• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalek (2706/106)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 27
    DALEK
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2706

When a distress signal pulls the Tardis to an underground bunker in the early twenty-first century, the Doctor finds the sole survivor of the Daleks, the genetically engineered species that exterminated the Time Lords.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:23 PM.

The first unequivical classic of the new series. Dalek puts menace into the old pepperpots. I never even thought it would be possible to make them scary to me... or to actually give a Dalek a character and personality. Great acting from a Dalek? Is there such a thing? YES! Apparantly it is! So, so much going on in this episode, but it would be remiss not to mention Eccleston. In many ways it's his finest, if darkest turn. That scene in the Vault with the Doctor and the Dalek... it's just so eminently rewatchable.

9/10. Near flawless.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

This one was my least favourite, touchy, feely Daleks are a real disappointment

Comment

I didn't really like the Daleks or find them a believable enemy until this episode. Love the scenes between the Doctor and the Dalek and they manage to pull off the Dalek with emotions without it being too cheesy.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
          This one was my least favourite, touchy, feely Daleks are a real disappointment
          But that's just it... this was not a touchy, feely Dalek. This was a lethal, determined, virtually unstoppable, murdered more than 200 people Dalek. Once it started developing emotions it was sickened and decided it wanted death over humanity. A Dalek with emotions isn't a Dalek at all... and this one decided it's own destruction was preferrable. Hence the "I will not be like you! This isn't life, this is sickness!"
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I thought it was a great episode it had all the elements of a fantastic Dalek story. PLus it had Anna-lousie Ploughman guest starring and doing a fantastic job of it. The second best story in the season .(The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances hold onto first place with gnashing teeth XD )
            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
              The first unequivical classic of the new series. Dalek puts menace into the old pepperpots. I never even thought it would be possible to make them scary to me... or to actually give a Dalek a character and personality. Great acting from a Dalek? Is there such a thing? YES! Apparantly it is! So, so much going on in this episode, but it would be remiss not to mention Eccleston. In many ways it's his finest, if darkest turn. That scene in the Vault with the Doctor and the Dalek... it's just so eminently rewatchable.

9/10. Near flawless.
              I agree with you totally. This was the first time in all my years of watching Who that I actually found the Daleks menacing enough to be a threat.
              But I thought this episode was more about the Doctor's inner darkness than the Dalek's. The Dalek was a catalyst for his long suppressed anger about the Time Wars. There was something truly poignant and very dark about the Doctor here.
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Agreed regarding the whole threat issue.

Usually when I see a TV enemy I sit there thinking. "Right I could take them, all I'd do would be... [insert battle plan here] and then I win" but these daleks had me stumped... I literally found a situation that by no stretch of the imagination could I ever imagination defeating the Daleks... thats wow.

And I did love the dalek at the end. I may be male, but I'm brave enough to say that brought a tear to my eye. VERY powerful scene.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

And I did love the dalek at the end. I may be male, but I'm brave enough to say that brought a tear to my eye. VERY powerful scene.
                  That's what I mean about touchy feely Daleks, can you see Davros doing that.

Comment

No but then Davros wouldnt allow a Dalek to experience anything other than hate. This dalek experienced other things, other sensations, compassion... and it was too much for it. It was what it was, a creature of hatred and death. It is its nature to destroy. Feeling other things is sickening to it...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                      Agreed regarding the whole threat issue.

Usually when I see a TV enemy I sit there thinking. "Right I could take them, all I'd do would be... [insert battle plan here] and then I win" but these daleks had me stumped... I literally found a situation that by no stretch of the imagination could I ever imagination defeating the Daleks... thats wow.
                      Oh, I knew what I'd do in that situation: Run. Run and hide and hope to hell that it doesn't find me. That's my plan should I ever encounter one.
                      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Fair point!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                          Oh, I knew what I'd do in that situation: Run. Run and hide and hope to hell that it doesn't find me. That's my plan should I ever encounter one.
                          My plan would be to dress like a giant pepper shaker and try to beguile it with my charms ala Bugs Bunny.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                            My plan would be to dress like a giant pepper shaker and try to beguile it with my charms ala Bugs Bunny.
                            If it works... you're screwed.

Literally.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                              If it works... you're screwed.

Literally.
                              Nah, all I have to do is convince the Dalek, then I slip out of the costume while he makes out with it, and detonate the patented Acme explosives I left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X