This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wraith Assumption

Is there no question that the Wraith are indeed the race that defeated the Ancients in the Pegasus galaxy? While there was a good deal of allusion to this, it was never clearly stated. I'll admit that a lot of what was revealed in the Ancient hologram recording parallel's the stardard Wraith MO, but it just doesn't seem to fit in my opinion.

I would think that a race that rivals the Ancients in technology and evolution would be incontestable to a race as unevolved as 21st century humans. If this battle for the galaxy indeed occurred million of years ago, it should be safe to assume that the Wraith would have progressed even futher. I can't believe they are content to feed off humans for this amount of time without advancing their civilization. After all, they couldn't have defeated the ancients by being a stagnant race of simple predators.

I guess I'm just expecting too much for a TV show, but I felt that the producers developed the Goa'uld believably and expect the same for Atlantis. Maybe a million years is just too large of a timespan to comprehend.

Dave

The Hologram said it was a dark and power enemy, then she said it began to spread of much of the galaxy, or something. We have a good idea it is the wraith.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

It seems that TPTB have left room for pulling a twist on us and introduce a new species as the enemy. For now, it is pretty clear that the Wraiths are the Ancients' enemy.

Comment

'we set foot upon a dark world where a terrible enemy lay in slumber' Or something like that.

The bulk of the wraith are always in hibernation. That proves that the enemy is the wraith.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
          'we set foot upon a dark world where a terrible enemy lay in slumber' Or something like that.

The bulk of the wraith are always in hibernation. That proves that the enemy is the wraith.
          Actually, that alludes to the enemy being the Wraith. There could be another race of advanced beings out there, also currently sleeping. The Wraith don't look like they'll be that difficult to defeat, once the Atlantis Team gets used to the Ancients' weapons. The Wraiths' weapons even look weak. Did you see the way they barely left a dent on the walls when the stray dart-shots fired through the gate? All the At-Team would have to do is sit Beckett down in a chair, and unleash the jellyfish of doom on the Wraith homeworld.
          It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Remember that Teyla had never met anyone who didn't know who the wraith were. That proves that the wraith are indeed the big baddies around. Which would mean that if there was another bunch of advanced aliens around, the wraith would have had to beat them at some point to become the dominant species. And I can't see them doing that to someone else who were powerful enough to beat the Ancients.
            Last edited by Ugly Pig; 18 July 2004, 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Unless the alleged "mystery race" went to sleep soon after the Ancients fled, and the Wraith woke up soon after. And, you know, the mystery race stayed asleep for over 10,000 years. In a world of convenient plot devices, anything can happen.
              It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

That is, of course, presuming this other race needs centuries of sleep like the Wraith. Yeah, that's probable.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

the wraith are just wasting time sleeping, so they arent evolving at all. there just sleeping.

Comment

We know the Wraith are the Ancients' enemy that defeated them.

Annals of the Curator of the Feeding Grounds, in the first rotation of the New Awakening of the Wraith.

"Entry the second.

"Signs have come from among the herd, signs we have not known since the Awakening of the Great War. Our scouts, pursuing these signs,
                    ensnared a group of strange humans trespassing upon the grounds of our stewardship. Their prime male was strong, but our lady, the Keeper of the Sleep, nonetheless took from his mind tidings of his home territory — a fertile world swarming with prey. This world, Earth, is far from here and the route there is unknown, but a banquet spread cannot be ignored. We do not doubt that we will one day reach this bounty and devour it in an orgy of great strengthening and joy.

"Barring our way, however, stand our Ancient Enemies. We know this because more new humans invaded our hive to free those whom our scouts had corralled. Their leader, a persistent beast, bore with him a piece of Enemy technology. He killed the Keeper of the Sleep, whose dying voice triggered our glorious Awakening. The male human then fled our wrath with his fellow creatures. Those of us who pursued him say he learned quickly, teaching his small herd to ignore our deceptive shadows. Surely a mere game animal, however canny, could not accomplish so much, so fast, without help.

"So he has had help — and this means the Enemy Technology is awake. We must therefore assume that the Ancient Enemies themselves, those who built the star portals and the city on the water, are awake as well.

"They are foul perversions. They condemn us merely because humans are the food we must eat. If they could, our Ancient Enemies would forbid us this food until we died of starvation. They deny nature itself in their monstrous arrogance.

"Therefore, we welcome our Ancient Enemies' coming, so that we may finally exterminate them, as is our right. Our people shall not be hungry."

