This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eoin
    i think because the iris is 3 or 0.3 microns away from the event horizon it stops the vortex from forming, erm... im sure someone else could explain it better
    That is part of it yes. In addition to the previous post, let me add that the Event Horizon of the wormhole is itself not dangerous. Unless you try to enter the horizon from an incoming wormhole... that would be suicide because you'd have nowhere to reintegrate to. The danger comes from the inherent unstable nature of the vortex. The wormhole cannot transmit matter until the Event Horizon is firmly established, thus anything that is caught in it is immediately de-molecularized. Since there is no way for the object to reintergrate (just as the example above of an incoming wormhole), it is simply destroyed.

The Event Horizon is not that different from the soapy flat-bubble on a bubble blowing stick. The Event Horizon forms along the inner edge of the stargate as an 'anchor' of sorts. Normally, when it forms the gate is free and clear which allows the vortex to form (though the vortex isn't absolutely necessary). However, whenever the gate is completely blocked (as in buried) the wormhole will not connect. On the other hand, If the gate is covered close enough to where the Event Horizon forms, the vortex doesn't have a chance to form, so instead the Event Horizon simply 'washes' up over the covering to the inner rim of the gate.

As an example... imagine if I took a bubble blowing stick and held it facing downward to the ground and poured a soapy solution over it. The solution would partially drip through (like the vortex) the ring part of the bubble stick, but some of it would catch to form a soapy flat-bubble within the ring (like the Event Horizon) of the stick. On the other hand, if I took something flat, and covered the opening of the ring, none of the solution would drip through, but instead would immediately spread across the flat surface of the covering until it reached the inner rim of the bubble stick. I admit, this is a rather crude example, but it fits well enough.
    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
      That is part of it yes. In addition to the previous post, let me add that the Event Horizon of the wormhole is itself not dangerous. Unless you try to enter the horizon from an incoming wormhole... that would be suicide because you'd have nowhere to reintegrate to. The danger comes from the inherent unstable nature of the vortex. The wormhole cannot transmit matter until the Event Horizon is firmly established, thus anything that is caught in it is immediately de-molecularized. Since there is no way for the object to reintergrate (just as the example above of an incoming wormhole), it is simply destroyed.

The Event Horizon is not that different from the soapy flat-bubble on a bubble blowing stick. The Event Horizon forms along the inner edge of the stargate as an 'anchor' of sorts. Normally, when it forms the gate is free and clear which allows the vortex to form (though the vortex isn't absolutely necessary). However, whenever the gate is completely blocked (as in buried) the wormhole will not connect. On the other hand, If the gate is covered close enough to where the Event Horizon forms, the vortex doesn't have a chance to form, so instead the Event Horizon simply 'washes' up over the covering to the inner rim of the gate.

As an example... imagine if I took a bubble blowing stick and held it facing downward to the ground and poured a soapy solution over it. The solution would partially drip through (like the vortex) the ring part of the bubble stick, but some of it would catch to form a soapy flat-bubble within the ring (like the Event Horizon) of the stick. On the other hand, if I took something flat, and covered the opening of the ring, none of the solution would drip through, but instead would immediately spread across the flat surface of the covering until it reached the inner rim of the bubble stick. I admit, this is a rather crude example, but it fits well enough.
      woo! you go Seastallion, i used to think that the iris is too strong to be 'eaten' from te Kawoosh, so wood and people (softer things) can get vapourised, but not the iris

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

Thanks qasimjavid and Seastallion for your answers!

Did you just think of it, or took it from any explanation that TPTB may have given?
        Courses that I would most definitively take at the Stargate University:

Ascension, Descension and the importance of flags, by Dr. Daniel Jackson
        (Thanks to Merentha for proposing it!)

