Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why have TPTB sidelined the three original SG-1 characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why have TPTB sidelined the three original SG-1 characters?

Appear to have demoted the Stargate actors/characters that have been on this show for the past 9 years?
    Sam, Daniel, Teal'c have taken a back seat to Mitchell. Watching last night as they had the little side story of Mitchells sick friend (which had nothing to do with nothing) it struck me how the show feels the need to showcase this one actor/character. Why?

How is it that Sam is not heading SG1? or at least allowing her a role that honors her position and time spent doing this show instead of trying to figure out how to get rid of her so they can reunite Ben and Claudia?

The same goes for Daniel and Teal'c and others who have made the show what it is.
    I have nothng against the new folks but wonder if this lack of loyalty to the long time characters is having a negative effect.

Last nights show could have been so good but because of a side story that was meant only to showcase Bens "star" role--it was awful.

I am not out to argue with anyone--just expressing how disgusted I am at this point. I dont know--its just wrong and I really think season 10--if it happens--will not get past the first half of its season.

I just dont get it

Cameron is the leader of SG-1 because Sam gave it up. Sam was is command of the rescue mission to save Teal'c, so she was hardly side-lined. Both Daniel and Teal'c have their respective times to shine..."Stronghold" was Mitchell's turn. As for Cameron losing his friend...it's called character-development.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Yes, the old characters are seemingly irrelevant. Heck its even somehow more important to see more details of some guy we have never seen before (and will never see again) then to get details on what’s going on with Teal'c.

And gee, why have the team solve the problem when Super Mitchell can do it all by himself. Not sure why anyone else even bothered going through the gate. Cant wait for Sundance come join Butchy next year that will be soooooo kwwwweeeelllll..... they can wear leather and the staff blast will just bounce off of them.

EDIT: Its like a case study on how to make someone hate a character. Atlantis is doing their own experiement with this subject with Sheppard but at least we knew him for a year before he became superstud.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
        Yes, the old characters are seemingly irrelevant. Heck its even somehow more important to see more details of some guy we have never seen before (and will never see again) then to get details on what’s going on with Teal'c.

And gee, why have the team solve the problem when Super Mitchell can do it all by himself. Not sure why anyone else even bothered going through the gate. Cant wait for Sundance come join Butchy next year that will be soooooo kwwwweeeelllll..... they can wear leather and the staff blast will just bounce off of them.
        You must be watching a different show.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
          You must be watching a different show.
          Well, its certianly not Stargate.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Well, its certianly not Stargate.
            I'm curious...did you voice these same concerns when Sam, Jack, Daniel, or Teal'c fought the enemy single-handedly and won over the last eight years? Or is this just blind hatred of the new guy and rampant hypocracy?

Comment

I'm curious...did you voice these same concerns when Sam, Jack, Daniel, or Teal'c fought the enemy single-handedly and won over the last eight years? Or is this just blind hatred of the new guy and rampant hypocracy?
              Which ep was that?

I actually like Mitchell when he is a military member of the team. I liked Collateral damage (a Mitchell ep) and Ripple effect. This was supposed to be a Teal'c ep. yet he was oddly missing for most of it.

Comment

Which ep was that?
                So it's the latter...

Comment

So it's the latter...
                  Tell me an ep where one member of SG-1 solved the problem all by themselves in S1-S8 and I will tell you if I liked the ep or not. I cant think of anything except maybe that one with Carter and the supersolder.... she didnt really solve that problem though... there was grace...didnt really like that one.... Give me some more.

EDIT: I got one. There but for the grace of god.... wait, no Daniel had help from the AU SGC..... hmmmmm ... Abysss... nope pretty much needed ascended daniel and then the other SG-1 team members to trick the goa'uld into attacking baal.... I am still working on it though.

Comment

Cameron is the leader of SG-1 because Sam gave it up. Sam was is command of the rescue mission to save Teal'c, so she was hardly side-lined. Both Daniel and Teal'c have their respective times to shine..."Stronghold" was Mitchell's turn. As for Cameron losing his friend...it's called character-development.
                    I would agree with you if it was just this episode. Right or wrong--IMO and it is simply an opinion--with the exception of Daniel in the beginning--it seems like the long time characters are all sidelined.

