Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 778
  1. #41
    Major Franklyn Blaze's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,382

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice
    Maybe not. But then again, starships shouldn't make sounds as they fly through space, either.
    Oh, well.
    That's so true. I remember first watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and realizing I had taken star trek for granted all those years. Still, it would be strange to see huge space battles in total silence.

  2. #42
    Staff Sergeant The Mighty Musnud's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    50

    Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Maybe not. But then again, starships shouldn't make sounds as they fly through space, either.

    True, but in this case, the parameters for the "whoosh" sound are established and then broken. Whereas, in the case of sound in outer space. Outer space is never established (in the show) as being a vacuum. So the two aren't really comparable...

  3. #43
    Lieutenant Colonel Mr Prophet's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    Quote Originally Posted by Franklyn Blaze
    That's so true. I remember first watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and realizing I had taken star trek for granted all those years. Still, it would be strange to see huge space battles in total silence.
    But potentially very powerful.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

  4. #44
    Chief Master Sergeant DavidNetk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: Iris and the unstable wormhole?

    It is possible for a wormhole to be stablished without a vortex. A good example was when Thor came to the SGC and opened the gate with his egg-looking-asgard-remote-control and there was no vortex. How did he prevent it? Don't know. But maybe the iris does not allows a vortex to form. As we can see there are exceptions, and it's possible.

    Just my $0.02

  5. #45

    Default All you ever wanted to know about The Iris and the Wormhole

    Now I'm sorry to bring this up again and I know we have an answer but something was still bothering me about it.

    Now i believe the answer we got last time was that the 3 microns gap between the event horizon was insufficent space for anything to materialise therefore when the wormhole was established on earth the "kawoosh" never developed. I have two problems with this theory.

    1. The "kawoosh" is and energy bubble not matter, therefore it requires less than 1 nanometre to start developing and as soon as this energy starts to develop it will consume anything in its path including a titanium or trinium-titanium alloy metal plate 3 micons infront of it.

    2. In episode 2.10 Bane, you can distincly hear the bugs hitting the iris after they close it. It creats quite a loud thud noise on the Iris. If no matter is rematerialised from the event horizon of the wormhole because of the iris then there should not be any sound caused by solid matter impacting the Iris.

  6. #46

    Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    AAAAHHHHHH not this question again!! lol. just kidding. the points you raise are valid, this is basically a situation of "well the reason it isnt destroyed is --- wait look over there whats that?!?!?!" i think TPTB just would rather we dont think about this question too much. should the iris be destroyed? probably, should there be noises when things impact on it? probably not. but from a cinematic point of view its cooler this way.

  7. #47
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,868

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    it's a source of a lot of irregularities. such as, we hear bugs in bane, we hear jaff in enem within...but in the Other Side, all we get is a little blip on a monitor, no thunk

  8. #48
    Stargate: Horizon Concept Artist TechnoWraith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Partying on Hive 95!
    Posts
    5,585

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    The well-known plot hole arises yet again.

    Oh the plot holes they love to confuse us with.

  9. #49
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,323

    Heart Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Well, as they say, no one is perfect....not even TPTB! (tongue in cheek)

  10. #50
    Major Metonic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In the SGC dont tell anyone im under the desk
    Posts
    2,032

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    The sound is simply the Matter and energy being rushed out and hitting the iris before rematerialization. its like blowing on a piece of paper u blow for a millesecond and then the paper makes a sound even tho ur done, type thing.

    Kawoosh should destroy the iris. however the script has prevented it from doing so. Also in many episodes it goes up after the kawoosh, but other episodes it stays up ??? but once again its called the Script it was used by ancients to give power to the writers so they could do as they wish.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

    http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...289/stglw9.jpg

    "And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

    If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

  11. #51

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Lol, ok I think i can leave it at: The iris isn't destroyed because the writers didn't want it to be.

  12. #52
    First Lieutenant Lord You's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Lord
    Now I'm sorry to bring this up again and I know we have an answer but something was still bothering me about it.

    Now i believe the answer we got last time was that the 3 microns gap between the event horizon was insufficent space for anything to materialise therefore when the wormhole was established on earth the "kawoosh" never developed. I have two problems with this theory.

    1. The "kawoosh" is and energy bubble not matter, therefore it requires less than 1 nanometre to start developing and as soon as this energy starts to develop it will consume anything in its path including a titanium or trinium-titanium alloy metal plate 3 micons infront of it.

