Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or, maybe because it is a tv xhow they do not need to worry about the kawoosh hitting the iris.

Comment

I thought that the 'Kawoosh' formation is after the event horizon has formed. Since the 'event'' has not formed, then it would not impact the iris.

Sort of a chemical reaction. too much of product 'B' and it expodes .. otherwise inert.
      The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

This is, perhaps, the most answered question on these forums.

The vortex can not form because it is made up of particles. These particles can't form because the iris is too close:

Here's the transcript that proves it, its from A Hundred Days

The open the gate to Edora, and the malp doesn't reform.

TEAL’C: If the Edoran STARGATE were truly buried, how then was the wormhole established.

CARTER: The meteor hit while the wormhole was active.

DANIEL: So, so?

CARTER: So it’s possible that the molten naquada hardened just above the event horizon.

DANIEL: Like an iris.
        But the vortex didn't occur, so a cavern wasn't created.

HAMMOND: Wormhole physics, a field, Major, that you pioneered, states that under these conditions, ordinary matter won’t even reintegrate on the other side. There’s no way to overcome that.

CARTER: I think there is, Sir. And I’m not the one who thought of it. SOKAR did.

HAMMOND: SOKAR?

CARTER: Yes, Sir. When he tried to breach the iris by bombarding it with a particle beam. Sub-atomic particles barely small enough to reintegrate produced energy as they decayed.

HAMMOND: Which caused the iris to heat up.

CARTER: Exactly. Now, if we could do the same thing we could melt the hardened naquada barrier just above the event horizon and create a pocket of superheated gas.

HAMMOND: And then what?

CARTER: Well, then all we have to do is open the Gate again, Sir. The unstable vortex it normally generates would then be allowed to expand into that pocket and create an even larger cavern. One person might be able to go through, Sir, and dig it out.
        They basically fire particles at the barrier until it pushes it back far enough to allow the kawoosh to form.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Star_Lord
          Energy is not always matter. the kawoosh is pure energy just like light or a magnetic field are all types of energy. Light is not considered matter.
          DANIEL
          Well you're right in that it is an illusion. It's not actually water.

RIGAR
          Then what is it?

O'NEILL
          Magic.

CARTER
          It's an event horizon made up of quantum particles that form a wormhole.
          We know that the event horizon is made up of particles, Therefore, its reasonable to assume that the kawoosh, since it is basically a forming event horizon, is also made up of particles.
          sigpic

Comment

Mio just gave you the best explanation!
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
              Mio just gave you the best explanation!
              Aww. ::feels loved::
              sigpic

Comment

Ah....asked and answered....again.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

While this thread is still running, I just wanted to point out one other thing to do with the kawoosh. On Earth when a wormhole is established the stargate still makes the sound of the "kawoosh" forming and then receding back into the event horizon even when the Iris is closed. Obviously a mistake but i just thought it was funny. BTW Thank you all for your answers even though this has been asked a million times.

Comment

Perhaps a more appropriate question would be how did they install the iris anyways? Wouldn't they have a disassemble the gate or something? Just something I've noticed ever since "Children of the Gods".

Comment

in the origional movie the kawoosh was explained as a pressure equalizing effect, ofcourse since watergate would have pushed huge quantities of water trough the gate that isn't entirely true
                      but with a 3 micron clearing you could argue thath it would create a vacuem so there is no need for the kawoosh
                      ok thath's far fetched so it's the script why do you care anyway ?

Comment

This belongs in Science and Tech

Comment

I just read the transcript of Children of the Gods, and I wondered how it is possible that the energy vortex of the incoming wormhole does not destroy the iris.
                          The first iris was made of titanium, and the second one of a trinium-titanium alloy, but for what I know, the vortex destroys everything in his path.
                          I have seen in some episodes that the iris is closed before the vortex appears, so....
                          Could someone bring some light to this question?

If this discussion was set before, my apologies.
                          Courses that I would most definitively take at the Stargate University:

Ascension, Descension and the importance of flags, by Dr. Daniel Jackson
                          (Thanks to Merentha for proposing it!)

Comment

i wonderd the same thing and i just give it to a plot hole
                            Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                            sigpic

Comment

i think because the iris is 3 or 0.3 microns away from the event horizon it stops the vortex from forming, erm... im sure someone else could explain it better
                              The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

This question comes up all the time:

Why is the iris not disintegrated by the wormhole?
                                There is a microscopic gap between the iris and the wormhole event horizon -- less than a few microns ("Serpent's Song"). Just as the iris does not allow matter to reintegrate, so also does it not allow whatever it is that makes up the "whoosh" to burst forth. Though the Stargate is occasionally activated with the iris already closed, the "whoosh" does not reintegrate and affect the iris. It is apparently not necessary in order for a wormhole to be established.
                                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X