Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The N.I.D. - Are we ever going to know it by something OTHER than it's acronym?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The N.I.D. - Are we ever going to know it by something OTHER than it's acronym?

Oikay, I'm pretty sure that we haven't learnt what the N.I.D is ACTUALLY known as, during all the years this agency (made-up, I'm pretty sure, or at least not nearly as extensive as TPTB have shown it to be in the Stargate shows) has been presented to us the viewers.

But I'm just wondering - do you think we actually WILL be told one day? It was just blurted out "NID" one day and people on the show knew what was being referred to - well thats fine; its a somewhat chequered, shadowy civilian oversight agency, with maybe a little bit more power and ability to do badness than it should have.

Great, but we pretty much know all these real organizations -

CIA = central intelligence agency
    DIA = defense intelligence agency
    NSA = national security agency
    FBI = federal bureau of investigation
    etc etc etc

I really doubted I would have had any luck, but ran a search in a pretty popular acronym finder website, and this is what I got.

I'm leaning towards something like "national intelligence division" or "national intelligence directorate". Okay yeah, it mightn't seem like a big gap to be filled in, considering the other things TPTB in their infinite wisdom haven't yet shared with us yet, but it's been bugging me for a little while now and I thought I'd just share my gripe with y'all

Okay then, thanks for reading I'd be interested to know what others think about this 'semi'-issue

Capt

well i've been told by a friend on IM that the NID is the NID is the NID, and that's all TPTB are going to really say on it cause they don't really know themselves what it stands for - some special feature called 'Disclosure' on S6 boxset reveals this, supposedly

i don't remember learning this, so I'm going to have to watch this special again real soon. so anyway, I guess we probably WON'T ever know

Capt

Comment

My good ol' buddy Fox Mulder asked Deep Throat and he admitted that N.I.D. is a departement of "they" but he wasn't able to find out the meaning of N.I.D.

Watch your back!

Big brother is watching you!

We know what you want! We know what you need! We know where you live!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Olli
        My good ol' buddy Fox Mulder asked Deep Throat and he admitted that N.I.D. is a departement of "they" but he wasn't able to find out the meaning of N.I.D.

Watch your back!

Big brother is watching you!

We know what you want! We know what you need! We know where you live!
        lmao @ your post

yeh, well i need new stargate episodes, with heavily featured; I want new stargate episodes of a fantastically incredible calibre; and y'all know where i live 'cause I've already revealed my Location to be Brisbane, Australia

Good bloody luck for 'they' to track things down further than that!

Capt
        Last edited by TheCaptain; 05 January 2006, 02:28 AM.

Comment

I thought the NID was National Intelligence Division. I'm sure it came up in an episode somewhere, and that's what it's called on wikipedia which is generally pretty reliable. Also we should have more episodes with those guys, I miss their deviousness.
          Don't you want to look beyond the horizon?

In the 2 hours and 14 minutes that Torri Higginson was online, there were 272 posts in the Elizabeth Weir Wow Thread. I was responsible for 2 of them. (Oh yeah and Gateworld crashed, but that's not important)

Please click here to feed the hungry, protect endangered land, and help fight breast cancer without spending a penny (inspired by the Whistler 84 in Memoriam thread)

Comment

Originally posted by mentalmichael
            I thought the NID was National Intelligence Division. I'm sure it came up in an episode somewhere, and that's what it's called on wikipedia which is generally pretty reliable. Also we should have more episodes with those guys, I miss their deviousness.
            what a damn good idea

done it, and yes you're right, national intelligence division it says so right here!

thanks a lot, that was a great idea didnt know why i didnt think of it sooner! . I'm qurious to know why my IM friend thinks TPTB didnt name them, or if they didnt then why has wikipedia said this...?

I would be interested to know what actual EPISODE this came up in, so that I could rewatch it and settle things for good in my own mind

but yes, thanks a bunch, mentalmichael, really appreciate it

Capt

Comment

wikipedia, since it's made up by fan submissions is far from 'official'

to the best of my recollection, nid has never been explained on the show and the show creators seem to be having fun keeping us guessing
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

to the best of my recollection, nid has never been explained on the show and the show creators seem to be having fun keeping us guessing
                yep well aware of wikipedia and how it's made, i've submitted a few little tidbits here and there on ancient Greek and Roman civilizations for the site

but when I ran a search for NID in the acronym database on that site i hyperlinked in one of the earlier posts, national intelligence division was a hit that the search got that made sense, the only one that could really apply considering the context

yes I for the life of me can't remember TPTB giving us a lowdown on the full name of the NID so meh, if they want to keep it from us and keep us goin wtf for the fun of it good for them, hope they have their little laugh

i'm happy enough to go with national intelligence division unless told otherwise

Capt

Comment

Snipped
                  Originally posted by TheCaptain
                  national intelligence division was a hit that the search got that made sense

Capt
                  snipped.

But they're an Oversight agency, not Intelligence....

- I'll go with National Incompetence Division. That seems to describe them perfectly.
                  1 Year 11mths without using the letter U on the thread: ask Morbo anything

Comment

Originally posted by Kelt'ar
                    Snippedsnipped.

But they're an Oversight agency, not Intelligence....

- I'll go with National Incompetence Division. That seems to describe them perfectly.
                    hmmm... arrggghhh!

yes that's true too, meh I resign myself to the fact that with this, there are no simple answers

there, i think this thread is pretty much dead unless someone else has some contributing comment/info. 'cause i'm lost, confused and fed up with this issue now

Capt

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Wikipedia IS publicly edited, yes, but if you look at the bottom of an article there is almost always a massive list of legitimate sources.

And damn. I always thought the NID was an actual organisation.
                      Although I guess if they did exist they wouldn't take to kindly to Stargate's hating on them.
                      why won't my sig rotator work

Comment

Originally posted by Snork
                        And damn. I always thought the NID was an actual organisation.
                        Although I guess if they did exist they wouldn't take to kindly to Stargate's hating on them.
                        I don't think they've really been hated on... all the evil players have been a part of rogue elements of the NID, not the organization as a whole. and now thanks to Agent Barlett, its even been cleaned up somewhat

all the bad eggs have seemingly jumped ship to the Trust, at least as far as I understand events. it probably held more possibilities thou for TPTB to create their own shadowy, secretive entity, instead of using one already-existing organization that might not cover all the angles they want this agency to cover. And yes, it's probably best for them to avoid offending powerful government orgs whenever possible...

Capt

Comment

Working...
                        X