Comment

Nothing in S1
                      Nothing in S2
                      Foothold maybe... no Jack and Major Davis and Maybourn all helped in that one..
                      Shades of Gray.... that was pretty much Jack solves the problem..... maybe that one qualifies, yea I can see that. Of course he was unders specific orders from Hammond and it would have been hard to put the entire team undercover.
                      Nemis -- Super Jack... no wait, Hammond ordered the rest of the team to help him and TOGETHER they solved the problem ... well except Daniel, but since the actor had apedix taken out I guess we can give him a pass.
                      So No to S3 too

S4
                      Small Vicotries Sam did help thor all by herself while Jack and Teal'c were taking care of the sub... but then Sam did have Thors help and Jack and Teal'c had the entire SGC.
                      First ones -- Daniel.. no he was captured against his will and then rescued by the rest of the team
                      Absolute Power -- no it was all a dream
                      Nope nothing like this in season 4 either.

Onto S5
                      Ascension? yea I can give you ascension... of course Orlin actually was the one that solved the problemm in the ep.
                      Fith man? Jack was saved by the TEAM
                      Desperatte Measuers? Carter was saved by the TEAM
                      Summit\Last Stand? Daniel was working with Jacob on a specific plan and the rest of SG-1 got wumped pretty bad as a TEAM
                      Nope nothing like it in Season 5 either.

Onto S6.....

Comment

Apparently you didn't notice the 20 or so Marines (along with Sam and Daniel) that went through the gate with Mitchell. From my recollection it was a pitched battle...the others we not just sitting on their hands while Mitchell did all the work.

Comment

Apparently you didn't notice the 20 or so Marines (along with Sam and Daniel) that went through the gate with Mitchell. From my recollection it was a pitched battle...the others we not just sitting on their hands while Mitchell did all the work.
                          S6
                          Redemtion 1\2…. Teal’c had Bra’tec and Ryac’s help. The SGC had Mckays help but the Jonas comes up with the solution was slightly annoying but they really were trying too hard with that character at first too. Luckily they gave that up early in the season.
                          Shadow play…. Maybe all jonas? But then the TEAM did clue him in on him being wrong.
                          The other guys… yeah that was kind of annoying but the TEAM saved the day
                          Pometheus… SuperSam? It was looking like it but then Jack and Teal’c showed up to Save the day so no.
                          Paradise lost… well jack was alone but there really wasn’t that much of a problem where he was and the TEAM rescued him.
                          Changeling… SuperTeal’c? well except the TEAM saved his life.
                          Prophecy…. SuperJonas… yea I didn’t really like this ep.

So one loner superhero ep in this S6 in Prophecy which I didn’t like.

S7
                          Enemy Mine… only Daniel… it was pretty boring.
                          Space Race … Carter only and then Teal’c with ‘miles’ and they were saved by Jack and Daneil. I didn’t think this ep was that bad but not too good either…kinda S9ish

Avenger 2.0 --- yes very, very annoying ep were Carter is forced to work with feldger who was the superhero in this ep. Didn’t like it.

Grace – bad ep
                          Chimera – team ep but still bad
                          Death knell – we already covered this one.

So s7 does start the decline with 5 such eps none of which I liked.

S8
                          Zero Hour – Jack at the SGC…but the whole SGC helped him and he really didn’t actually solve anything.
                          ICON - crpy ep.
                          Avatar--- THE ENTIRE MESSAGE OF THIS EP IS THE TEAM IS NECESSARY. Good ep.
                          Affinity – crp
                          Prometheus Unbound –not too good but will reframe from calling it crp.. also Hammond came to the rescue of Daniel.
                          Theads --- no Oma saved the day.

So not really anything in S8 either….

So please tell me where all the eps are where "when Sam, Jack, Daniel, or Teal'c fought the enemy single-handedly and won over the last eight years?" are located.

AND yes I did, too bad Mitchell didnt happen to notice them too.

I dont hate Mitchell. I hate SUPER MITCHELL!!!!!

Comment

I am, again, curious...exactly what gate are you a fan of? Watergate? Enemy at the Gates? Gateway PCs?
                            Dang, I just took the time to review plots of the last 8 years and am comparing them to the plots in S9 and now you question my Fandom? Nice. Gee your right,I must really not be a gate fan.
                            Or maybe I am a gate fan that is just saddened by the fall-off of the team show for the new single character centered show.

Comment

I am, again, curious...exactly what gate are you a fan of? Watergate? Enemy at the Gates? Gateway PCs?
                              He is probably like me a more of a fan of the past gates.
                              "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Working...
                              X