No announcement yet.

Why is there a Point of Origin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first six symbols are the address where you want to go. six points in space to work out the exact location of a planet. each stargate is independant of every other, and they occasionally get moved from one planet to another. if you assume that the DHD is capable of determining where it is in space, then the seventh symbol acts as the second set of six co-ordinates. so you when you dial the seven symbol gate address its like telling the gate 'i want to go here' with the first six and 'i am here' with the seventh.

Comment

You need a Point of Origin to open your end of the wormhole, the other 6 digits pin-point where you want the other end to open up.

Comment

with out me telling you were to start from, plot me a path to the "O"

O

kinda hard isnt it

Comment

If you consider the original movie and the series as part of the same franchise, then there are many things that need explaining away. I prefer to forget about the movie due to the inconsistencies..The SG universe was created around the series. Very little time was spent in the movie determining the physics behind it all. For example, in the movie, Catherine Langford said to Daniel after the gate had dialed the first 6 symbols "this is as far as we have ever got".. then why in the world didnt they just try using the remaining symbols one by one as the PoO? Eventually through trial and error they would have picked the right one. It would have been better if they hadn't identified any of the symbols.. They would only have had to try dialing the gate 39 times before they established a connection. Daniel Jackson didnt "make it work".. he just explained the theory behind it.

Comment

1. Can you draw a line without starting somewhere?
            2. Can you do anything without starting some place?
            ----------------------------------------------------

Everything in this universe needs to related to something....

Comment

i agree with Integrabyte(who has a good sig ).

I dunno if this has been said but the PoO is probibily stored in a database that's updated by the DHD's when a gate is moved of what not.

the reasons i think this are:

1) you need to have some indication to where you came from.

2) 1 symbol doesn't seem enough to tell a spot in a 3d environment.

3) so it only makes sense that each PoO is just a symbol that represents the proper co-ordinates.

4) and the reason only the PoO done like this as it would be impractical to have a gate that has thousands of symbols on it.

5) It would be also impractical to have to dial 6 more symbols to tell you where you are.

Comment

I have a question. Its not really off topic and if its been asked and answered already, sorry but I didn't read the whole thread. Ok so any habitable planet has to be orbiting a sun in order to support life, correct? So how does the point of origin, or the whole address for that matter remain constant, if the Stargate would be constantly moving? Example: if you dial a 'Gate and then dial it again six months later the 'Gate would be on the opposite side of the sun(for the sake of this example the orbit this planet is the same as ours.) so wouldn't the address have to different, because Gate address' are supposed to coordinates in space, right?
                sigpic
                Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

If each gate has its own symbol for its PoO, and there are 39 symbols, then wouldn't that imply that there are only 39 gates? We know there are more than that.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frontastic View Post
                    I have a question. Its not really off topic and if its been asked and answered already, sorry but I didn't read the whole thread. Ok so any habitable planet has to be orbiting a sun in order to support life, correct? So how does the point of origin, or the whole address for that matter remain constant, if the Stargate would be constantly moving? Example: if you dial a 'Gate and then dial it again six months later the 'Gate would be on the opposite side of the sun(for the sake of this example the orbit this planet is the same as ours.) so wouldn't the address have to different, because Gate address' are supposed to coordinates in space, right?
                    The stargate DHDs are supposed to account for that. That's actually the reason the SGC needed such a powerful dialing computer and Carter also said it's the reason it took them a long time to calculate new addresses to add to the computer.

Originally posted by andrewTellis View Post
                    If each gate has its own symbol for its PoO, and there are 39 symbols, then wouldn't that imply that there are only 39 gates? We know there are more than that.
                    If all gates had the same glyphs, then yes, but it's hypothesized that each gate might have it's own unique PoO to make more then 39 possible.

Comment

Some gates have switched chevrons, like the Giza Gate(The A in the Stargate title). That allows it to dial without accidentally using someone else's Point of Origin.