This is from the official SciFi Atlantis website under the alien section. We find out exactly what the Wraith know and what they assume. The Keeper recognized what Sheppard was carrying as a device of the Ancients. They think that the Ancients sleep like they do apparently and have come to the conclusion they are back, when in fact it is their descendents that are back, namely us.

I do find it interesting though that the Wraith identify the Ancient Enemies separately from "humans". Could it be they think the Ancients and humans are two different species? Or are the just distinguishing between the technologically advanced Ancients and the primitive humans inhabiting their galaxy?
                    "It will take more than courage to survive what is to come"

Comment

Originally posted by Tannis
                      Could it be they think the Ancients and humans are two different species? Or are the(y) just distinguishing between the technologically advanced Ancients and the primitive humans inhabiting their galaxy?
                      I would assume they could identify the difference. It's my assumption that the Ancients seed and raise a less-evolved form of humans, the second evolution of their form. It makes sense to me that a race so advanced would do that, somewhat akin to playing god. It's possible that before ascention, they believed it was their duty. Gardeners of their galaxy.

Dave

Comment

I think the reason they didnt progress was beacause they were all napping. Once the "caretaker" was killed they were risen again. They mother ship is covered in tress. which means it must of been dormant for quite a while

"Are you trying to tell me that you...built a time machine, out of a Delorean"- Marty Mcfly

Comment

Originally posted by 8th Chevron
                          Is there no question that the Wraith are indeed the race that defeated the Ancients in the Pegasus galaxy? While there was a good deal of allusion to this, it was never clearly stated. I'll admit that a lot of what was revealed in the Ancient hologram recording parallel's the stardard Wraith MO, but it just doesn't seem to fit in my opinion.
                          The Hologram said they arrived to find the galaxy apparently lifeless, until they woke the Wraith. It's possible the Wraith wiped out all other life and went into hibernation until the Ancients came. After conquering the human seeded worlds, they would have learned to keep the herds around.

I would think that a race that rivals the Ancients in technology and evolution would be incontestable to a race as unevolved as 21st century humans. If this battle for the galaxy indeed occurred million of years ago, it should be safe to assume that the Wraith would have progressed even futher. I can't believe they are content to feed off humans for this amount of time without advancing their civilization. After all, they couldn't have defeated the ancients by being a stagnant race of simple predators.
                          It's possible that the war between them ended only a few thousand years ago. They submerged the city and returned to earth where the Greeks (or the Egyptians going by Platos account) learn of the legend of Atlantis. The wraith keeper also suggested that their herds have not been so good for 10,000 years.

Comment

I've heard a lot of people say that the Wraith could not be the Ancient's enemy one of the reasons being that the Wraith dart ships don't do that much damage and are easily taken out by the Puddle jumper. The darts weapons might suck but maybe the Wraith's mothership or ships have much more powerful weapons. Also, I think that when they "seeded" the Pegasus galaxy, not all the new humans were as advanced as them. Also as far as we know, the Ancients might not have had any motherships, Atlantis could have been their only powerbase, thats why it could have survived. Well, i'm new and that's just my theory.

Comment

I would assume they could identify the difference. It's my assumption that the Ancients seed and raise a less-evolved form of humans, the second evolution of their form. It makes sense to me that a race so advanced would do that, somewhat akin to playing god. It's possible that before ascention, they believed it was their duty. Gardeners of their galaxy.
                              Dave
                              That does make sense, given the attitude evidenced by the Wraith in the Journal above. It speaks of the Ancients
                              :"They condemn us merely because humans are the food we must eat. If they could, our Ancient Enemies would forbid us this food until we died of starvation. They deny nature itself in their monstrous arrogance.
                              So it would seem at least the Wraith believe that the Ancients were "arrogant" and probably believed they were the best thing out there.. even maybe that they were "gods" of some sort. The Holoancient, if I remember correctly, did say that until they met the Wraith they had not met any civilization that was as advanced as them.

So it is possible that they themselves above everyone else. I would also assume that they seeded planets maybe not with actual beings but perhaps 'nudged' evolution in the proper direction to evolve humanoids, or even so far as to alter the way things were developing on planets to encourage humanoid life to evolve.

In the Stargate universe it would seem logical even to propose that the Ancients were what was responsible for Cro-magan man disappearing in favor of Homo-sapiens 50,000 or so years ago. Just a thought
                              "It will take more than courage to survive what is to come"

Comment

Working...
                              X