Page 1 of 39 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 778
  1. #1
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,356

    Stargate All you ever wanted to know about The Iris and the Wormhole

    The show has established that there must be something physically inside the ring. This has been reiterated several times, through several worlds burying their gates, and more recently in episode 6.20 Memento when they unearthed their gate and it had large blocks ensuring that no Goa'uld could come back.

    They've also stated before that the iris at the SGC closes just a few microns from the event horizon of the wormhole, and that the unstable formation (the splash) disintegrates anything it comes in contact with.

    The iris is not blocking the gate and preventing a wormhole from forming, so why doesn't the iris have a big hole burned through it every time it's closed and an incoming wormhole shows up? Shouldn't they have to close the iris after the wormhole has formed every time?

  2. #2
    Major aschen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    http://www.aschenwelt.com
    Posts
    2,237

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Good question...

  3. #3
    Captain Beatrice Otter's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,262

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid
    The show has established that there must be something physically inside the ring. This has been reiterated several times, through several worlds burying their gates, and more recently in episode 6.20 Memento when they unearthed their gate and it had large blocks ensuring that no Goa'uld could come back.

    They've also stated before that the iris at the SGC closes just a few microns from the event horizon of the wormhole, and that the unstable formation (the splash) disintegrates anything it comes in contact with.

    The iris is not blocking the gate and preventing a wormhole from forming, so why doesn't the iris have a big hole burned through it every time it's closed and an incoming wormhole shows up? Shouldn't they have to close the iris after the wormhole has formed every time?
    A very good point. But one that the show has at least been consistent in handling--there have been a few times when there was a natural iris formed on other gates (A Hundred Days, for example) and the vortex didn't affect them, either, though once the iris had been breeched, the vortex was enough to carve out that cavern that Teal'c almost died in. My guess is that a solid iris just a few microns from the event horizon somehow prevents the vortex from forming; this would be consistent with the show, though it's never been directly stated.
    My LiveJournal.

    If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

    An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

    Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

  4. #4
    Major Mio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlantis Power Generation Room
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice
    A very good point. But one that the show has at least been consistent in handling--there have been a few times when there was a natural iris formed on other gates (A Hundred Days, for example) and the vortex didn't affect them, either, though once the iris had been breeched, the vortex was enough to carve out that cavern that Teal'c almost died in. My guess is that a solid iris just a few microns from the event horizon somehow prevents the vortex from forming; this would be consistent with the show, though it's never been directly stated.
    The destructive vortex particles can't form when an iris is present.

    When a stargate is buryed, and is turned on, the barrier forms an iris. when it's off and burried, the gate becomes unusable until it's unburried.

  5. #5
    Major Lord Zedd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,952

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Man you guys are realy analising these things.Very interesting but I don't know what to say about it.A good theory but it won't change to show.Maybe the writers of SG-1 should pay this forum a visit because I've seen some very good ideas.They should pay more attention to the little details Maybe they do?I do not know eh Not delivering critisme on the writers.Just thinking up loud
    Lord Zedd

  6. #6
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    I believe the Iris, since its so close and it covers completly the event horizon of the worm-hole it doesnt allow the particles to form

  7. #7
    Major Mio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlantis Power Generation Room
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by _Anubis
    Man you guys are realy analising these things.Very interesting but I don't know what to say about it.A good theory but it won't change to show.Maybe the writers of SG-1 should pay this forum a visit because I've seen some very good ideas.They should pay more attention to the little details Maybe they do?I do not know eh Not delivering critisme on the writers.Just thinking up loud
    i'm sure it's been said somewhere on the show....

    In fact, I'm 100% sure. Watch 100 days, they had to make the gap between the stargate and the stuff it was burried in bigger with a some particle thingy so that the vortex could form, and dig a bigger cavern.
    Last edited by Mio; September 18th, 2004 at 05:22 AM.

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant puddlejumper747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Lost City Of Atlantis
    Posts
    655

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    The iris is close to the event horizon, but not too close to stop a wormhole from forming behind it. (I think the actual wormhole is supposed to be two-dimensional anyway.) And we know that the iris will not allow incoming objects to fully re-materialize, probably because full re-materialization happens just outside of the event horizon. So it would probably be the same idea with the unstable woosh effect. It just doesn't have room to manifest itself outside of the event horizon with the iris closed.
    Does that make sense?
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

    http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/3...mper7476jg.jpg

  9. #9
    Lieutenant Colonel Mr Prophet's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    So if you stood with your face really close to the event horizon of an incoming wormhole, would you end up meshed with whoever came through in a painful and terminal fashion, or would they just hit you as they came out?
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

  10. #10
    Major Mio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlantis Power Generation Room
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper747
    The iris is close to the event horizon, but not too close to stop a wormhole from forming behind it. (I think the actual wormhole is supposed to be two-dimensional anyway.) And we know that the iris will not allow incoming objects to fully re-materialize, probably because full re-materialization happens just outside of the event horizon. So it would probably be the same idea with the unstable woosh effect. It just doesn't have room to manifest itself outside of the event horizon with the iris closed.
    Does that make sense?
    Yes. it's exactly what I've said, basically. It was all said in 'A hundred days'....

