Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to resolve the "planet" situation...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to resolve the "planet" situation...

I ran a search and all I found was some thread discussing the 10th planet, so I guess this is ok for a new thread. Basically as I'm sure you've all heard, there have been many Kuiper Belt objects that have come close in size to Pluto, and the most recent ("Xena"/2005 UB313) is actually bigger than Pluto. So how should the IAU resolve this? Basically there are 4 options:

1) Pluto get's demoted. There are 8 planets and likely when a firm definition is decided it will include a size limit somewhere close to Mercury's.

2) Xena and other KBO's not planets, but Pluto keeps it's status for historical reasons. The size limit again will probably be included in a determined definition to be somewhere closer to that of Mercury.

3) Pluto and Xena both planets, but Pluto is the lower limit and no other KBO's will be classified as planets. This could still result in even more planets, possibly another dozen or so.

4) Pluto and Xena both planets and the size limit is set even lower than Pluto, or possibly no size limit at all but a definition that only includes other factors. This possibility could allow for dozens, possibly hundreds of planets.

What are your guys thoughts? Personally I'm for option 1. Sorry Pluto. I try to think of it from an outside perspective. If an alien came to our solar system, how many planets would he count? 8.

Then that makes Xena a planet. Just because we haven't classified it as a planet doesn't mean that it isn't. it is biger then Pluto and it circles are Sun, therefore it is a planet.
    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I like number 2.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

This will be difficult for educators to handle, adjusting the state standards for this explosion of discoveries. Number 3 sounds good to me.
        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
        The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
        I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
        A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
        That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
        Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
        Caboose: They could be worse?
        Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
          Then that makes Xena a planet. Just because we haven't classified it as a planet doesn't mean that it isn't. it is biger then Pluto and it circles are Sun, therefore it is a planet.
          Just because I haven't classified my chair as a planet, doesn't mean it isn't.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
            I ran a search and all I found was some thread discussing the 10th planet, so I guess this is ok for a new thread. Basically as I'm sure you've all heard, there have been many Kuiper Belt objects that have come close in size to Pluto, and the most recent ("Xena"/2005 UB313) is actually bigger than Pluto. So how should the IAU resolve this? Basically there are 4 options:

1) Pluto get's demoted. There are 8 planets and likely when a firm definition is decided it will include a size limit somewhere close to Mercury's.

2) Xena and other KBO's not planets, but Pluto keeps it's status for historical reasons. The size limit again will probably be included in a determined definition to be somewhere closer to that of Mercury.

3) Pluto and Xena both planets, but Pluto is the lower limit and no other KBO's will be classified as planets. This could still result in even more planets, possibly another dozen or so.

4) Pluto and Xena both planets and the size limit is set even lower than Pluto, or possibly no size limit at all but a definition that only includes other factors. This possibility could allow for dozens, possibly hundreds of planets.

What are your guys thoughts? Personally I'm for option 1. Sorry Pluto. I try to think of it from an outside perspective. If an alien came to our solar system, how many planets would he count? 8.
            I think the second half of number 4 is the best idea. Until we explore more of the galaxy and have a better understanding of other systems I think we need to establish a different set of standards or quantifications for defining a planet. Size is to broad and imprecise.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
              I think the second half of number 4 is the best idea. Until we explore more of the galaxy and have a better understanding of other systems I think we need to establish a different set of standards or quantifications for defining a planet. Size is to broad and imprecise.
              Well you have a good point. For all we know, there could be a solar system out there that has Earth-size rocks floating around in the outer solar system and Jupiter-size regular planets. Size might be completely relative.

Comment

Well you have a good point. For all we know, there could be a solar system out there that has Earth-size rocks floating around in the outer solar system and Jupiter-size regular planets. Size might be completely relative.
                Exactly. I know it is a cheesy example but it is very pertinant. Look at the movie Men in Black. Our whole galaxy was the size of a marble to some aliens, and a whole other galaxy was the size of a marble in ours. Size is very relative. and thats not even going into the possibilities of the laws of physics being different in other parts of space than they are here. A foot here on earth might not be a foot in another part of the galaxy.

Comment

True - size is probably completely irrelevant.

Personally I don't think we should remove Pluto from planetary status, because i will always think of it as one.

I quite like the Solar system as it is - call it sentimental if you want. Besides. Think of all the textbooks that would go out of date!
                  I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                    True - size is probably completely irrelevant.

Personally I don't think we should remove Pluto from planetary status, because i will always think of it as one.

I quite like the Solar system as it is - call it sentimental if you want. Besides. Think of all the textbooks that would go out of date!
                    IMO we shouldn't keep it just for the sake of it. If it is counted then Xena definitly should be. Personally they both should be knocked off the list. Pluto is just a KBO. There are 8 planets.

Comment

IMO we shouldn't keep it just for the sake of it. If it is counted then Xena definitly should be. Personally they both should be knocked off the list. Pluto is just a KBO. There are 8 planets.
                      Yeah gotta agree with you there. Isn't pluto not even an orb? Isn't it supposed to be peanut shaped or like a double body rotating around itself?

Comment

Yeah gotta agree with you there. Isn't pluto not even an orb? Isn't it supposed to be peanut shaped or like a double body rotating around itself?
                        It's spherical, but it's considered a double-planet with it's moon Charon. They have two other moons too (some scientists also consider Earth-Moon a double planet).

Comment

(some scientists also consider Earth-Moon a double planet).
                          Do they really? That IS interesting.

Comment

Do they really? That IS interesting.
                            Yeah it's because the Moon is so large relative to the Earth. There are moons larger than the Moon in the solar system, but they are small relative to their planets because they orbit the gas giants. Mars' moons are small, and Mercury and Venus don't have any.

Comment

Yeah it's because the Moon is so large relative to the Earth. There are moons larger than the Moon in the solar system, but they are small relative to their planets because they orbit the gas giants. Mars' moons are small, and Mercury and Venus don't have any.
                              Thats true, I never really thought about it. Luna is what a quarter of terra's mass? That is really big compared to other planet/moon ratios. Thanks, Im gonna have to read up on this now! As if I don't have enough reading to do for classes already! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X