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion

just read your explanation and i have to say, Well done. I dont know anyone who could have thought of explaining it in such a simple manner, excellent post
          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Ignore all that. It's because of...the Furlings. Yes. The Furlings

Comment

I have a question though. I am sure it was explained in the episode but I am too lazy to find it and watch it again. In the ep. where O'Neill is stuck on a planet were the stargate got buried when it was struck by a meteor, didn't they use the vortex destroy the rock that was burying it and then sending Teal'c through to continue the digging. Why didn't the rock(s) stop the vortex from forming?
              "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Originally posted by vonbismarck
                I have a question though. I am sure it was explained in the episode but I am too lazy to find it and watch it again. In the ep. where O'Neill is stuck on a planet were the stargate got buried when it was struck by a meteor, didn't they use the vortex destroy the rock that was burying it and then sending Teal'c through to continue the digging. Why didn't the rock(s) stop the vortex from forming?
                any idea on what the name of that ep is??? cause i cant remeber seeing that and i love watching eps that i cant remember what happend (it brings all the excitment back ), im too lazy to go find out which ep it was aswell..lol

Comment

Well I hope you are happy, I have gone and looked through all the eps. to find it. It is entitled "A Hundred Days" and is the 17th ep. in Season 3. If you do watch it and I sure you can poke some holes in my question and make me look the fool that I am.

Comment

Well I hope you are happy, I have gone and looked through all the eps. to find it. It is entitled "A Hundred Days" and is the 17th ep. in Season 3. If you do watch it and I sure you can poke some holes in my question and make me look the fool that I am.
                    ???, if i insulted you or something, Im sorry , i didnt intend to insult anybody.

Comment

No need to go arounding thinking you insulting people. If I were insulted, I would probably let you know. Also, I doubt I am as knowledgably as others here are and I am sure there are holes in question. Let's face it, I can't even speak technobabble like others. Now just watch the ep. and shoot down my post.

Comment

No need to go arounding thinking you insulting people. If I were insulted, I would probably let you know. Also, I doubt I am as knowledgably as others here are and I am sure there are holes in question. Let's face it, I can't even speak technobabble like others. Now just watch the ep. and shoot down my post.
                        I have no intention of shooting down your post , im not like that.
                        You said in your last post "make me look like the fool that i am", i think a person who is willing to bring down another person is morally undeveloped (i think thats what it is..lol) i would never bring a person down.
                        + im not as knowledgable as other people in this forum either, but the thing is we're here having fun and expressing our opinions and theories on stargate and whatever .

P.S You are not a fool, you made a mistake, big deal everyone makes mistakes, i have made alot myself..lol

Comment

From what I remember, a naquada (or other alloy or something) had formed
                          around the gate in an iris-like way. They could connect, but the MALP wouldn't reintegrate. They then used an energy beam to destroy the "natural
                          iris", and then the next gate activation vortex carved out the hole within
                          which Teal'c worked. He then dug to the surface & found Jack. Whether him
                          and Jack then spent a while digging out the gate, and then manually dialed,
                          or they just plopped back down the hole to dial (unlikely since the hole would
                          be about as big as the vortex), I don't know. I hope I got some of this right,
                          and it answers some questions

Comment

Which just raises the question of why didn´t Ra do the exact same thing when the people of Earth buried the gate after rebelling against him. The Goa´uld don´t strike me as the types who just let a little thing like that go unpunished and if it were possible to dial in and somehow get through.

Plus didn´t they mention in the first episode (or one of the first) that they´d tried to dial Abydos but been unable to get a lock because the gate was buried? It´s been a long time since I watched COTG so maybe I´m wrong on this.

Personally I think the writers were drunk when they wrote in the Iris

Comment

That explaination is as good as any and is probably the right one. As for the things I said before, I should clarify that I am one of a defeatist attitude with a sick/dark/abnormal/otherwise unknown of sense of humor. Things are say are in jest. I know that it does not help that you can't see my facial expressions or tone of voice. I agree though, that I do not like people who put others down. I don't mean to take fun away from others (I will try and reign in my sense of humor). No promises though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucreleia
                                Thanks qasimjavid and Seastallion for your answers!

Did you just think of it, or took it from any explanation that TPTB may have given?

Nah... no TPTB really. I just watch a lot of Stargate, have a decent understanding of physics, and think waaaay to much. I also have a natural gift to sometimes be able to take complex ideas and explaining them in less complex terms. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... I'm glad it worked this time.

In response to Wyrminnard (you must be a 'Dune' fan... me too. ) :

Ra was on Earth when the rebellion took place. He left, and didn't bother to come back because Earth had nothing of value left. The Goa'uld originally came to Earth to get human slaves and hosts. They already had taken millions of humans to other worlds by that point, and the humans of Earth were so pathetic and worthless, Ra simply picked up and left. We weren't even worth 'punishing'. He could've done it, but he probably decided that keeping up with Earth was pointless, and that he had other better things to do. So he left, and that was that.
                                The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                                Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                                My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                                Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                                X