• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Wolf (2712/112)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 27
    BAD WOLF
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2712

The Doctor, Rose, and Captain Jack find themselves pulled into futuristic game shows against their wills, and learn that the games are lethal to the losers.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:25 PM.

What's not to love with this episode? I think it really has everything a Doctor Who episode should have. A mystery, strange situations, Doctor and Companions being separated, mortal peril and Daleks. Nothing wrong with any of that. Part 1 of an amazing 2 parter, Bad Wolf is largely setup, but what a great setup.

That "No" speech at the end gives me goosebumps.

8/10
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

This was a fantastic episode. I loved how they put each character into a situation that would practically suit them in the fact theat the Doctor was but into the BIg Brother and how Jack was put in to what not to wear.
      spoiler for ep 27.13
      Spoiler:
      I also liked how we almost had another companion Lynda and I dont see why they got rid of her later.
      Last edited by Madeleine; 03 June 2006, 09:31 PM.
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

This is my favourite episode of this series. And all because of the ending. When The Doctor confronts the daleks and tells them "no"... that moment and anything past that moment (including the previews of the next ep) causes something to stir inside me. I can't explain it. Seeing the Doctor standing up agaisnt such immeasurable odds, showing his bravery and then launching a head on attack against the dalek fleet in his TARDIS, i love it.

The stuff of legends.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Bloody hell! Rose just got disintegrated!

Edit: OMG! Frelling Daleks!
          Last edited by Major Tyler; 02 June 2006, 05:56 PM.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

this was the best ep i seen so far i liked the begining with them all being on realtiy shows my fave was the linkest link. also the ending to with the doctor telling the Daleks no. i dident see that coming i wish i knew more about the Daleks thou it sucks being a noob to this show but i liked the whole ep i can't wait until next week i was kind of hopeing scifi would show both eps back to back.

Comment

love Jack's reaction to Rose apparent death

Comment

Jack and the "defabricator" was pretty funny.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

that was cool too

Comment

The doctor, the only one who could make that threat
                    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I thought it was pretty cool when the Doctor grabs that big gun...looks all threatening...but then just tosses it to one of the guys in the control room.hehe
                      It feels good to be alive.
                      Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

The Controller was an interesting idea - a sentient human component in the Game Station's systems.
                        It might have been another Babylon 5 reference

"The Controller is linked to the transmissions. The entire output goes through her brain - you're not a member of staff so she doesn't recognize your existence ... She was installed when she was five years old. That's the only life she's ever known"

The vision of society presented in Bad Wolf was interesting too:
                        • The games, where people are selected at random from the Earth's populace, without their consent, and play for their lives. If they loose, they die.
                        • Looks like lots of the legal and justice systems got privatised: "Sir, I'm arresting you under Private Legislation Sixteen of the Game Station Syndicate ... You will be taken from this place to the Lunar Penal Colony, there to be held without trial, you may not appeal against this sentence. Is that understood?". And they also supposedly execute you for not paying your TV license

Comment

little details that amaze me about DrWHO...
                          First: the *Big Brother reality house spoof*
                          ..that beginning was so Un-Who like (or maybe Very-Who like) with the rock music blaring...
                          and that adorable, red-colored *love* CHAIR! with its softened heart-shaped back!!
                          It just fit the Doctor and the whole scene so totally perfectly!
                          very *cool*...!!

But a question: Was the 1st guy in that house David Tennant doing a precursor character of the 10th doctor? Sure looked like him. Sci-Fi channel has a bad habit of squishing the credits listing at the end so that they're unreadable, in order to fit their advertisements.
                          Interesting if it was, even if he only remotely looked like David (DW#10)...

Originally posted by Fatewarns:
                          love Jack's reaction to Rose apparent death
                          I think Jack took over with all the action, because the Doctor went into catatonic shock from losing Rose. Jack reacted instantly on his instincts, and it helped make the Doctor's own reaction to losing Rose that much more compelling and tragic.

I thought that was the most compassionate reaction from the Doctor of all his other selves. He's been deeply saddened before from losing someone close to him, but never gone into total catatonic shock as he did in this episode. Complete and total *classic* withdrawal. No emotions, and from what we saw - not answering to the interrogation questions either. The guards could push him around, and he'd simply obey their commands.

Jack was doing all of the talking from start to finish, until the escape route became available; and then the Doctor swung back to life and into action.

Originally posted by IMForeman:
                          That "No" speech at the end gives me goosebumps.
                          I thought it was funny (as in odd), because of how everyone next to the Doctor just stared at him, and then the 2 daleks suddenly looked up him, as if in disbelief of what they heard. I didn't expect the one dalek to try to talk the Doctor out of his determined goal ~ for the sake of Rose's imperiled life, if not for their own metal hydes.

Terrified Daleks... the blind Controller lady did say:
                          "my Masters... they *fear* the Doctor..."

Revealing them (the Daleks as the enemy *masters*) in a mirror type reflection, was great camera mystery work...

Yep; based on the previous "Dalek" ep, I knew at that moment, only one creature in the universe feared the Doctor - the Daleks. I just found it strange that massive Dalek armies could fear one person: apparently the Doctor is most menacing when he is without any obvious weapons other than just his unpredictable wits about him.

Comment

i loved this episode, the way jack pulled the gun out of "thin air" (or so it would seem).
                            i missed this episode the first time round, so only caught the repeat that was on not long ago.
                            First ever "Torchwood" reference in this episode.
                            Hola

Hello

Comment

It shows what damage the Time Lord could do by going around Earth's history and changing it wherever he can, ven if he meant to do good.
                              It showed again another return of the Daleks but I beleive that the creators only did this to gain more viewers for the finally. IMO they should have left it at 'Dalek' and brought the Daleks back in a later episode in season two. It was nice to see the parodies of modern shows and see how far humanity would go to remain entertained in a thousand years.
                              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                              X