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59484
                      Credits to Shanthaia for the siggy.
                      The Chevron Team
                      Spoiler:
                      Never make everything Organic!
                      Atlantis Meeting. The Atlantis team views a Wraith transmission...
                      :Thanks to us finding a stockpile of drone weapons, we have reverse-engineered them and created an organic version. We are finished with the testing and YOU will be our first target.
                      :Order evacuation of all unimportant personnel. Raise the shield.
                      :The drones are heading towards us.
                      :Those drones look familiar...
                      : SQUID?!?
                      We are sending eggs so you can make some squid/egg rolls after this. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi View Post
                        If you consider the original movie and the series as part of the same franchise, then there are many things that need explaining away. I prefer to forget about the movie due to the inconsistencies..The SG universe was created around the series. Very little time was spent in the movie determining the physics behind it all. For example, in the movie, Catherine Langford said to Daniel after the gate had dialed the first 6 symbols "this is as far as we have ever got".. then why in the world didnt they just try using the remaining symbols one by one as the PoO? Eventually through trial and error they would have picked the right one. It would have been better if they hadn't identified any of the symbols.. They would only have had to try dialing the gate 39 times before they established a connection. Daniel Jackson didnt "make it work".. he just explained the theory behind it.

This brings up a plot point. If Daniel didn't have all 7 symbols in the movie but had the 6 for earth why didn't he manually try each of the other symbols on the gate until a connection was established? The could have left long before ra showed up. We won't get into the missing DHD in the movie discussion.

Comment

I have read the first 4 pages as well as this last page, so I don't know if what I'm about to say has been said, anyways, I will tell you what I think.

1. The PoO could just be something that was in the movie to give Daniel a problem to solve.

2. Assuming that this is not the case, there is several reasons to why there should be a PoO.
                          The PoO is used instead of 6 more symbols for coordinates, and thus it tells you were to begin. How would it be possible to use one symbol instead of six then? Well my theory is that the gate must somehow connect to the other gate before it actually opens the wormhole, right? And if it can't connect the 7th chevron won't lock, as seen in the show several times. Therefor, as it send the signal to the other gate, it will locate where the other gate is, relative to itself, and that way be able to figure out it's own coordinaters when you compare the other gates relative location with the coordinates you enter with in the first 6 symbols, and then send it's own coordinates in the 7th symbol. Because of this the PoO always look different(or is supposed to at least) on each gate, making it easy to locate on the DHD. This theory also proves that the PoO itself doesn't have certain coordinates, and therefor could be moved to different planets or be used on a ship. Since the PoO then would send it's current coordinates rather than the coordinates to where it is "supposed" to be if you belive it has a fixed location.
                          If this would be how it works then the PoO could be used as an identification symbol, that identifies which gate is dialing rather than representing a fixed location in the galaxy.

Another thing that the PoO could be used as is sort of a Enter button to tell the gate that it is the full address, or if you consider the big red button to be the enter, the PoO is a full stop(.).

-----

Also, to answer a question I saw earlier in the topic, how could the ancients(or at least Janus) lock out all gates but earths from dialing Atlantis? Well, this could be seen from differrent points of view.
                          1. The gate locked all gates in the Pegasus Galaxy from dialing Atlantis.
                          or
                          2. The gate was locked so that it could only be accesed by the gate with earths symbol(the Å), of course this one is only possible if my theory stated above is true.

Considering these two possibilities, the 1st one is the most likely one, since they didn't wanted the wraith to have the city, and considering that they at the moment didn't know of any threat in the Milky Way, the Goa'uld wasn't a threat at this time, or at least the Ancients didn't know of them...

Comment

What is the point of religion, any religion?

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                              What is the point of religion, any religion?
                              ?
                              Are you talking about the Origin as in the Ori? Because we are discussing the Point of Origin that you find on a DHD. The 7th symbol used when dialing another gate...

Comment

Originally posted by andrewTellis View Post
                                No, the point of origin, seems to be unique for each gate and appears on DHD instead of the "A" .
                                Actualy this seems to be true in the earlier episodes, we can clearly see the symbole of the gamekeeper's planet for example (sort of whirlwind).
                                This seemed to be ignored in the following episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X