This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miscellaneous Thoughts...Goa'uld Tech/Wraith/Anubis

Hi, I'm new to the Forum, but a long time Stargate fan. I love Atlantis too! Just some food for thought...Let me know if u agree or disagree.

1. Goa'uld Technology...I've seen several posts indicating that the Goa'uld did not develop their own tech, but stole it from other races -- most of it coming from the Ancients. Ya, maybe that's true, but I don't think the transport rings are Ancient technology even though there is evidence that they are (e.g., transport rings in the Ancient outposts, etc.). The Ancients are supposed to be way more advanced than the Asgard, who are presumably more advanced than the Aschen. However, the Asgard and Aschen have really cool, and more advanced transport devices. So do the Wraith. If the Asgard and Aschen have more advanced transport devices than the Ancients transport rings, which the Goa'uld stole, that doesn't seem logical. It seems to me that the Goa'uld were the ones who really developed the transport rings, not the Ancients. This just seems an inconsistency in the writing. The Ancients would have transport tech similar to the Wraith or Asgard, not less advanced. Any ideas?

Also, the Goa'uld ships, including their hyperdrive tech, seem uniquely Goa'uld; there doesn't seem to be any Ancient involvement in the Goa'uld ship designs. I guess my point is, the Goa'uld aren't so lame if you think about it. Yeah, they took a lot of stuff from a lot of peeps, but I also think they developed a lot of their own tech too.

2. Anubis...I think Anubis may actually be "alive", or that he survived the Ancient weapon. I've read some threads about him being destroyed and about him surviving, but I think he is able to exist outside his "physical" form. So, is this Friday's episode "Lockdown" actually about him invading Col. Karpov and Dr. Jackson? Has anyone heard that it might be Anubis? Also, is Dr. Jackson supposed to fight Anubis later in the season?

3. The Wraith...are kickass! I loved the Wraith Keeper; she was evil beyond evil. I think that the Wraith are the dark enemy the hologram spoke of in Rising. I think the Ancients got to Pegasus, were all cocky and thought they were all that, and then woke the Wraith up. The Wraith were somewhat equal to the Ancients and kicked major Ancient butt. I don't think there will be any bigger and badder enemies coming out of hte Pegasus galaxy any time soon. Maybe later they will introduce another enemy, but I don't think for now they will.

My thoughts...

Possible Spoilers for Lockdown

1) You have many good points about the ring technology, but I think it is just Ancient tech. To be honest, I can't explain why they don't have a more advanced transport system.

2) I'm tempted to say spoiler alert.... but I realize you're just speculating, you don't know for sure. I had no clue who this alien
    could be in Lockdown, but the previews/spoilers said something to the effect that it's an alien that SG-1 knows. It's very possible it's Anubis. However, it still feels like the episode has been "spoiled" for me. I usually put in spoiler alerts to be safe.

3) i agree about the Wraiths. Can't wait for more episodes with them.

Comment

I didn't think the Ancients were all cocky, but since we don't know much about their war, i can't say much I mean, for all we know, maybe the Wraith came and conquered, period. haha...
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Wraith Keeper? That's her name? What's she credited as? I just call her she-Wraith for now. Good points tho

Seems to be a common recurring theme on the show that technologically advanced races are cocky, or at least too complacent to realize the flaws in their ways... until SG-1 shakes 'em up!
        Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
        more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

I think the rings are very old. When the ancients were not as advanced they built the rings. And then started to use technology similar to the asgard. The gould just happened to find an old set of rings and started mass producing them.
          -EARCK

"You ended that sentence in a preposition, *******!"
          -Jack O'Niell

Comment

Originally posted by earck
            I think the rings are very old. When the ancients were not as advanced they built the rings. And then started to use technology similar to the asgard. The gould just happened to find an old set of rings and started mass producing them.
            This is doubtful. The ancients had the tech to build the gates and make Atlantis fly to the pegasus galaxy MILLIONS of years ago, but couldn't create advanced transporter tech? If the rings were "very old" like you say, then that means they are older than Atlantis. I think the Goa'uld built the rings based on stargate technology. The Ancients must have had advanced Asgard-like Wraith-like transporters. Otherwise, they would be less advanced than the Asgard, and we know that's not true.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
              This is doubtful. The ancients had the tech to build the gates and make Atlantis fly to the pegasus galaxy MILLIONS of years ago, but couldn't create advanced transporter tech? If the rings were "very old" like you say, then that means they are older than Atlantis. I think the Goa'uld built the rings based on stargate technology. The Ancients must have had advanced Asgard-like Wraith-like transporters. Otherwise, they would be less advanced than the Asgard, and we know that's not true.
              They may have had the technology, but the rings may have advantages over the other transporter tech.

