No announcement yet.

Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 2 (113)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just got one thing to say about this ep....

Starbuck vs. No. Six = one HELL of a chick fight.

Comment

yeah baby...good finale for a show....
      .....tomorrow i'll start with season 2...hope commander adama makes it
      love this guy....
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
        yeah baby...good finale for a show....
        .....tomorrow i'll start with season 2...hope commander adama makes it
        love this guy....
        i think that was the key to the shows successes going to into season 2

how many shows put bullets in there lead character at the end of a season
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I love reading past comments and comparing them to now... so just ignore me bumping

-1. its a stupid gold painted arrow (who uses arrows thousands of years in the future?)
          *BSG Finale -don't click if you haven't watched every ep/season ! :
          Spoiler:
          Hurr Hurr, thousands of years in the past you mean xD
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 24 October 2010, 10:03 PM. Reason: *modified the tag.:)

Comment

What can you say about an episode that so effectively develops its plot threads for dramatic counterpoint and provides a shock ending that still gives a visceral impact even if you know it's coming? Also, the final shot of this episode is unto a painting in its visual construction.

Of course, the music over the sequence in the Opera House enhances it so pointedly that it is almost sickening to think of a "typical TV score" with it. This sequence is key to the story as a sort of mystical bow that is tied over all of the various plot thread resolutions provided here.

Two questions, one which I have a probable answer for...
            1. Why didn't Six kill Starbuck? (Perhaps Leoben has told the other Cylons about her destiny, that the Cylons can't interfere with?)
            2. Did Boomer black out and sabotage the bomb release on the Raptor? If not, that was a pretty shameless plot contrivance.

There are several similarities between BSG and Lost; they had first seasons that were largely grounded but towards the end put more emphasis on lofty concepts that expanded the mythology of each show. Many jumped ship when this happened, but I'm fine with it as long as disbelief can be suspended (it's much more complicated than that, but let be the operative phrase), which BSG arguably violated at one point but I digress.

A great finale for BSG's largely triumphant first season. If I were to venture a guess, I would say that S1 is RDM's favorite season given that he admitted that the writing staff worked better in the 13 episode format than the 20 episode format. This finale was the best episode of the season, followed by "The Hand of God" with "33" bringing up the 3 slot.

10/10

Average Rating for Season 1: 6.3 (in other words, a solid season)
            Here's looking forward to Season 2, which produces two of the series' worst offerings and its second-greatest.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Just beyond brilliant.

It starts with the music. McCreary's "Kobol's Last Gleaming" is hauntingly beautiful, and "The Shape of Things to Come" is epic. There's a reason why McCreary's tracks are almost all (except for "Black Market" and "Two Boomers") part of my top-100 tracks (by play count). McCreary is a genius!

As a couple people have said now, this episode is just loaded with action and character moments, and that's what makes it so excellent.

Man oh man, the Six/Kara fight has to get a mention here! I love the way it was choreographed - none of the usual prissy cat-fight garbage you usually get when two women are fighting on tv. This was a serious, no holds barred fight and it was awesome. Helfer and Sackoff really brought it!

The stand-off on Colonial One - I have such respect for the way Roslin handled the situation, and I love the way MM played it. I also respect Lee's decision - I'm usually pretty ambivalent about his character, but he made the right move.

The Opera House -
              Spoiler:
              It's so awesome watching this scene after seeing the whole show through to the end. Set up for so much. "The shape of things to come" indeed!

The End - Talk about a "HOLY FRAK" moment! I remember not being able to pick my jaw up off the floor the first time I saw it. Still gets me, even when I know what's coming. I came to BSG late, so lucky for me, I never had to wait for S2; I cannot even imagine what that must've been like, waiting months to see what happened!!!!

What a brilliant end to a brilliant inaugural season.
              "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
              ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor_S View Post
                Just beyond brilliant.

It starts with the music. McCreary's "Kobol's Last Gleaming" is hauntingly beautiful, and "The Shape of Things to Come" is epic. There's a reason why McCreary's tracks are almost all (except for "Black Market" and "Two Boomers") part of my top-100 tracks (by play count). McCreary is a genius!
                I've been meaning to get the Bear McCreary soundtracks for a long time now....because I believe the music makes a show. I have watched shows & movies in the past, and thought, "this would be much better, if the music didn't suck". And, the main reason my wife watched BSG with me when it originally aired WAS for the music.

Originally posted by Professor_S View Post
                The End - Talk about a "HOLY FRAK" moment! I remember not being able to pick my jaw up off the floor the first time I saw it. Still gets me, even when I know what's coming. I came to BSG late, so lucky for me, I never had to wait for S2; I cannot even imagine what that must've been like, waiting months to see what happened!!!!

What a brilliant end to a brilliant inaugural season.
                And, yes, the end of this episode is EPIC.
                sigpic
                Jack: Uhh, Daniel - for cryin' out loud!!, I said I would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with you!
                Is all this necessary??!?

Comment

Originally posted by chaddergate View Post
                  I've been meaning to get the Bear McCreary soundtracks for a long time now....because I believe the music makes a show. I have watched shows & movies in the past, and thought, "this would be much better, if the music didn't suck". And, the main reason my wife watched BSG with me when it originally aired WAS for the music.

And, yes, the end of this episode is EPIC.
                  It's so true. It's amazing the amount of work the music does in ostensibly visual media. You should definitely grab them if you can (the soundtracks, that is) - they truly are brilliant.
                  "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                  ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

So many twists I was not expecting!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
                      The flying of the Raptor with nuke into the Basestar was a bit too similar to SGA Siege 2 and 3; who thought of it first? Probably both were thought of at about the same time?
                      It's also been done in other sci fy shows iirc. But when it was done here, imo there was more impact.
                      Spoiler:
                      Especially with the conformation of Boomer being a cylon.

Originally posted by kj16V View Post
                      I've only seen series one so don't spoil it if you know the following!: Do you reckon that this "God" that the Cylons keep banging on about is who-or whatever is the mastermind behind the Cylon plan?
                      I always thought it was ironically linked that there were 12 cylon models, 12 human colonies (each with a patron god), ONE race of humans, and One cylon god..

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
                      1. Why didn't Six kill Starbuck? (Perhaps Leoben has told the other Cylons about her destiny, that the Cylons can't interfere with?)
                      I think it was more her toying with starbuck, than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X