Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusade (919)

Stargate: Horizon Staff Writer SierraGulf1's Avatar

Default Re: Crusade (919)

Great episode.

I think it's better that they showed Claudia Black instead of Michael Shanks on camera. MS is a great actor, and I would have loved to see him, but I like the continuity with the fact that when Vala and Daniel were inside Harrid and Salas we saw them as Daniel and Vala, except in mirrors, etc.
    Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
    Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
    Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
    Stargate Destiny, Fan
    Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay435
    Yeah, it would have been easier, and would have made sense. But with CB being tptb's new toy, they were never going to go that way. Makes me very leery for Season 10. This would have been an excellent episode for MS, certainly fun to watch him act like Vala. But he was slapped on the wallpaper in favor of all Vala, all the time.

Bah.
    Except they could just as easily have had him in the beginning scene with Mitchell for the joke and to establish that she was in Daniel, and then not show any of him until the end when she was gone and Daniel was back. Or, they could have written some other way for Vala to communicate what happened without making her inhabit Daniel's body and he could have just been with the rest of SG1. Even if they were making it a showcase for CB (and this episode was 99% Vala), I can't see why they would want to wallpaper MS more than the other actors, who weren't exactly taking up gobs of screentime themselves. MS has gotten some nice stuff to work with this season (and no denying in the first half, which was full of Vala) and also in the second half (although I think we might disagree here), and it seems he's going to be active in the next episode, so it doesn't seem like they have some desire to wallpaper him.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Well Crusade was this seasons version of a clip show. Lots of information but a slow moving and at times boring episode. I will admit it was a little better than I thought it would be but that is mainly because they have toned down Vala some.

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Crusade (919)

What an episode. From Vala's glories in the men's locker room to Sg-1 about to search for Merlin's weapon, this was phenomenal.

I loved the story on Vala and what she had to go through in the Ori galaxy to stay alive. I feel sorry for her. I think she has grown to care deeply about Tomin, and now he's about to go off and mass murder millions of innocent people, and she can't do anything to stop him. The dream sequence was very creepy. That flaming face (which was very well-done) gave me shivers up and down my spine. I also loved it when she asked them if they had heard of anyone else ever having a baby without the "usual bits." Carter, as a Roman Catholic, naturally thinking Mary, Mitchell chiming in about it happening once before and the Teal'c answered with what he thought was on their minds. Darth Vader. Sometimes I forget that he likes Star Was. Was surprised at Mitchell's answer. Also kinda freaked out, 'cause I did the same thing he did. Researched some Arthurian legend, particularly Merlin, after SG-1 got into it.

Michael Shanks was very good as Vala (the little bits we got to see of him), but I wish that they had let him play Vala a little bit more. I also liked the sub-plot with the Russians nearly reclaiming their Stargate. For a while there I was worried.

The Ori ships are actually interesting. In the shape of the symbol of Origin, I think they are the most unique ships I've seen in a long time. The weapons of the Ori are probably going to be very tough to beat.

A truly outstanding episode that has ended with all of Earth's allies searching the entire galaxy for one thing and Sg-1 searching for the one weapon that could prove once and for all that the Ori are not true gods, I wish my VCR had been working. I give this a fully deserved 5/5 stars. But next week is the season finale? The torture!
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Except for the towel scene this was the most boring episode I have seen yet. Yak Yak Yak. Do we need everything explained? I could have done w/out all the yakking and had them go on to the planet. The most boring of the season for me. And I like Claudia. Just too much talking. I don't need to have everything explained to me. I was like Mitchell. Skip on to the necessary stuff.
    Sybil

Quote Originally Posted by shester
    Except for the towel scene this was the most boring episode I have seen yet. Yak Yak Yak. Do we need everything explained? I could have done w/out all the yakking and had them go on to the planet. The most boring of the season for me. And I like Claudia. Just too much talking. I don't need to have everything explained to me. I was like Mitchell. Skip on to the necessary stuff.
    Sybil
    You're extremely unfair here, but of course I respect your opinion. But after what Vala was through in the Ori galaxy (and don't forget it was SG-1's fault, they really should have listened to Vala in Beachhead), she deserved her own story. An extensive one. Just like this. THANK YOU CLAUDIA, THANK YOU ROBERT C. COOPER!!!

What Vala has been through has nothing to do with whether the episode was boring or not, and expressing the opinion that it was boring has nothing to do with fairness.

Personally, I thought it was fairly boring. Listening to Vala tell a story for an hour about the Ori in a peasant village is not the most exciting thing in the world. THere had to have been better ways to do this, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Mostly, I just wanted less talking and more showing.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan
    The writers said they loved Vala, so I am pretty sure we will get a few of these jokes/sexjokes in every episode in season 10 as well.
    yes, lord forbid we don't cater to the lowest common denominator at every opportunity

The Pantsinator
    (Moderator Emeritus)

So what did I think of 219.... I enjoyed it alot

I figure if I am laughing within the first 3 minutes than I am going to have a good time with the episode and I really really did.

