This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Gate, Bad Design

I love Atlantis, so please don't take this the wrong way but I noticed a serious flaw with the new gate. There are no moving parts, which is pretty cool. The problem is with the fact there are no moving parts. How would the team establish a wormhole if say, the DHD went down? At least with the older gates they could manually hand-dial the address. This may sound selfish, but I hope there is an episode dedicated to something like this, ala The Torment of Tantalus.

Seems to me the Ancients should have done some beta testing before releasing the new gates to the public

Originally posted by kree
    I love Atlantis, so please don't take this the wrong way but I noticed a serious flaw with the new gate. There are no moving parts, which is pretty cool. The problem is with the fact there are no moving parts. How would the team establish a wormhole if say, the DHD went down? At least with the older gates they could manually hand-dial the address. This may sound selfish, but I hope there is an episode dedicated to something like this, ala The Torment of Tantalus.

Seems to me the Ancients should have done some beta testing before releasing the new gates to the public
    Theoretically, manual dialing should never work. it doesn't make any sense, as planetary drift throws it off, and without a DHD to send actual COORDINATES instead of 6 symbols to the gate, you should only be able to get a lock on like, one world, and even then, probably not. When they started Atlantis, they probably decided to do away with it for this reason.
    sigpic

Comment

It still doesnt answer the question of "what if the DHD is disabled?" seems to me they would be up the creek without a paddle unless they have a puddle jumper handy.

Comment

Originally posted by kree
        It still doesnt answer the question of "what if the DHD is disabled?" seems to me they would be up the creek without a paddle unless they have a puddle jumper handy.
        Did Mio just not say that the series probably wouldn't be heading down that road again.
        *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
        McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

The only "coordinates" the gates gets (even through the DHD) are the 6 symbols!

Carter stated somewhere beginning season 1 they had to recalculate those to compensate for the drift.

Maybe the "positions" of the starconstelletions that the symbols represent have to be updated from time to time - but once that's done dialing manually shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

If the DHD is disabled, on ANY Stargate, even the old version, manual dialing STILL should not work. It was just a convienient plot device that wasn't sound with the rest of their universe.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hellcat
              The only "coordinates" the gates gets (even through the DHD) are the 6 symbols!

Carter stated somewhere beginning season 1 they had to recalculate those to compensate for the drift.

Maybe the "positions" of the starconstelletions that the symbols represent have to be updated from time to time - but once that's done dialing manually shouldn't be a problem.
              I don't think so.

I think the DHD sends over to the gate the following signal:

Actual Spacial Coordiates
              6 Symbols, for display purposes.
              sigpic

Comment

If the Atlantis gate's DHD goes down they could us the DHD on one of the puddle jumpers to dial.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                  If the Atlantis gate's DHD goes down they could us the DHD on one of the puddle jumpers to dial.
                  whats that got to do with anything!?!?

and i agree that if the DHD in inoperable then itd have to be physicsally destroyed before manual dialling is possible! What do you mean about aqddress's changing? Do you mean eartyh has a differant address from each planet ? Thatd just be crazy cause everyone would get stuck offworld. Thus, when the system was BUILT each targets location must have been locked into the DHD system as a planet, and since then the DHD's have been able to compensate without changing the symbolism. This also goes for the stargate compouter on earth!

Also... how many stargates are there meant to be in pegasus... didnt someone say 700 and something? Seems a bit low to me!

Comment

I am thinking that Atlantis probly has some hanheld remote dialers hidden in there somewhere. But I am with Selmak on this, its no big deal just use a dialer on one of the ships. If a team arrived on a planet by walking though the gate and the dialer on that planet was destroyed SGA command could still just send a ship through to pick up everyone and dial back.

Comment

They may find a way to hack it internally and be able to speed-dial, methinks. The Ancients wouldn't be that shortsighted (I hope). as Lindley on TrekBBS pointed out to me, it's kind of like the SG-1 Gates are analog, these ones are digital! Can we assume these are newer models too (even given their Ancient age).
                      Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                      more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

I posted this in another thread and was referred here so...

Question: The Atlantis gate appears to be more advanced than the SG-1 gates. At least it does have more "blinky-light-thingies". So which gate is supposed to be the 1st generation and which is the 2nd generation? Or are they just different because our galaxy lacks "blinky-light" technology?
                        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                        once done, cannot be undone...
                        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                          I don't think so.

I think the DHD sends over to the gate the following signal:

Actual Spacial Coordiates
                          6 Symbols, for display purposes.
                          Wouldn't make sense IMO.
                          Why build all that symbol stuff just for display purpose.

And if so, manual dial would never have been worked, but it did oh so many times....

Comment

Originally posted by Hellcat
                            Wouldn't make sense IMO.
                            Why build all that symbol stuff just for display purpose.

And if so, manual dial would never have been worked, but it did oh so many times....
                            When you're that advanced, adding a little 'form before function' isn't a problem.
                            sigpic

Comment

So that the less advanced races (us) could understand it.

Comment

Working...
                              X