No announcement yet.

The Long Game (2707/107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because it's never been done doesn't make it bad, and I dunno if I'd call Adam a Companion, he was more of a... guest. Rose invited him, not the Doctor. But me being me, I just wish Adam had a bit more development so that we could put what he did into better context. And yeah, I know it's a bit silly, but I tend to be obnoxious about stuff like that. I just found it very... random. I suppose it wasn't, given the desperate, groveling nature of his character in Dalek, but the abject greed and selfishness kinda caught me offguard. I could buy a "kid in a candy store" mentality, but this was more like a kid who stuffs his pockets full of samples so he can take them back to his home lab and make his OWN candy. If that makes any sense.

Whatever. The ep is over, Adam is history in more ways than one, and there's a lot of fun coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I dunno. I guess what bugged me about that whole thing was the small-mindedness of it. Adam assumed his trip through time was only a temporary thing and that he'd eventually get home to collect that message- and get home within a time frame that it wouldn't be a nuisance to keep holding that message on the machine. Must be a case of different mentalities, 'cause if I got invited onto the TARDIS, I sure as hell wouldn't be planning my life for when I got home, I'd be more interested in what the next great adventure would be. There'd be time enough for reality later- AFTER all the fun.
      I can see where you're coming from.

Personally, I'm the type of person who loves learning new things.
      I would have just gotten the regular chip, sat down, and learned as much as I could.
      No one with any level of intellectual curiousity would do any different.
      No one remembered anything when using the more powerful chip, so that would have been useless for my purposes.

However, he was doing more than satisfying personal curiousity, he was planning to alter history for his personal benefit.

Some people just have an opportunistic streak.

Comment

Just because it's never been done doesn't make it bad, and I dunno if I'd call Adam a Companion, he was more of a... guest. Rose invited him, not the Doctor. But me being me, I just wish Adam had a bit more development so that we could put what he did into better context. And yeah, I know it's a bit silly, but I tend to be obnoxious about stuff like that. I just found it very... random. I suppose it wasn't, given the desperate, groveling nature of his character in Dalek, but the abject greed and selfishness kinda caught me offguard. I could buy a "kid in a candy store" mentality, but this was more like a kid who stuffs his pockets full of samples so he can take them back to his home lab and make his OWN candy. If that makes any sense.
        The whole point of Adam was to show not everyone has what it takes to travel with the Doctor.

Adam was an intelligent and interesting character, but he was too opportunistic, too easily frightened, and ruined his chance to travel the universe.

Whatever. The ep is over, Adam is history in more ways than one, and there's a lot of fun coming up.
        IMO, the next three episodes are some of the best stories of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
          The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe is my favorite monster name ever.
          It's such a British Sci-Fi name, isn't it? Ranks right up there with the Jatravartids of Viltvoodle Six...

I found this episode...puzzling. So wait, human history wasn't progressing the way it was supposed to? Humanity was supposed to be in a different place, but the presence of this monster disrupted the course of development? How did...what...I don't...oh my head just exploded.

And are there two Billie Pipers? She just seems to look dramatically different from episode to episode. This episode she looked quite pretty. The Dalek episode...not so much. Maybe it was the lighting or something...
          Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
          I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
          What have these years left to me?
          Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

I think the time war has had many consequinces that have others to mess with the time line
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
              Well, let's review what I said.

I'm looking for the part where I supposedly judged him and I don't see it
              And I certainly don't see the part where I said "It wouldn't be tempting to do what he did."
              Obviously, it was or he wouldn't have done it.
              sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
                I found this episode...puzzling. So wait, human history wasn't progressing the way it was supposed to? Humanity was supposed to be in a different place, but the presence of this monster disrupted the course of development? How did...what...I don't...oh my head just exploded.
                This is one of the mysteries that will be addressed later.

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy
                And are there two Billie Pipers? She just seems to look dramatically different from episode to episode. This episode she looked quite pretty. The Dalek episode...not so much. Maybe it was the lighting or something...
                Cosmetics, lighting, camera angles, camera lenses, etc.

All part of the illusion.

Remember, when we watch television, we're seeing the views through camera lense that are usually larger than our the lense of our eyes, each with different levels of distortion than our eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatewarns
                  sorry
                  It was just a misunderstanding. No big deal.

I was just trying to head off a debate on something I didn't say.

Comment

I can see where you're coming from.

Personally, I'm the type of person who loves learning new things.
                    I would have just gotten the regular chip, sat down, and learned as much as I could.
                    No one with any level of intellectual curiousity would do any different.
                    No one remembered anything when using the more powerful chip, so that would have been useless for my purposes.

However, he was doing more than satisfying personal curiousity, he was planning to alter history for his personal benefit.

Some people just have an opportunistic streak.
                    I enjoyed watching Adam's little light go on and his attempted machinations. (Plus I really liked the scenes with The Nurse.) Didn't bother me that he was opportunistic, I liked that streak in him! Without that I think the ep would have been less interesting overall with just the "big monster in charge needs to be killed" storyline.

I thought that made him more interesting. Then again, I liked Turlough (character from the old series...very devious).
                    Me, too.

Comment

I thought that made him more interesting. Then again, I liked Turlough (character from the old series...very devious).
                      I think it highlights of the complexities of the human mind... that you could like a person one minute and detest him the next.

I liked Turlough too... it was interesting to have a companion whose motives one could never be entirely sure of.
                      But I think the Doctor knew pretty much early on what was going on.

I didn't mind The Long Game... it was very amusing to see the whole forehead popping thing even if it was creepy on some level.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I couldn't fully watch the episode, because my niece was acting up again, drawing my attention away from the episode to do something with the Web. While, this is acceptable with an American show, it another story all together with an UK show.

Okay, the one thing that I notice was the Editor look a little like Ted Tunner.
                        "Nothing stays lost forever." The Triangle tag line. Now on DVD, own it forever.

Rose: "She slapped you!"
                        The Doctor: "900 years of time and space, and i've never been slapped by someone's mother."
                        Rose: "Your face!"
                        The Doctor:"it hurt!!"
                        The 9th Doctor/Rose from Aliens of London.

Comment

Loved this episode.
                          It feels good to be alive.
                          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

One thing that twigged for me when watching this ep again. The Editor talks about how he can topple governments and start revolutions and whatever with a few simple sentences. Which reminded me of Christmas Invasion...

Spoiler:
                            The Doctor set up the downfall of "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" with a few simple words.

It's probably just a coincidence, but it was still kinda interesting, IMO.

Comment

Words can be very powerful
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

The Editor is such a fantastic character plus he is played by one of my favourite british comedy actors Simon Pegg otherwise known as Shaun in the great comedy film Shaun of the Dead. He just plays the villian very well !!!
                                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Working...
                                X