Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latin Question-Transcript Error? (Lost City Spoiler)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Question-Transcript Error? (Lost City Spoiler)

I posted a silly crossword puzzle in the Stargate Fandom section and was just recently spellchecking it (I know...horse before cart...oh well). I ran across what is either a spelling error on my part or a transcript error on Gateworld.

The transcript reads:
    (Jack walks towards something that looks like an upright capsule. He puts his hands on both sides of it.)

O'NEILL: Dolmata.

JACKSON (to Sam, translating): Sleep.
    Now, when I watched The Lost City, I heard "dormata", not "dolmata". A Google search turns up both variations in relation to Stargate. Closed Captioning reads "speaks Ancient". However, a Latin dictionary search turns up the following:
    Results for query "dorm":

* dormio : to sleep, slumber, siesta, nap.
    * dormito : to be dreaming.
    * obdormio : to fall asleep.
    (Latin root "dorm" forms part of English word "dormant", as in "temporarily inactive")
    Results for query "dolm":

No matching record found!
    (The only English word I can think of is actually the Greek "dolma", or stuffed grape leaves...yummmm)

So, here is my question: Does O'Neill say "dormata" or "dolmata" in The Lost City, Part 2? I believe he says "dormata" because I don't want to redo the crossword puzzle and repost it (not that anyone cares ). At least not for this reason...I'm sure there are other errors in it. Right? Am I right? If so, somebody has to fix the Gateworld transcript...
    Last edited by Anthro Girl; 18 July 2004, 03:01 AM. Reason: toooo sleeeeppppyyy
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

He says dormata
    Non Fui, Fui, Non Sum, Non Curo

Comment

He did say dormata

but from a linguistic point of view /l/ and /r/ are very similar sounds and were often change in later romance languages

*Thinks about going on with a lenghty linguistics explanation but thinks better of it.*

Comment

Anyhoo it wouldn't matter if it was wrong because Anceint is not simply Latin with a different accent. See "The fifth Race" for examples. Latin words are similar to ancient but not excatly the same.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Lugal
          He did say dormata but from a linguistic point of view /l/ and /r/ are very similar sounds and were often change in later romance languages
          That's true, but it can still wreak havoc in a crossword puzzle.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Originally posted by Lugal
            He did say dormata

but from a linguistic point of view /l/ and /r/ are very similar sounds and were often change in later romance languages

*Thinks about going on with a lenghty linguistics explanation but thinks better of it.*
            Hehe...pity! I was waiting for it!

As both /l/ and /r/ are also interchangeable in, say, Ancient Egyptian (for writing an <l>, you actually had to write <rw>), it might just have been Jack's slurred speech....couldn't get his tongue away from his palate fast enough

Though I would have liked the sleep-inducing vine leaves.....

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
            Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
            ~CELLO!~
            ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
              Hahahahaha!!! Had a bowl of those just the other day. They are quiet tasty! I'm Greek by the way too

As for Ancient and Latin being different, I figured that Latin was a language that derived from Ancient and evolved on it's own, coming up with it's own accent and slang separate to the Ancient language...

Any thoughts?
              "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
                As for Ancient and Latin being different, I figured that Latin was a language that derived from Ancient and evolved on it's own, coming up with it's own accent and slang separate to the Ancient language...
                Yeah, that's being discussed somewhere around here on a separate thread. I just made a crossword puzzle, so the spelling is actually important. Personally, I think he should have been wrapped in marinated grape leaves and rice...at least he'd have some food.

SPOILER FOR ATLANTIS, RISING

As far as the writing is concerned, there is no Ancient language, only an Ancient font.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                  Yeah, that's being discussed somewhere around here on a separate thread. I just made a crossword puzzle, so the spelling is actually important. Personally, I think he should have been wrapped in marinated grape leaves and rice...at least he'd have some food.

SPOILER FOR ATLANTIS, RISING

As far as the writing is concerned, there is no Ancient language, only an Ancient font.
                  more spoiler space

It would be impossible for us to not only figure out what the letters meant, but to translate it
                  sigpic

Comment

Funny, I have it on DVD, and it sounds like Dormada to me. Im a latin scholar so I knew what he meant before Danny said it. That makes me smile ear-to-ear, a bit like this....

Comment

JACKSON (to Sam, translating): Sleep.

NEITh agh ugh aaack bad latin

yes dormio means sleep but - mata is a greek suffix used to mark 3rd declension abstracts which corresponds to latin - men

its not a greek word either

its jsut a bad pun on dormant or someone thought it would be cute to mix greek and latin

or its suppose to be Eustratic or proto eurasian or something

aaargh sheesh guys if you wanted an ancient cultures languages consultant
                      (you certainly need one)
                      I've offered several free samples !!!

Neith firmly convinced she knows far more about archaeogenetics ands archaeolinguistics than the writers and that probably none of them know who c renfrew j mallory or m ruhlen are?
                      Keep the science in SciFi!

Comment

Arrgh, okay, fine...no consensus. So, for the purposes of my freakin' crossword, it's D-O-R-M-A-T-A...as in dormio (latin: to sleep), dormito (latin: sleepy corn chip), dormant (as in volcano), dormitory (as in a place to crash between parties and classes).

Comment

Ha! So those 3 years of french weren't a complete waste.

I caught Dormata because of the word Dormir (french for to sleep)
                          sigpic

Comment

neith4, its not bad Latin, its good Ancient. In Fifth Race in season 2, DJ says it sounds like a derivation from medieval Latin. Its not supposed to be spot on, its intended to me reminiscent, and for a french student (Mio) with (presumably) no Latin, to recognise the sound of the word and accurately guess its meaning, I'd say TPTB/ the writers achieved their goal.

They are the ancients, and this...is a piece of their leg

Comment

Originally posted by neith4

aaargh sheesh guys if you wanted an ancient cultures languages consultant
                              (you certainly need one)
                              I've offered several free samples !!!

Neith firmly convinced she knows far more about archaeogenetics ands archaeolinguistics than the writers and that probably none of them know who c renfrew j mallory or m ruhlen are?
                              Believe me, I've had that thought for *years* - *whine*

I would've done it without pay at that....it's not that difficult if you did loads of that stuff at university....
                              Maybe we should offer our combined services?

Gonna go have some vine leaves now....
                              But anyway, the crossword puzzle is fun!

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
                              Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
                              ~CELLO!~
                              ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Working...
                              X