Page 1 of 2392 123411511015011001 ... LastLast
    Destiny Angel
    (Moderator)
    Body: UK; Soul: NZ; Spirt: out among the stars

McKay Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

For me, Mackay was Sam's Maybourne, and the two of them had a fantastic screen chemistry together, particularly in Revelations. I am slightly wary of how the character will seem without Sam. But overall, I'm thrilled that he's joined the cast of Atlantis.

DR. RODNEY MCKAY
    PLAYED BY - David Hewlett

A brilliant and arrogant astrophysicist, Dr. McKay has worked with Samantha Carter (his intellectual nemesis, but also the object of his affections) on two separate occusions: once when Teal'c's pattern was trapped within the Stargate's memory ("48 Hours"), and again when an assault on the gate by Anubis caused its eventual destruction, which nearly destroyed Earth ("Redemption"). McKay is probably between 35 and 40 years old, and along with Major Carter is recognized as one of the world's leading authorities on Stargate technology and the science of gate travel.

Last edited by GateGipsy; April 30th, 2004 at 07:35 AM.

Sassy Schokohupf
    (Moderator)

Re: Mackay in Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by GateGipsy
    Good move? Bad move? What do you think?

For me, Mackay was Sam's Maybourne, and the two of them had a fantastic screen chemistry together, particularly in Revelations. I am slightly wary of how the character will seem without Sam. But overall, I'm thrilled that he's joined the cast of Atlantis.
    Agree with you completely. From the beginning Mackay was a character you knew you were supposed to dislike but you never quite got there. At least that's how I feel... *g*

Doci
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Mackay in Atlantis

He's definitely the equivalent to Emmett Bregman. I imagine he will be the most popular for a while until everyone can get acclaimated to the entire team. Sure would have loved to have seen another semi SG-1 regular, like Paul Davis, also appear as a regular on Atlantis. [sigh]

Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator)
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice

Default Re: Mackay in Atlantis

I've always like McKay. I just hope that he doesn't turn out to be the token comic relief guy.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

LOVE McKay. He actually gives me hope for the future of Atlantis. However, I agree with the cautionary notes here. Whether or not McKay will be able to stand on his own without Sam remains to be seen... and if he's painted as nothing more than the Comic Relief, violent things will happen.

Doci
    (Moderator)

Uncertain Re: Dr Rodney Mckay

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    LOVE McKay. He actually gives me hope for the future of Atlantis. However, I agree with the cautionary notes here. Whether or not McKay will be able to stand on his own without Sam remains to be seen... and if he's painted as nothing more than the Comic Relief, violent things will happen.
    Yeah, remember what happened to Desi Arnez after he left Lucy?

Shhhh... I'm trying to be POSITIVE here. Yay Atlantis! Yay McKay! Go A-team! Rah! Rah! Rah!

(runs and hides)

Doci
    (Moderator)

Earth Symbol Re: Dr Rodney Mckay

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Shhhh... I'm trying to be POSITIVE here. Yay Atlantis! Yay McKay! Go A-team! Rah! Rah! Rah!

(runs and hides)
    I think your positiv....ity is icing on the cake. Something tells me Atlantis is going to be phenomonal

Quote Originally Posted by David
    I think your positiv....ity is icing on the cake.
    Rats... no ignore feature, here?? Maybe I can just subtract lots of points from your Reputation thingy.

I have the strange suspicion it won't be long before I have a whole lotta little red circles after my name... *sigh* Popularity is SUCH a nuisance...

Back on topic (sorta), is calling McKay "Wodney" considered a childish/bad thing, even if I do it out of love for the character? I think of it as humbling, myself. Brings him down to OUR level, gets his nose outta the air for a minute or two. hehe

Don't suppose anyone here has ever read Wodney Wat, eh?

Doci
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Dr Rodney Mckay

Icing meaning Extra meaning Good, Shadowmaat

Icing meaning Extra meaning Good, Shadowmaat
    Uh huh. Suuure. Got some swampland in Florida to sell me, too, I bet. A couple of bridges, maybe? Ocean-front property in Arizona?

Actually, I was just messing around checking profiles and what and realized Ignore isn't available. *sigh* And the old forums were starting to look SO lovely without me having to watch certain individuals dish out spite and personal insults...

At least I keep most of my snarking confined to the show. Or certain deserving individuals.

McKay... hmm... wonder if I can find some way to tie Luke into things. Bribing someone to muck the candidates list so McKay gets shipped off instead of someone else, maybe...

Doci
    (Moderator)

You most definitely can ignore people . Go to FAQ. Type in "ignore" and the system will guide you to what you need to do

I love McKay, I think he's hilarious! Getting David Hewlett in on Atlantis was the best idea they've come up with (Seconded by the really cool gate ) for making the show. Anyway, I'm hoping his sarcastic wit will stay, but he must develop as an actual character.

Default Re: Dr. Rodney McKay

I like the idea of McKay in Atlantis. And considering his part was originally intended to be filled by a different character, I doubt he'll be used only as comic relief. Especially in the long run - I can't imagine TPTB having comedy being the only reason for the inclusion of any character who's supposed to be one of the main cast members.

For the sake of keeping this realtively Happy Fluffy, I won't comment on your opinion of TPTB, UP. I will say, however, that just because we got McKay instead of the other character doesn't mean that McKay's role is going to be given the justice it deserves. Yay to sarcastic wit, but yay to some depth BEYOND sarcastic wit, too. Hewlett is a phenomenal actor. They better not squander his presence like they did with a certain OTHER actor who needs not be named...

You most definitely can ignore people . Go to FAQ. Type in "ignore" and the system will guide you to what you need to do
    OK, I swear when I looked at My Controls last night it only said Buddy List. There was nothing about Buddy/Ignore! *sniffle* The new forum has it in for me...

LOOOOVE your bio shadow!

Heart Re: Dr. Rodney McKay

I love Rodney McKay. So much so that I've started a David Hewlett Fan Club. Please join.

I love his chemistry with Sam, they're so great together. I'm not sure what it will be like in Atlantis, without Sam, but we'll see, won't we?

David Hewlett
    ------
    Shelby aka JessMerrick

McKay is the main reason im interested in Atlantis. Before the cast was revealed i said to myself i'd watch the pilot n that was it. im tempted to watch a few more eps now tho.

saying that McKay is to Carter as Maybourne is to O'Neill is pretty accurate i think. They worked well together.

Yay! Just joined, but will have to investigate later when I'm not working.