    2. In episode 2.10 Bane, you can distincly hear the bugs hitting the iris after they close it. It creats quite a loud thud noise on the Iris. If no matter is rematerialised from the event horizon of the wormhole because of the iris then there should not be any sound caused by solid matter impacting the Iris.
    Matter is energy. Just because the Swoosh is "energy" doesn't mean it would form in 3 microns. It seems to me to be based on a chain reaction creating the particles around the event horizion, distorting it (and causing the destructive properties) until it can't sustain the swoosh-particle creation (and falls inward). However the iris prevents integration of particles in mass, so no critical mass of swoosh-particles form. Q.E.D.

    As for the bugs in Bane, particles do form behind the iris, just not at the same rate. Otherwise the iris wouldn't work for anything. That's why small particles get through by short-lived particles and solid matter can't.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord You
    Matter is energy. Just because the Swoosh is "energy" doesn't mean it would form in 3 microns. It seems to me to be based on a chain reaction creating the particles around the event horizion, distorting it (and causing the destructive properties) until it can't sustain the swoosh-particle creation (and falls inward). However the iris prevents integration of particles in mass, so no critical mass of swoosh-particles form. Q.E.D.
    Energy is not always matter. the kawoosh is pure energy just like light or a magnetic field are all types of energy. Light is not considered matter.

  14. #54
    First Lieutenant Lord You's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    So? That doesn't mean the iris couldn't block the reintegration of those types of particles as well. In fact, it was established that it severely reduces electromagnetic flux through the gate. This indicates that energetic particles need to be integrated as well... probably from controlling the decay of whatever particles make up the event horizion.

  15. #55
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,323

    Heart Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Lord
    Lol, ok I think i can leave it at: The iris isn't destroyed because the writers didn't want it to be.
    Bingo! Simple as that!

  16. #56
    Major Metonic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In the SGC dont tell anyone im under the desk
    Posts
    2,032

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    As i've said its all part of this magical thing call a script. it allows the writers to do as they please. it isnt destroyed because the writers say so, it does what it does because writers say so, it doesnt matter how much matter it blocks or what kind of energy as long as it blocks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

    http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...289/stglw9.jpg

    "And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

    If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

  17. #57
    Chief Master Sergeant Macharius0's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Location
    My garage, trying to build a Stargate.
    Posts
    218

    Zat Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    The solution I find most plausible is rather ingenius I think. After losing several irises, Carter, in her infinite wisdom, came up with the solution to coat the back of the iris with blue jello. This wonderful substance boils away by the "kawoosh" in a manner similar to ablative armor, and it's natural jiggliness shields the iris from the actual impact. The only trick is getting Siler out there with a bucket of blue stuff before the next wormhole gets activated, sometimes he's got to rush.

  18. #58
    Second Lieutenant Cassiopeia's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    McKay's laptop...
    Posts
    308

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Quote Originally Posted by Macharius0
    The solution I find most plausible is rather ingenius I think. After losing several irises, Carter, in her infinite wisdom, came up with the solution to coat the back of the iris with blue jello. This wonderful substance boils away by the "kawoosh" in a manner similar to ablative armor, and it's natural jiggliness shields the iris from the actual impact. The only trick is getting Siler out there with a bucket of blue stuff before the next wormhole gets activated, sometimes he's got to rush.
    And in view of this brilliant solution, imagine the relief of the Atlantis team in finding that the Atlantis gate uses an energy shield as it would have been quite impossible to ship ten ton of blue jello through to Atlantis given the power constraints on the ZPM when they originally opened the wormhole back on Earth!!! LOL

    But that brings up another point - in Rising, when the Wraith darts follow Sheppard and Co into the gate, once the jumper is through and the shield raised the darts hit the shield with one mega thwump so... energy on energy maybe?
    McKay, "I'm not sure I can fix this."
    Grodin, "You can fix anything."
    McKay, "Who told you that?"
    Grodin, "You did. Several times."

  19. #59
    Colonel Elite Anubis Guard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,440

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Isnt it to do with something to the same effect as why people go splat on the iris, its so close to where matters reintergrates that it doesnt allow it to so this would presumably stop the unstable vortex forming aswell!

    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

  20. #60
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Why doesn't the "Kawoosh" destroy the Iris

    Maybe the gate knows the iris is very close to the event horizon so it "kawooshes" (is that a word?) on the other side and we just don't see it?

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Why has the SGC's iris survived the "wormhole effect"?
    By ECN in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM
  2. help wanted!
    By penguininablender in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: May 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
  3. Iris code is sent before wormhole opens?
    By Jack Bauer in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
  4. Help wanted
    By steph23clio in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 10th, 2005, 04:33 AM
  5. iris = bad
    By mammon in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •