Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Gate, Bad Design

I love Atlantis, so please don't take this the wrong way but I noticed a serious flaw with the new gate. There are no moving parts, which is pretty cool. The problem is with the fact there are no moving parts. How would the team establish a wormhole if say, the DHD went down? At least with the older gates they could manually hand-dial the address. This may sound selfish, but I hope there is an episode dedicated to something like this, ala The Torment of Tantalus.

Seems to me the Ancients should have done some beta testing before releasing the new gates to the public

Default Re: New Gate, Bad Design

Quote Originally Posted by kree
    I love Atlantis, so please don't take this the wrong way but I noticed a serious flaw with the new gate. There are no moving parts, which is pretty cool. The problem is with the fact there are no moving parts. How would the team establish a wormhole if say, the DHD went down? At least with the older gates they could manually hand-dial the address. This may sound selfish, but I hope there is an episode dedicated to something like this, ala The Torment of Tantalus.

Seems to me the Ancients should have done some beta testing before releasing the new gates to the public
    Theoretically, manual dialing should never work. it doesn't make any sense, as planetary drift throws it off, and without a DHD to send actual COORDINATES instead of 6 symbols to the gate, you should only be able to get a lock on like, one world, and even then, probably not. When they started Atlantis, they probably decided to do away with it for this reason.

It still doesnt answer the question of "what if the DHD is disabled?" seems to me they would be up the creek without a paddle unless they have a puddle jumper handy.

Quote Originally Posted by kree
    It still doesnt answer the question of "what if the DHD is disabled?" seems to me they would be up the creek without a paddle unless they have a puddle jumper handy.
    Did Mio just not say that the series probably wouldn't be heading down that road again.
    *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
    McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

The only "coordinates" the gates gets (even through the DHD) are the 6 symbols!

Carter stated somewhere beginning season 1 they had to recalculate those to compensate for the drift.

Maybe the "positions" of the starconstelletions that the symbols represent have to be updated from time to time - but once that's done dialing manually shouldn't be a problem.

If the DHD is disabled, on ANY Stargate, even the old version, manual dialing STILL should not work. It was just a convienient plot device that wasn't sound with the rest of their universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellcat
    The only "coordinates" the gates gets (even through the DHD) are the 6 symbols!

Carter stated somewhere beginning season 1 they had to recalculate those to compensate for the drift.

Maybe the "positions" of the starconstelletions that the symbols represent have to be updated from time to time - but once that's done dialing manually shouldn't be a problem.
    I don't think so.

I think the DHD sends over to the gate the following signal:

Actual Spacial Coordiates
    6 Symbols, for display purposes.

If the Atlantis gate's DHD goes down they could us the DHD on one of the puddle jumpers to dial.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Selmak
    If the Atlantis gate's DHD goes down they could us the DHD on one of the puddle jumpers to dial.
    whats that got to do with anything!?!?

and i agree that if the DHD in inoperable then itd have to be physicsally destroyed before manual dialling is possible! What do you mean about aqddress's changing? Do you mean eartyh has a differant address from each planet ? Thatd just be crazy cause everyone would get stuck offworld. Thus, when the system was BUILT each targets location must have been locked into the DHD system as a planet, and since then the DHD's have been able to compensate without changing the symbolism. This also goes for the stargate compouter on earth!

Also... how many stargates are there meant to be in pegasus... didnt someone say 700 and something? Seems a bit low to me!

Chief Master Sergeant

I am thinking that Atlantis probly has some hanheld remote dialers hidden in there somewhere. But I am with Selmak on this, its no big deal just use a dialer on one of the ships. If a team arrived on a planet by walking though the gate and the dialer on that planet was destroyed SGA command could still just send a ship through to pick up everyone and dial back.

They may find a way to hack it internally and be able to speed-dial, methinks. The Ancients wouldn't be that shortsighted (I hope). as Lindley on TrekBBS pointed out to me, it's kind of like the SG-1 Gates are analog, these ones are digital! Can we assume these are newer models too (even given their Ancient age).

I posted this in another thread and was referred here so...

Question: The Atlantis gate appears to be more advanced than the SG-1 gates. At least it does have more "blinky-light-thingies". So which gate is supposed to be the 1st generation and which is the 2nd generation? Or are they just different because our galaxy lacks "blinky-light" technology?
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Quote Originally Posted by Mio
    I don't think so.

I think the DHD sends over to the gate the following signal:

Actual Spacial Coordiates
    6 Symbols, for display purposes.
    Wouldn't make sense IMO.
    Why build all that symbol stuff just for display purpose.

And if so, manual dial would never have been worked, but it did oh so many times....

Quote Originally Posted by Hellcat
    Wouldn't make sense IMO.
    Why build all that symbol stuff just for display purpose.

And if so, manual dial would never have been worked, but it did oh so many times....
    When you're that advanced, adding a little 'form before function' isn't a problem.

So that the less advanced races (us) could understand it.

Question: Maybe this was addressed, but can you manually dial the Atlantis-style/Pegasus-style gate?

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualCLD
    Question: Maybe this was addressed, but can you manually dial the Atlantis-style/Pegasus-style gate?
    See the beginning part of this thread. The assumption is no because there does not seem to be any moving parts. However, as with practically everything in Atlantis, this remains to be seen.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Ah yes, my apologies. I do have another question/concern (not sure if ti fits here) and I'll do my best to make as much sense as possible. In terms of actually building the Atlantis stargate prop, it appears that there are many unique LED patterns (in theory 39? but some are burried?). Now, I believe each of the patterns that are visible are physically fixed at their location on the gate. This means, when they do the dialing sequence for the show, we see each of the symbols flash quickly in a rotating order. To try and explain, let's say the "dial" a symbol that looks like a "K" (if you conect the dots). As far as teh prop is concerned, the K doesn't really rotate around the gate, they are just quickly flashing through most of the symbols (possibly starting with the L), untill they get to the desired chevron locking position. now they can kind of get away with this because it moves so quickly, you really can't tell what's going on. Now, in terms of the Stargate Atlantis universe, is the actual "K" symbol supposed to rotate around the gate to the locking position, or is it supposed to operate just like the prop is doing in real life (or at least how I assume the prop is operating)? That was kind of long for one question and I hope I made sense. I'm sorry if I confuse anyone/crushed people's belief that Stargate Atlantis is real life.

Well it's not hard to do in real life. So if they chose that a symbol shouldn't rotate they probably have some good reasoning behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualCLD
    I'm sorry if I confuse anyone/crushed people's belief that Stargate Atlantis is real life.
    It's NOT?!?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions. I don't think the light patterns are random, however. They appear in closeup to look like star constellations. I think the actual prop just flashes patterns around the gate until lighting one up under the chevron marker. I'm not sure if it is supposed to appear as if the chevrons are going around the gate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast