• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom Town (2711/111)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 27
    BOOM TOWN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2711

When the TARDIS stops on Earth for refueling, the Doctor, Rose, and Captain Jack discover that one of the Slitheen has survived and is hatching a new plot to escape Earth. Rose must resolve her relationship with Mickey.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:25 PM.

Some hate this episode. Some love it. I'm of the latter category. I think Boomtown is a fabulous character piece, with an interesting moral take. Plus, bringing back the excellent Anette Badland is always good with me. It's a smaller, quieter story. Almost a bottle episode.

I think Boomtown gets an underved bad rep.

8/10
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I really enjoyed this ep. Yes it was slower compared to it preceding ep but how the heck could it ever live up to that. I think it did a good job of integrating Jack as a companion, losing the larger-than-life persona that he had in TDD and not threatening Rose's position as the main sidekick.

I loved the moral dilemma question of whether by delivering Margaret to her death were they as bad as the executioners, again DW faces up to real life dilemmas, and makes the audience think. Brilliant interplay between the Doctor and Margaret.

The thing that made alot of sense in this ep for me though was the way that the Tardis was introduced to new viewers as something of power. Without having seen Margaret changed I think events of Parting of The Ways might have been a bit harder to understand.

Oh, and for me it was in this ep that the Bad Wolf references really hit home, and got me in a right tizzy about things. Overall 8/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
        The thing that made alot of sense in this ep for me though was the way that the Tardis was introduced to new viewers as something of power.
        I didn't care for that. One thing that I always disliked about Doctor Who was constantly plot-specific technologies, and having the Tardis suddenly develop godlike powers and save the day just seemed like an incredible lame resolution. It reminds me of something Tom Baker once said about the sonic screwdriver: "It could open any door in the universe...unless of course it couldn't, depending on the script that week."

I think it's true: the Doctor loves Rose. Ever notice how hostile he gets around other men who could possibly be a competitor for her affections? Except for Captain Jack, but he and Jack seem to have some kind of understanding. Poor Mickey. Guy can't get a break.
        Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
        I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
        What have these years left to me?
        Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Well its been about 2 months since I last saw this, but I might as well talk about it while Im here.

The story itself was a bit of a let down. But the saving grace, the thing that shone out in this episode was the fact that for the first time we got to see the point of view of someone who fights the Doctor. The moral dialema was fantastic, what right does the Doctor have to play God? On one hand you think "he has no right" but on the other you have the "he's the last member of possibly the most powerful race ever, he has to take charge". Showing that conflict is a stroke of billiance, but having the Doctor himself question that, and you could see that he was, is undescribably inspired. Then came the psycology side of things, the Doctor showing his wisdom when dealing with his enemies was fantastic.

Though slower and possibly less interesting than the last two eps, the things I described above are good enough to redeem it

8/10
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

The theme is echoed briefly in New Earth too:

DOCTOR If they live because of this, then life is worthless.

NOVICE HAME But who are you to decide that?

DOCTOR I'm the Doctor. And if you don't like it ... if you want to take it to a higher authority ... then there isn't one. It stops with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
              The theme is echoed briefly in New Earth too:

DOCTOR If they live because of this, then life is worthless.

NOVICE HAME But who are you to decide that?

DOCTOR I'm the Doctor. And if you don't like it ... if you want to take it to a higher authority ... then there isn't one. It stops with me.
              Yes that did come to mind, as did the majority of Finch/Doctor scenes in School Reunion
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I liked it, its funny how the doctor was a couple steps ahead of her the whole ep
                Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I love this episode, its a favorite of mine. Cant wait to see it again later. The starting of the episode is my favorite.

MICKEY: My God, have you seen yourselves? You all think you're so clever, don't you?
                  DOCTOR: Yeah!
                  ROSE: Yeah!
                  JACK: Yep!

Comment

Saw the ep on Friday...

Wow. This is such a fantastic episode. Great ending, a FANTASTIC character episode with some dramatics.

The dinner between the Doctor and the alien was sooooo well done.
                    I'm gushing!
                    It feels good to be alive.
                    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                      Saw the ep on Friday...

Wow. This is such a fantastic episode. Great ending, a FANTASTIC character episode with some dramatics.

The dinner between the Doctor and the alien was sooooo well done.
                      I'm gushing!
                      IMO, the next two episodes are even better.

The best part of this episode was the character interactions.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                        IMO, the next two episodes are even better.

The best part of this episode was the character interactions.
                        Yea It was good to see a chracter driven story
                        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I like this episode, I loved the whole restraunt thing, between the Doctor and the alien. It was funny, they need to get rid of Micky I dont like him, LOL.

Currently Watching: SGU Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice

Rewatch: BSG, SGA, SG:1 Farscape, X files

Comment

Actually, I think he's great.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I like Mickey. While he is a bit of a dufus....I can see where he's coming from. I'd feel the same way if my girlfriend just LEFT me...i'd feel like dirt. Then i'd get over it and date someone else. =P
                              It feels good to be alive.
                              Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Working...
                              X