• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Empty Child (2709/109)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 27
    THE EMPTY CHILD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2709

The Doctor and Rose follow another time ship to Earth, where they find themselves in London in the middle of a German air raid. While Rose gets to know a handsome fellow time traveller, the Doctor encounters a ghostly lost child.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:24 PM.

"Are you my Mummy?" will always be a dark phrase for me now. What an amazing episode! Creepy, and facinating. A fantastic intro to Captain Jack, and an intruiging mystery unfolding. This episode takes the classic "Companion gets separated from the Doctor" formula and turns it on it's head for a new era. One of the best Doctor Who stories EVER.

9/10
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I agree this one and the Doctor Dances are my favourites

Comment

All I can say is 10/10 see my post in the Doctor Dances for more about this brilliant two parter.
        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

My eldest woke three nights ago at 2am, and called 'Mummy!' in EXACTLY the same voice that the boy used. It freaked me out so much I thought my heartbeat would wake the next door neighbours

Madeleine

Comment

This one also led to a new craze at Halloween later that year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...02/26485.shtml

Armies of Empty Children stalking the streets... *shudder*

Comment

Originally posted by Nuallain
              This one also led to a new craze at Halloween later that year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/...02/26485.shtml

Armies of Empty Children stalking the streets... *shudder*
              Wow theres even a Pumpkin version of Sutekh the Destroyer. Fantastic !!
              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

This episode was chilling, well written and well acted. I honestly couldnt think of a way to improve it. The child was possibly the best villain of the season, and Jack was brilliant in it. Billie acting at her best as was Chris. Sum it up in one word? FANTASTIC *cheesy grin*

Favourite Quote: Just has to be "Eh... might seem like a stupid question, but has anything fallen from the sky recently?"

10/10

American viewers, y'all in for a treat on Friday
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

It was good, would have been great to have seen it W/o comercials... They seemed to inturupt the flow, but it was good, I can't wait to see THe Doctor Dances
                  Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

This two-parter is one of my favorites and not just because of the hotness that is Captain Jack.

Chilling, creepy, great mystery, humor, romance... *sigh*

School Reunion's a favorite for the characters, but this one's good for the plot, IMO. And the characters. Especially Jack.

Now, if Shep could only channel Captain Jack, he might be a lot more interesting.

Or I could gripe about him trying to be Captain Jack. LOL!

Comment

I did kind of like the whole atmorespheic setting of the episode, it reminded me of an X-Files episode. The kid's crying of "Mummy" is a little uneasy.

A little note: Is SF trying to kill the series? I mean this is second time that SF hasn't aired previews when in fact there is a new episode next week.
                      "Nothing stays lost forever." The Triangle tag line. Now on DVD, own it forever.

Rose: "She slapped you!"
                      The Doctor: "900 years of time and space, and i've never been slapped by someone's mother."
                      Rose: "Your face!"
                      The Doctor:"it hurt!!"
                      The 9th Doctor/Rose from Aliens of London.

Comment

Yeah, "Mummy" is a creepy word, now. And gasmasks... yeek.

Comment

This is such a good episode... you wouldn't believe, but I was quite scared by this kid... I'm surprised I'm not more scared when sprog yells out "Mummy".
                          Our gas-mask child scares me more than the Daleks, Cybermen, and other monsters combined. I laugh at the Daleks but that kid makes me want to run behind the couch and hide.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by northstar_08030
                            A little note: Is SF trying to kill the series? I mean this is second time that SF hasn't aired previews when in fact there is a new episode next week.
                            Perhaps because it was a two-parter which ended with an apparent "no escape" situation, they didn't want to show anything.

Comment

Wow, I don't remember the last time I watched something so creepy. Those gas masks have always creeped me out. And that kid saying mom umm sorry Mummy. Good ep.

Comment

Working...
                              X