Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've never seen SG - where should I start?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never seen SG - where should I start?

I've never seen SG - not the movie, SG-1 or SGA.

I am however a huge fan of BSG and am sure I would like SG.

I plan to get the DVDs and start from the beginning - should I see the movie first? And what is the relationship between SG-1 and SGA?

It's pretty good though - if it is as good as people make out - because there's nine seasons there just waiting to be watched - no commercials or season breaks.

I would say start with the movie first and then go onto the pilot of SG1. The relationship between SG1 and SGA is there is a stargate, that's pretty much it, as they are 2 different shows.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Watch the movie first

SGA is a spinoff off SG1 in a different galaxy

It is the best!!!

See: http://www.gateworld.net/articles/fe...er/index.shtml for a quick catch up
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

But when watching the first few seasons, mainly the 1st one, give it a chance, even though its a bit cheesed They pick up fast, there all awesome.

Comment

Highly recommended:

Stargate Original film.

SG-1: Children of the Gods (Premiere Pilot episode). Follow CotG with the whole of Season 1. You will get a very good understanding of SG-1 this way.

Stargate Atlantis: Rising (Premiere Pilot episode). (If you have access to Season 7 of Stargate SG-1, you may want to watch Lost City (both parts) before watching SGA's "Rising", although doing that will "spoilerize" the finale to Season 7.

Comment

Watch the movie first to get some context... but dont get too comfortable with everything you see because the do make some "changes" for the TV show. (TV show being better IMHO)...

And as evansmp said the first couple eps (although I can look back and appreciate them now) are a bit more cheesy then the series as a whole. By the time you get to ep 4 or 9 (or definitly 10) you should start seeing some of the greatness (IMHO).
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Watch it in order.

- Movie
              - SG-1 Seasons 1-7
              - Alternate SG-1 Season 8 and Atlantis Season 1 (starting with New Order)
              - Alternate SG-1 Season 9 and Atlantis Season 2 (starting with The Siege III)
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                Watch it in order.

- Movie
                - SG-1 Seasons 1-7
                - Alternate SG-1 Season 8 and Atlantis Season 1 (starting with New Order)
                - Alternate SG-1 Season 9 and Atlantis Season 2 (starting with The Siege III)
                Agree, however for a quicker introduction to the whole scheme of things if you're able to get individual episodes (or rent from Netflix), try and get the following eps:

The following episodes provide pretty much the core storyline to SG1 from S1 to S9. Anything with a * indicates a major episode/story change. Those with ** are I feel necessary to sufficiently understand S8 & S9. Some of the other episodes are more or less background for later major episodes. SGA you can pretty much watch from the beginning, though watching S7 of SG1 first helps especially Lost City.

For S9 all the episodes except 9x04 (Ties that Bind) and 9x05 (The Powers that Be) are necessary up to this point.

Hope this helps, yes there is a lot to see. For a quick jump in though to S9 watch Lost City 7x21/22, New Order 8x01/02, Reckoning 8x16/17, Threads 8x18.

Good luck and welcome to the cult... I mean fan club.

Also the spoiler tags below are more for the original poster's benefit than anyone else's since at this point, who are we kidding, they're not spoliers anymore.

*1x01 Children of the Gods
                1x02 The enemy within
                1x09 Thor's Hammer
                1x17 Solitudes (do not really need to watch it, basically it just is necessary to realize
                Spoiler:
                there is a second stargate in Antarctica

1x19
                1x20
                *1x21 Within the Serpent's Grasp
                *2x01 The Serpent's Lair
                2x06 Thor's Chariot
                2x09 Secrets
                *2x11/2x12 - The Tok'ra
                **2x15 The Fifth Race - This is a pretty important episode imo for just general background on
                Spoiler:
                the Ancients and Asgard and Lost City

3x03 - Fair Game
                *3x10 - Forever in a day
                *3x12 - Jolinar's Memories
                *3x13 - The Devil you Know
                *3x15 - Pretense
                **3x20 - Maternal Instinct
                **3x22 - Nemesis
                **4x01 - Small Victories
                4x13 - The Curse
                *4x21 - Exodus
                *4x21 - Enemies
                **5x03 - Ascension
                5x09 - Between Two Fires
                **5x15 - The Summit
                **5x16 - Last Stand
                **5x21 - Meridian
                **6x11 - Prometheus
                **6x12 - Unnatural Selection
                *6x22 - Full Circle
                **5x22 - Revelations
                *7x01 - Fallen
                *7x02 - Homecoming
                7x11/7x12 - Evolution
                7x15 - Chimera
                *7x18 - Though this is a continuation of 7x17 you can watch 7x18 on its on imo. This is not directly related to S8/S9 however it does provide a HUGE impact to the SGC.
                **7x21/7x22 - The Lost City

