Epiphanies (213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Othere
    Sure, she is just brillant. Couldn'twouldn't want anyone else for the part.And she isn't afraid (roslin) to stand by her decisions - respect

I guess you know...David Eick and Ron Moore have told several times since the mini that Laura Roslin was written specifically for a "Mary mcDonnell type" and they couldn´t believe theh actually got Mary McDonnell to play the role.

I bought the mini because of her and after I fell for the show and the rest of the cast.

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER
      I guess you know...David Eick and Ron Moore have told several times since the mini that Laura Roslin was written specifically for a "Mary mcDonnell type" and they couldn´t believe theh actually got Mary McDonnell to play the role.

I bought the mini because of her and after I fell for the show and the rest of the cast.
      TBH, I hated the original series and when I saw the trailer for th mini I rolled my eyes and thought here we go...
      My friend bought the DVD and we watched it around his place and I wasn't exactly enthused with the idea. But wow! Am really glad he did. The mini was awesome and I couldn't wait for the series to start. Now, my other half likes it, but he's not quite into it as much as I am, so I'm trying to get him to catch up so he at least knows whats going on. He's still on he 1st series at the moment. Interesting to watch it again after series 2 though. Lots of little things in there that I didn't catch before when I watched it the first time.
      I like all the cast, they are really suited for their roles.
      Fabbo

'All of this has happened before
      And all of this will happen again
      So say we all.'

Comment

TBH, I hated the original series and when I saw the trailer for th mini I rolled my eyes and thought here we go...
        My friend bought the DVD and we watched it around his place and I wasn't exactly enthused with the idea. But wow! Am really glad he did. The mini was awesome and I couldn't wait for the series to start. Now, my other half likes it, but he's not quite into it as much as I am, so I'm trying to get him to catch up so he at least knows whats going on. He's still on he 1st series at the moment. Interesting to watch it again after series 2 though. Lots of little things in there that I didn't catch before when I watched it the first time.
        I like all the cast, they are really suited for their roles.
        Fabbo

Well, I didn´t remember TOS and I have bought it after watching TNS and I don´t want to be too hard on the show.

I´ve been a STARGATE fan since the 2nd season (I thought RDA had made a really big mistake by signing for SG-1 but the show improved and I fell for it after IN THE LINE OF DUTY) an I´ve bought a few SG-1 DVDs from amazon and BSG was between the recommendations and I thought Mary mcDonnell couldn´t be THAT wrong and I remember watching it and trying to take a nap...and I couldn´t sleep because I couldn´t stop! About the characters I love the way they are evolving and changing because it´s more evident than in other shows. I love Starbuck more now than in the mini and I love Laura Roslin despite some of her decissions and I do love Six too. I felt ofended in a way because SCIFICHANNEL used SIX to sell the show and for the promos and I couldn´t believe how they didn´t use the stars of the show...but 3 years later I don´t care about it any longer.

Comment

Well, I didn´t remember TOS and I have bought it after watching TNS and I don´t want to be too hard on the show.

I´ve been a STARGATE fan since the 2nd season
          On a completely unrelated (well, not that unrelated) we had a Star Gate paintball scenario game last year, complete with gate and all.
          We did Star Wars the year before and that was a blast - wonder if we will get a battlestar galactica game in the future

So say we all.'

Comment

On a completely unrelated (well, not that unrelated) we had a Star Gate paintball scenario game last year, complete with gate and all.
            We did Star Wars the year before and that was a blast - wonder if we will get a battlestar galactica game in the future

It looks really funny!....and lots of hard work (wardrobe, the gate itself, effects...)

Comment

It looks really funny!....and lots of hard work (wardrobe, the gate itself, effects...)
              Its a real blast

So say we all.'

Comment

Its a real blast

any documentaries, photos..? You definitely should record it! Unfortunately my friends don´t enjoy scifi as well (they say it´s totally unexpected from me) and I join forums to look for scifi lovers as me.

You could try a trek in Kobol maybe..or guerrilla war in New Caprica.

Comment

any documentaries, photos..? You definitely should record it! Unfortunately my friends don´t enjoy scifi as well (they say it´s totally unexpected from me) and I join forums to look for scifi lovers as me.

You could try a trek in Kobol maybe..or guerrilla war in New Caprica.
                  Can't find the other link but here is the stargate one - http://staargate.ukpsf.com/
                  It's a shame realy cos the costumes were pretty fab

So say we all.'

Comment

Okay I was watching the mini the other day and noticed something that relates back to this episode.

Roslin supposedly saw Baltar and Six together or at least thinks she did. Well how could she have seen them together that day when in the mini she is already on her way to the Galactica before they show those scenes of Baltar (in the pinstripe suit) and Six walking together. In the mini right after those scenes, it then cuts to the soon to be Colonial One landing on Galactica and Roslin coming aboard.

Something I just happened to notice. Minor timeline details that got mixed up perhaps or was it intentional?
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Wasnt all the fussed with this ep. Roslins flashbacks about Baltar were interesting, but i doubt they will be useful, as she cant prove anything.

Baltar using Sharons baby's blood to cure the cancer was a bit odd.
                      Didnt think much of those 'peace' terrorist types. Baltar giving them a nuke at the end was pretty stupid too.
                      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

she's so pale...

glad she didnt die.

would have stopped watching.

Dorka is a beautiful genius

.:A/R:.

Comment

This whole teachers' strike thing seems totally impossible to me. Was Roslin, as Secretary of Education, in charge of all the schools on all 12 worlds? In the UK alone, we have at least 3 different education systems! (Not sure if Wales has its own chief or not?) How could one person possibly keep on top of the whole thing? If she was supposed to be in charge of it all, I find it very hard to believe that she would be so closely involved in sorting out one strike (surely all the teachers on all 12 worlds weren't on strike at once? In England alone we have several different teachers' unions!) And surely the teachers' pay wasn't negotiated centrally for all 12 worlds.

(Mind you, I find the whole "press pack" thing completely ridiculous every time that crops up, too. It is maybe just that it seems strange that the Colonial government setup is so similar in many ways to the US government! Er, and speaking of the press pack, how come they weren't demanding access to the pres when she was dying?)
                          Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

go hera saving the president and baltar FTW i loved that he saved the day finally.

Comment

Interesting episode, even if a little provocative. I can understand the incredibly difficult position Adama and Roslin are in - they don't have the perspective we do, and they are immersed in a situation that we're not. Further, I found it daring that TPTB put the peace activists in an antagonistic light in this episode. That made me think... reflect upon my own positions. To me, the brilliant thing about BSG and it's willingness to be controversial is the fact that it doesn't try to force you to pick a side; it hurls the audience into a whirling gray-area. Makes us take a second look at positions/answers we thought were certain. I know, personally, some eps made me feel like I didn't know which way was up, metaphorically speaking.

As for the deus ex machina, given how infrequently the device has been used in the show thus far, I was willing to suspend my disbelief. I also adore Laura Roslin's character, so this was MORE than welcomed. What I found interesting was the interesting position this puts Roslin in vis-a-vis Sharon.

As far as the sighting of Baltar and Six on Caprica, I think RDM acknowledged the wardrobe/timeline conceit in one of the podcasts... I can't remember which, right now though.

Ha! I love that Baltar's narcissistic ego compelled him to open Roslin's letter. Loved the letter, too.

As much as this episode elates me because it marks the survival of Laura Roslin, I find it to be a very average episode. Neither terribly impressive nor a great let-down.
                              "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                              ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Working...
                              X