This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else sick of "Bring Back Jack?"

Ok, I have had just about all I can take of people saying "Bring Back Jack" or "Jack was the only good thing about SG1" or "Season 9 sucks because Jack isnt there".

I mean, come on! Yes RDA was great, yes Jack was a great character, but he was far from the only reason I was watching. I watched for great action, great writing, and great acting from ALL involved, not just one actor.

Up until I joined this forum, I was stupidly under the impression that I was watching "Stargate SG-1" not "The Jack O'Neill Show". He was hardly in S7 or S8, yes he had screen time but RDA was not into the role as deeply as he had been.

I have the deepest respect for all the cast, even more for RDA having been a Producer as well. IMO those who are saying "Bring Back Jack" are being very selfish. Last time I checked RDA left to be with his daughter, and you want him to return to the show and be away from his family?

I am aware that it isnt all of the members, or even the majority of members, but the minority are really starting to annoy me over this. OK, I dont mind that you do want him back, and its not those people I have a problem with, it is the members who barage the board with "Bring Back Jack" every time that they can.

*Prepares to get flamed*
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Yes - Just about everyone else on Gateworld.
    * Always remember - You are unique, just like everyone else. *

* Avoid employing unlucky people, throw half of the CVs in the bin without reading them. *

Lost City, Part 2 - The Gateworld best ep S1-7

The 'Everyone Gets A Compliment' Thread

Comment

You're not the only one. I swear, we are going to have roits if anyone else leaves the show.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
        Ok, I have had just about all I can take of people saying "Bring Back Jack" or "Jack was the only good thing about SG1" or "Season 9 sucks because Jack isnt there".

I mean, come on! Yes RDA was great, yes Jack was a great character, but he was far from the only reason I was watching. I watched for great action, great writing, and great acting from ALL involved, not just one actor.

Up until I joined this forum, I was stupidly under the impression that I was watching "Stargate SG-1" not "The Jack O'Neill Show". He was hardly in S7 or S8, yes he had screen time but RDA was not into the role as deeply as he had been.

I have the deepest respect for all the cast, even more for RDA having been a Producer as well. IMO those who are saying "Bring Back Jack" are being very selfish. Last time I checked RDA left to be with his daughter, and you want him to return to the show and be away from his family?

I am aware that it isnt all of the members, or even the majority of members, but the minority are really starting to annoy me over this. OK, I dont mind that you do want him back, and its not those people I have a problem with, it is the members who barage the board with "Bring Back Jack" every time that they can.

*Prepares to get flamed*
        Flame away!

Anyway, RDA left of his own accord, and for at least 1 if not 2 seasons, the writers and rest of cast also wrote/shot two episodes at once to accommodate his radically shrinking schedule.

They got a great replacement with Ben Browder, and I think Beau Bridges is a great replacement for DSD (although DSD's departure, I believe, had to do with health issues and money, although I honestly don't know about the latter).

Anyway, Jack is gone, unless he makes an extra special guest star appearance... but phew, at least they didn't kill him off!

Comment

Please, it has to stop.....no ammount of whining is going to bring him back.....just lay it to rest, and if he does come back for a guest appearence, we can all celebrate, but otherwise.....leave it.....or I might throw something and break my moniter.....

Comment

I do wish he never left. But it was his decision to leave (as I understand it).

No need for people to keep complaining about it.

But like BattleField 2 forums, people just want to complain about anything and everything. After a while, you just overlook it and don't pay attention to it.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
            24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
            Both heavily admined.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
              *Prepares to get flamed*
              Why? I would guess most of the Forum agrees with you. I respect the fact he wanted to spend time with his family.

I think part of the reason why season 7 and 8 were a little bit dodgy was that RDA had a limited shooting schedule, and that unbalanced some of the episodes.

Note ... i'm not blaming RDA, i fully respect his wishes, in fact, when they got the episodes spot on, they were some of the best of the series (eg Lost City, Reckoning)

Now that the Ori backstory has been established, i've noticed S9 to get better, and hopefully, the stories will end up being that little bit more balanced.

Jack O'Neill was a wonderful character, and I will always miss him a bit. What TPTB have got to do is to create eps where i won't notice he's missing.
              Oh yeah, and get him back for the odd ep ... i wouldn't want his final send off to be those couple of scenes in Avalon and Origin.
              I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Yes, I completely agree with you too, RDA/Jack was great but it's time to move on

Comment

Yes...

Don't want to rewrite what i said before so i copied, but this sums up my feelings...

As much as i liked RDA i really don't care that he's gone now, he did it for 8 years which is more than enough for someone to do a show and its time people got over the fact he's gone, yes it would be nice to see him back in the odd episode but not full time anymore, he was obviously getting bored and it really showed sometimes, i believe he spoiled the show a few times in season 8 with his negative attitude towards doing his character, that was really poor imho!

Comment

I think most people (or at least I) are trying to convince people, if he might hear from Jmalozzi/other people who read, or reads the forums himself, that he might come back when his daughter is on school in a year or ten, if he wants to start acting again.

You do know a big fan action saved Star Trek becuase the producers actually wanted to give it up...

By the way with computer editing nowadays, you don't even need the actor for the character to be there, only a computer model and an animator.

Comment

I agree with what most have written here.
                      Jack O'Neill made the show for me. He really did.
                      After S6, I noticed there was less Jack, or he was just dumb military monkey who hits the wrong button.
                      After S8, I was glad to see him go, as he did very little in that season.
                      I wish he hadn't gone or limited his schedule. But I'm not going to try to make him change his mind either.
                      He put his family first and you have to respect that. Well, if you have any respect for RDA at all, you do.

Comment

That's what I say, if he ever wants to act again, I hope it will be SG1.

If he doesn't , bad luck then. In both cases I wish him the best.

Comment

I'm not really bothered about others saying it because Jack was my icon and, for me, represented Stargate better than the SGC symbol does. However, I'm pleased to say I've moved on - I'm more than able to see S9 for it's strengths and have enjoyed over half of the episodes - although they don't seem to be on par with earlier seasons, they're still good and I'll never stop supporting Stargate if it has the will and support to continue.
                          //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                          Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
                            That's what I say, if he ever wants to act again, I hope it will be SG1.

If he doesn't , bad luck then. In both cases I wish him the best.
                            So do I. I wish him all the best. 'ere 'ere!
                            Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                            The Strongest Will Survive!
                            I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                              They got a great replacement with Ben Browder
                              I agree with you there. What I like is that he's actually interested in Daniel's fascination with archeology, anthropology, etc. whereas Jack's ignorance could get annoying sometimes. It's like TPTB had the opportunity to go for a clean slate, and they did just that.

and I think Beau Bridges is a great replacement for DSD (although DSD's departure, I believe, had to do with health issues and money, although I honestly don't know about the latter).
                              I didn't know about health issues, I had always just presumed it was to do with the show's budget being up in the air after Atlantis began and Sci-Fi cut the number of episodes and tried trimming the costs associated with the franchise.

Comment

Working...
                              X