S8 information of 'good' eps / background for S9
                *8x01/8x02 - New Order
                8x03 - Lockdown
                *8x11 - Gemini
                **8x12 - Prometheus Unbound
                *8x13 - It's Good to Be King
                **8x16/8x17 - Reckoning
                **8x18 - Threads - This is a major tie out episode basically tying out all the lose 'Threads' from anywhere from S2-S8
                8x19/8x20 - This is really a more important storyline for 2x01 of SGA

Comment

I recommend watching them in chronological order:
                  Movie
                  SG1 seasons 1-7
                  SG1 season 8 & SGA season 1
                  SG1 season 9 & SGA season 2

Just remember that there are differences between the movie & the series (e.g. the actors for a start!). However, watching the movie will give you some useful background for when you watch SG1 'Children of the Gods' and it is a good movie, so it's well worth watching first.

It would be best to not start watching SGA until you've seen 'New Order' (in SG1's Season 8), as otherwise it will spoil a few things throughout earlier SG1 seasons.

SGA is a spin-off of SG1. Same premise, same timeline (well SG1 season 8 = SGA season 1, but SGA isn't set 2000 years in the future or something is what I mean! ), same universe, different galaxy, different enemy. Some characters sometimes crossover from SG1 (e.g. in 'Rising'), but the lead cast of SGA is different to that of SG1.

Happy viewing!
                  No commercials or season breaks - gah! sounds good! Enjoy!

Comment

Like others, I recommend the simplicity of viewing in chronological order.

You should supplement your Stargate viewing with a regular dose of Gateworld too.
                    Especially when you find what you see, hard to digest
                    Last edited by jazz!; 10 January 2006, 08:07 AM.
                    It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I agree start with the movie and at least the frist and season season.
                      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

The Movie, if you like that then watch the pilot 'Children of the Gods' and if you like that watch the seasons in order

Im sure you'll like it though

Comment

It depends on how much in a hurry you are to reach Season 9.

If there's no hurry, watch in chronological order RECOMMENDED... if possible starting with the movie.

If there is a hurry, Stomp's list (above) is pretty comprehensive.

Or, if there's a big rush, watch the following:

The pilot: Children of the Gods

Then the clip shows, to catch up on story lines (ugh ... i never thought i'd recommend clip shows to anyone - they aren't necesserily the best eps, but they'll help you catch up).

They are:
                          Season 1: Politics
                          Season 2: Out of mind (optional ... it's a horrible episode as it's also the season finale ... and a two parter)
                          Season 6: Disclosure
                          Season 7: Inauguration
                          Season 8: Citizen Joe - good for an outline of all 8 years

Then watch Lost City (parts 1 and 2) ... (sets up Atlantis)

Then watch from season 8:

New Order (I and II)
                          Reckoning (I and II)
                          Threads
                          Moebius (I and II) ... sets up Atlantis season 2

Then watch all of Atlantis season 1

Then you can watch SG-1 season 9 and Atlantis Season 2

If you have time for some episodes that are better than clip shows, then my top ten from seasons 1-7 are:

1 Window of Opportunity (season 4)
                          2 The Fifth Race (season 2)
                          3 Lost city part II (season 7)
                          4 Full Circle (season 6)
                          5 Heroes part II (part 2 of 2 ... part 1 = Heroes Part 1 - both season 7)
                          6 Abyss (season 6)
                          7 There but for the Grace of God (season 1)
                          8 Meridian (season 5)
                          9 In the Serpent's Lair (season 2)(part 2 of 2 ... part 1 = Within the serpent's grasp (season 1))
                          10 Lost City part I (season 7)
                          Last edited by jonno; 10 January 2006, 03:42 PM.
                          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by justinbrett
                            I've never seen SG - not the movie, SG-1 or SGA.

I am however a huge fan of BSG and am sure I would like SG.

I plan to get the DVDs and start from the beginning - should I see the movie first? And what is the relationship between SG-1 and SGA?

It's pretty good though - if it is as good as people make out - because there's nine seasons there just waiting to be watched - no commercials or season breaks.
                            My advice?
                            Watch the movie. Once you've recovered(yes, it's that good) watch S1 to S7 of SG-1.
                            Then, watch SGA and SG-1 concurrently. This is because SGA spinsoff from the beginning of SG S8(about ep 3 I think). If you watch SGA too early, many plot points from SG-1 will be revealed/ruined.
                            Enjoy.

Comment

I am so joulus. I wish I could do that. You get to watch the characters change just like that. Daniel is nothing like he was back in the day. And Teal'c was more of a Warrior back in the day.
                              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Working...
                              X