  11. #11
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    the atlantis stargate energy barrier behaves the same way as the terra titantium/trinium iris. from the movie we know the unstable vortex spurts out forward and backward. maybe all versions of the gate are designed to detect an intentional barrier which prevents the forward burst

  12. #12
    First Lieutenant puddlejumper747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Lost City Of Atlantis
    Posts
    655

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    So if you stood with your face really close to the event horizon of an incoming wormhole, would you end up meshed with whoever came through in a painful and terminal fashion, or would they just hit you as they came out?
    I say that they would just slam into you as they came out. Hard.

    Because, personally (and I really have no irrefutable evidence whatsoever to support this theory, I think that it just makes sense given what we've seen), I say that an incoming object is almost (if not completely) rematerialized while still just on the other side ("threshold zone") of the EH. If the iris is open, the object will simply be once again re-entered into our own dimension. If not, the object will be permenantly demolecularized. Take it or leave it, or ask me if you're confused, that's just my humble opinion.

    There was also some great discussion about this topic in the thread:
    Matter through an event horizon **SPOILERS for 38 Minutes and SG-1: 100 Days**
    My original "threshold zone" theory is also in there somewhere.
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

    http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/3...mper7476jg.jpg

  13. #13

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    "Rising," ATLANTIS
    Spoiler:
    When the gate shield was activated right before an incoming wormhole, we saw the kawoosh expand until it hit the shield and then topped, and then went back it at the same time it would of had the shield not been there.

  14. #14
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket4477
    "Rising," ATLANTIS
    Spoiler:
    When the gate shield was activated right before an incoming wormhole, we saw the kawoosh expand until it hit the shield and then topped, and then went back it at the same time it would of had the shield not been there.
    i dont realy remember that but if u say so then the sheild, not being so close to the event horizon as the iris, it would leave enough room for the particles to form, however the sheild was able to resist the vortex (damn those ancients, so good with sheilds )

  15. #15
    Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,456

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket4477
    "Rising," ATLANTIS
    Spoiler:
    When the gate shield was activated right before an incoming wormhole, we saw the kawoosh expand until it hit the shield and then topped, and then went back it at the same time it would of had the shield not been there.
    Does that mean if someone went 'splat' against the Atlantis shield that you'd see it, because they're rematerialized against it?



  16. #16
    Major Mio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlantis Power Generation Room
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    Does that mean if someone went 'splat' against the Atlantis shield that you'd see it, because they're rematerialized against it?
    No. Nothing can reform when the shield is up. Not even the vortex. When the Atlantis Iris is active, the Kawoosh can't form. All you see when something impacts it is a bright flash of light, which is the shield flaring up, as all shields do when you poke them.

  17. #17
    Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,456

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mio
    No. Nothing can reform when the shield is up. Not even the vortex. When the Atlantis Iris is active, the Kawoosh can't form. All you see when something impacts it is a bright flash of light, which is the shield flaring up, as all shields do when you poke them.
    That makes sense. I had this mental image of bloody goo that slid to the floor in a bloody mess when the shield was disenaged. Picturing Weir going, "Maintance to the gate room for a wet spill..."



  18. #18
    Major Mio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlantis Power Generation Room
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    That makes sense. I had this mental image of bloody goo that slid to the floor in a bloody mess when the shield was disenaged. Picturing Weir going, "Maintance to the gate room for a wet spill..."
    Nope. Molecules just can't form! And who knows, The Atlantis gate iris might even be closer than our iris, making it so that a Sokar-esque attempt to get through would fail. Also, Tollan phase shift might not work

  19. #19
    Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,456

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mio
    Nope. Molecules just can't form! And who knows, The Atlantis gate iris might even be closer than our iris, making it so that a Sokar-esque attempt to get through would fail. Also, Tollan phase shift might not work
    Awh, there goes thoughts about icky special effects.



  20. #20
    Major Mio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Atlantis Power Generation Room
    Posts
    2,795

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    Awh, there goes thoughts about icky special effects.
    Sorry.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Why has the SGC's iris survived the "wormhole effect"?
    By ECN in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
  2. help wanted!
    By penguininablender in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: May 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
  3. Iris code is sent before wormhole opens?
    By Jack Bauer in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
  4. Help wanted
    By steph23clio in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 10th, 2005, 04:33 AM
  5. iris = bad
    By mammon in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •