Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Maybe this was addressed, but can you manually dial the Atlantis-style/Pegasus-style gate?

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
      Question: Maybe this was addressed, but can you manually dial the Atlantis-style/Pegasus-style gate?
      See the beginning part of this thread. The assumption is no because there does not seem to be any moving parts. However, as with practically everything in Atlantis, this remains to be seen.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Ah yes, my apologies. I do have another question/concern (not sure if ti fits here) and I'll do my best to make as much sense as possible. In terms of actually building the Atlantis stargate prop, it appears that there are many unique LED patterns (in theory 39? but some are burried?). Now, I believe each of the patterns that are visible are physically fixed at their location on the gate. This means, when they do the dialing sequence for the show, we see each of the symbols flash quickly in a rotating order. To try and explain, let's say the "dial" a symbol that looks like a "K" (if you conect the dots). As far as teh prop is concerned, the K doesn't really rotate around the gate, they are just quickly flashing through most of the symbols (possibly starting with the L), untill they get to the desired chevron locking position. now they can kind of get away with this because it moves so quickly, you really can't tell what's going on. Now, in terms of the Stargate Atlantis universe, is the actual "K" symbol supposed to rotate around the gate to the locking position, or is it supposed to operate just like the prop is doing in real life (or at least how I assume the prop is operating)? That was kind of long for one question and I hope I made sense. I'm sorry if I confuse anyone/crushed people's belief that Stargate Atlantis is real life.

Comment

Well it's not hard to do in real life. So if they chose that a symbol shouldn't rotate they probably have some good reasoning behind it.

Comment

I'm sorry if I confuse anyone/crushed people's belief that Stargate Atlantis is real life.
            It's NOT?!?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. I don't think the light patterns are random, however. They appear in closeup to look like star constellations. I think the actual prop just flashes patterns around the gate until lighting one up under the chevron marker. I'm not sure if it is supposed to appear as if the chevrons are going around the gate.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

No, I think it would be very hard to do it in real life, well without moving parts and they move way to fast to be moving parts....

No, I take that back, you're right, it's very easy to do it in real life. Just have each space on the stargate be a grid-array of LEDs. I guess, from waching the show, it didn't look like they used an array of LEDs at each position, it looked solid.

BUT HEY!! You could put a piece of scrim ovr each section, or better yet, make the entire flat front piece of the gate where the symbols are out of scrim. That way, when lit with the FOH lighting position, it appears solid, but when you turn on the LEDs behind the scrim, you would see the symbol through the scrim and you could make it appear in any position you need it to appear in. That would be a perfect way to do it, if you could get the painting on the scrim just right... :: runs off to start designing his own life sized gate ::

Oh that's right, money. Scrim is uber-expensive, and all of those LED arrays ain't gonna be cheap either. Money concerns always run up and bite me in the @r$e.

Comment

LED:s are very very very cheap.

Comment

Yes, but not when you want Superbright LEDs in grid array formations, then they get to be not so cheap. Especially if you want 39 grid array LEDs, which will have to mounted on a PCB. I could design my own and have it fabbed out-of-house, but a ustom job would probably be even more expensive than getting 39 pre-fabbed arrays. It might not be that expensive for all 39 (maybe 100-200 US dollars if I'm lucky, but these are Superbrights we're talking about), but the scrim WILL definately be expensive.

Comment

expensive compared to what? each SG1 ep is $2.2M.

Comment

I'm talking about building my own. Expensive compared to the measly amount of money I have (mostly tied up in school loans).

Comment

If you watch it in half speed, you'll find that if you dial a 'K' symbol, a 'K' would rotate around the whole gate.

It has to be an array of LEDs.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey, in bet in an upcomming special / behind-the-scenes they will tell us how they build the prop

At least on the retail DVDs it will be revealed

Comment

I'm talking about building my own. Expensive compared to the measly amount of money I have (mostly tied up in school loans).
                            So, did school not result in gainful employment?

I keep thinking "Lite-Brite, Lite-Brite, Lite-Brite", but then I'm old that way. I'm sure they use an array of LEDs. Cheap and easy to program. Bet it's lots of fun at holiday parties, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                              So, did school not result in gainful employment?

I keep thinking "Lite-Brite, Lite-Brite, Lite-Brite", but then I'm old that way. I'm sure they use an array of LEDs. Cheap and easy to program. Bet it's lots of fun at holiday parties, too!
                              No, it resulted in 5 more years of school.

Comment

No, it resulted in 5 more years of school.
                                Damn! Hate it when that happens!

If it's for engineering, a Stargate would make a fun project.

Comment

Working...
                                X