X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA to be released in Blu-Ray format

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060104/law066.html?.v=41

EXCERPT:

Commencing Summer 2006, SPHE will begin adding bonus BD Java games, and other anticipated features, to new release titles including Underworld Evolution that will street day-and-date with DVD. The studio announced it will also deliver four catalog titles per month beginning this Summer, accelerating to 10 titles per month by the fourth quarter 2006. Also being readied for Summer release is the complete television series of sci-fi favorite, "Stargate Atlantis," in high-definition.

*click on link above for entire PR release*

Hmmm, interesting

Comment

so are thse blue ray discs backwards compatible with existing dvd players? or will folks be expected to trot out and plunk down more money to buy a special deck just to play them?
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

nothing to get too excited about imo, i dont believe blu-ray is backwards compatible with current dvd players as they use red lasers which have a different wavelength

and not to mention youd need a HD TV in order to take full advantage of the medium
        - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

so, unless they happen to release both red AND blue ray versions, they're really segregating the show off, putting it into an unavailable format? Kinda like releasing it in PSP only. which is great if you have a play station, an expensive coaster if you don't

sigpic

Comment

lol well they are releasing a version for red laser machines, theyre just normal DVDs

but i think the idea behind it is they want to get people to upgrade their machines to blu ray players as theyll be making them backwards compatible with DVDs as well

so i wouldnt call it segregating the show off, just merely future proofing it and making it accessible to the next generation of technology, its just a shame theyre not gunna be giving away blu ray players and HDTVs with the orders
            - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

yeah. it's the same way with wanting all the tv stations to go pure digital in a few years. yeah, sure, it'll be a 'cleaner and nicer signal' (althuogh digital is by its very nature on or off, there's no inbetween like there is with analog)

but the folks that came up with the idea didn't stop to think about how few companies that are out there that can build the new towers required, how much it would cost local stations, and how freaking expensive the tv's are.

they need to handle it like they have cell phones, where the cell phone companies basically give away the tech for free to commit you to paying for service.

i know there's no way i could afford a hdtv and i doubt i'll be clamouring to be the first on my block to get a blue ray either

sigpic

Comment

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=33949

The movie studios announced the release of several SF&F movie titles on the upcoming new high-definition Blu-ray Disc technology, which holds up to five times as much information as current DVDs, the ComingSoon.net Web site reported.
                sigpic

Comment

Use the search n00b!!! Theres a thread about this in Stargate News
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Cool, but I'm not going to buy them on Blu-Ray, I', just going to continue to buy them in good old DVD format
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                      Use the search n00b!!! Theres a thread about this in Stargate News
                      You know I just saw that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ooh! Fifth Element and Stoker's Dracula! Those should be fabulous in HD!

Odd though that Sony owns both Atlantis and SG1 yet there's no mention of the latter getting HDized...

Still, I recommend waiting this one out for a while. Blu Ray is going to be competing with HD-DVD and it's likely that there's only going to be one winner in the media format war. I'm not going to even think about buying a player and discs until there's a clear victor.

Comment

This is all next-generation stuff, meaning techies with lots of money will buy it this year and the rest of us will get around to it a few years down the road when it's cheap and more prominent. Then you'll think of your DVD player like you do your VCR.

Supposedly the new high-def players will also play your current generation DVDs ...
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Ahh, this is why I've been holding off buying the regular DVDs. After watching SGA in HD up here in Canada, it's really hard to go back to regular tv or even regular DVDs. It just looks brilliant!

Too bad Sony's evil and will no doubt cripple these discs with DRM

And unfortunately this is also true...

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                            Still, I recommend waiting this one out for a while. Blu Ray is going to be competing with HD-DVD and it's likely that there's only going to be one winner in the media format war. I'm not going to even think about buying a player and discs until there's a clear victor.
                            *keeps on waiting*

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                              http://www.computerworld.com/hardwar...107441,00.html
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X