Spoilers New Order, then Atlantis

For example, Thor couldn't transport that Replicator off the ship. Maybe rings would have.

Anyway, Rings just seem better for travel within a city. For example, Atlantis.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                They may have had the technology, but the rings may have advantages over the other transporter tech.

Spoilers New Order, then Atlantis

For example, Thor couldn't transport that Replicator off the ship. Maybe rings would have.

Anyway, Rings just seem better for travel within a city. For example, Atlantis.
                Do they have rings in Atlantis?

Comment

I don't know if we have seen any in SA yet, but from the outposts that SG-1 has encountered there probably is somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                    Hi, I'm new to the Forum, but a long time Stargate fan. I love Atlantis too! Just some food for thought...Let me know if u agree or disagree.

1. Goa'uld Technology...I've seen several posts indicating that the Goa'uld did not develop their own tech, but stole it from other races -- most of it coming from the Ancients. Ya, maybe that's true, but I don't think the transport rings are Ancient technology even though there is evidence that they are (e.g., transport rings in the Ancient outposts, etc.). The Ancients are supposed to be way more advanced than the Asgard, who are presumably more advanced than the Aschen. However, the Asgard and Aschen have really cool, and more advanced transport devices. So do the Wraith. If the Asgard and Aschen have more advanced transport devices than the Ancients transport rings, which the Goa'uld stole, that doesn't seem logical. It seems to me that the Goa'uld were the ones who really developed the transport rings, not the Ancients. This just seems an inconsistency in the writing. The Ancients would have transport tech similar to the Wraith or Asgard, not less advanced. Any ideas?

Also, the Goa'uld ships, including their hyperdrive tech, seem uniquely Goa'uld; there doesn't seem to be any Ancient involvement in the Goa'uld ship designs. I guess my point is, the Goa'uld aren't so lame if you think about it. Yeah, they took a lot of stuff from a lot of peeps, but I also think they developed a lot of their own tech too.
                    I think the rings are probably a specialized form of transporter for quickly moving between predetermined destinations. The Ancients probably have a second form of teleportation designed for going to/leaving from places without a "station".

Also, the Aschen transporters, while "cool" looking, required a station at both ends (they stood on a platform to be transported in "2001").

The Goa'uld tech, you must remember, is a mish-mash of scavenged tech. Beyond a few individual components, Goa'uld tech won't look like the stuff it's "borrowed" from.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I think it follows script so far to say the Ancients and their allies seeded the galaxy with Star Gates. Also since they seeded the star gates in the Pegesus galaxy they would also have seed the known galaxy

Comment

spoiler space....

the rings do seem to be an ancient invention and if you dont want to know this then stop reading............................in atlantis there was some sort of transpotation system that didnt use "rings" but produced the same noise as the rings...giving more support to the fact that the ring style of transporter was an ancient invention.

Comment

This actually comes from O'Neill's love of Simpsons...how I got the idea. Remember when the Indian gives Bart that vision, where he and Ralph have a band...anyways..

"So, are we taking the hover bus, or the non-hover bus"

*Checks pockets*

"Non Hover"

I dont know if thats how it worked back then, but we've seen that the rings are used most offten as a planet to ship transport, where we've only seen the 'elevators' from Hide and Seek to go about Atlantis. Maybe thats all they do. Or maybe, one Galaxy gets rings, the other Elevator type dealies...

::rambles on::

Not so happy that Daniel died now, are we Jonas?

Comment

Rings might be a lot more power efficient or something.

Comment

also, the Ancients havent been working on tech lately and the Asgard have still be truckin' so maybe if the Ancients hadnt gone all ascended then they would have non-ring like transporters by now

Comment

Working...
                              X