• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Act Of Contrition (104)

Visit the Episode GuideGALACTICA SEASON ONE
    ACT OF CONTRITION
    EPISODE NUMBER - 104

A deadly accident on the hangar deck forces the Galactica to draft inexperienced pilots to fly Vipers -- and for Kara brings up painful memories about her role in Zak's death. (Part 1 of 2)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 25 April 2011, 05:21 PM.

So, am I the only person on here watching this series on Sky Three, then?
    Very good episode, especially the scene between Starbuck and Adama. I liked the fact that it concentrated on the one plot most of the way through with just a couple of scenes away from that plot. And I have to say that I very much like the almost complete lack of Number Six in it!
    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
      So, am I the only person on here watching this series on Sky Three, then?
      Very good episode, especially the scene between Starbuck and Adama. I liked the fact that it concentrated on the one plot most of the way through with just a couple of scenes away from that plot. And I have to say that I very much like the almost complete lack of Number Six in it!
      Aww I love Six's moments...

It was a great episode though, and the tension in the cabin when Adama found out the truth about Zak. Ouch.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I like this ep. Too bad about those pilots, all happy 1 min, then dead the next. Nice to see that they got on with the job of finding repacements though. Nice to see a bit of Starbuck's and the Commanders past too.
        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I just starte watching BSG recently and I quite liked this episode.
          I always like character background episodes because it makes me feel something more for a character, whether it's like, dislike etc.
          Good ep....makes me want to watch more....

Comment

I liked this episode but I hated how one minute a complete and true happy moment and the next people are dead and everything is crappy. I know that is the whole point to it and probably makes the episode good but I didn't like that he was killed.

Comment

Really liked this one as well, though I am again annoyed by the fact that Cancer treatment has not moved on from our current barbaric means of treatment. It was also nice to see evidence of the beating Apollo took in the last episode.

Some nice development of Starbuck here as well, she seems to have finally dealt with her guilt over passing Zack when he should of failed and has become what looks to be a awesome instructor.

And what a cliffhanger... looks like they only have 39 Vipers now and at the rate they are going they wont last long.
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

This might have been the early apotheosis of the writing staff's ethos: to make a compelling drama that could take place here and now with no significant alteration to the story.

I quite disliked the opening of every act with the flashforward of the tailspin, and later in the series episodes will similarly be afflicted with this style of storytelling, at one point using three times in the space of four episodes! Come on! The only time I thought it worked was in "Resurrection Ship Part 2", and then just barely. I feel that overall, the technique of this kind of flashforward is a tired and annoying one. Mini-rant over; end of line.

A similar device is the weaving of past and present; this was used during the funeral(s), during the triad game, and during the scene in Adama's cabin. I felt that the funeral scene was greatly enhanced by this technique, and the music as well (a mournful rendition of the already mournful Season 1 theme) made that sequence my favorite from the episode. I'm much more neutral on the use of interstitial flashbacks in the other two occasions...

I also was impressed with the teaser, which was effective at its crucial mood swing.

The episode was strong, but hurt by some awkward narrative devices, in my opinion.

7/10

P.S. The episode was structured so that there was no Act 5. Interesting - maybe it's a feature of first parts of two-parters? I'll keep an eye on it in the future.
                sigpic
                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

I have to be honest, I'm not as crazy about this ep - I'm not sure what it is about the episode. To me, the pacing is a little off. I did enjoy the Starbuck/Adama scenes - hats off to Sackoff and EJO! But my favourite scene? Hands down, Doc Cottle and Roslin in sick bay. Cottle is such a fantastic character; he's so gruff, but so lovable at the same time!
                  "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                  ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

I agree about Cottle. I liked this episode overall, but knowing that it was setting up what was going to happen in the next episode makes it mean more, but yeah maybe a bit slow.
                    sigpic
                    Jack: Uhh, Daniel - for cryin' out loud!!, I said I would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with you!
                    Is all this necessary??!?

Comment

Originally posted by chaddergate View Post
                      I agree about Cottle. I liked this episode overall, but knowing that it was setting up what was going to happen in the next episode makes it mean more, but yeah maybe a bit slow.
                      Yeah, that's very true. And the second part is so frakkin' good, too!
                      "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                      ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                        Really liked this one as well, though I am again annoyed by the fact that Cancer treatment has not moved on from our current barbaric means of treatment.
                        I assume by now you finished watching the whole series. A lot of questions, like this one, are answered later on.

Comment

wasn't sure at first if I liked Starbuck but this episode made me like her.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                            Really liked this one as well, though I am again annoyed by the fact that Cancer treatment has not moved on from our current barbaric means of treatment. It was also nice to see evidence of the beating Apollo took in the last episode.
                            Agreed/ You would think a species so technologically advanced they created such an AI that became the Cylons, and the FTL jump drives, would have better anti-cancer fighting capacity.

Comment

Working...
                            X