I personally am thrilled to have Vala back on the show and I liked how they kept some of her *saucy* side but toned it down a bit...just what is needed to keep her in the long term. Fun but serious when needed. CB excellent job!!

If a show HAS to do a flashback thingy this is much more how I prefer it...I do not like having the words *8 Hours ago* roll across the bottom of my screen. While it is basically the same it is not as easy to suspend disbelief in that kind of timeline....for me it is easier to have the character tell the story and see it unfold

Good background on the build-up of the Ori forces so next week looks to be a good one

The Russian/Chinese story line had all the makings of a really good tense situation...but this is where I thought the ball dropped. I did like Landry and his in your face moment with the Russian Col. in the Gate room. But I felt that so much MORE could have come from that but it was cleared up lickty spilt in the end...*sigh*

I am not real keen on the Ori immaculate Baby conception storyline...reminds me to much of BSG Cylon Baby story line. But I guess the writers *homage* writing style is theirs to use *shrug*

Overall I enjoyed the episode BECAUSE of Vala and her interaction with the team. I enjoyed the interplay within the team...some of the subtle back history references and I happen to like that Mitchell is true to his use of Grandma quotes.

and last but not least I read a post that made me LMAO...Cam in a towel...YUP made the whole episode worth watching (wink)
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Have we already returned the stargates from Off the Grid? During the entire Russian subplot, I kept thinking we would just let them have their gate, and set up a new gate with a DHD. Ours would of course have priority with the DHD. We'd keep a gate and the 304.
    SQUEE like no one's listening.

I enjoyed this episode very much. I wished we had gotten more of Daniel acting like Vala. I'm sure TPTB didn't want to turn it into the comedy hour.

SG-1 didn't seem very sympathetic to Vala's plight. She is pregnant because the Ori "gifted" her with a child. Hell, I'd be scared, too. She had to endure three days of being chained up with no food or water. No one seemed to care. I think if she had been telling this to Daniel he'd have been more sympathetic.

We didn't get any reaction from Daniel about Vala "borrowing" his body. I thought we'd get something. Anything. I know they've got a mission to prepare for and more pressing concerns right now, but Daniel could have said something.

Major

Default Re: Crusade (919) -- Fair-to-middlin'

CJ's line-reading of "Darth Vader" was the absolute high-point. Teal'c said it as if he were on a gameshow! Heh.

Oh, wait, no. Sam's breakfast reaction was equally swell.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzyk
    Did not miss the long look between CB and BB--as if to say "together again" ugggg.
    Heh. Definitely excessive. Is that what people mean by 'smarm'?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoser
    They are even recycling names - Tomin. It is the same as the boy whom Teal'c befriended in 'The Learning Curve'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerhost
    So what? How many people you know have the same first name as you?
    That sounded overly defensive. IIRC RCC's unimaginativeness when coming up with character names is recognised enough to be a friendly joke amongst the writing staff. In a show where a significant majority of guest characters are known only by their first names, those names ought to be unique.

Quote Originally Posted by shester
    The most boring of the season for me.
    For me, that place is still held by all of the first five eps. I enjoyed this ep fairly well, despite its rather obvious goal of making Vala 'sympathetic' (aww), and although I don't imagine I'd ever want or even need to seek it out again.

Scratch that: I will be looking for good screencaps of two-shots of Carter & Teal'c so I can make icons.

Basically, it took an hour to learn that: 1) Vala was impregnated by Dahak and 2) the Ori have a whole lot of ships and many, many foot soldiers. In the present day, the U.S. gave Russia one of those take-a-long-time-to-manufacture yet ready-right-when-we-need-them spacecraft. *gack* In the end, I found it rather too prosaic for a 19th episode. If this is what TPTB have to do in order to have a bang-up season-ender, I'd rather they cut down the number of explosions planned for said ep.

By the way, I thought Mitchell's Guh-ran-maw was an evangelical Christian. Was her remark about confession, then, supposed to be ironic or sarcastic or something?

PS
    • Immaculate Conception = Mary was born free of sin
    • Virgin Birth = Woman gets pregnant without doing the deed
    Last edited by DEM; March 4th, 2006 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Except they could just as easily have had him in the beginning scene with Mitchell for the joke and to establish that she was in Daniel, and then not show any of him until the end when she was gone and Daniel was back. Or, they could have written some other way for Vala to communicate what happened without making her inhabit Daniel's body and he could have just been with the rest of SG1. Even if they were making it a showcase for CB (and this episode was 99% Vala), I can't see why they would want to wallpaper MS more than the other actors, who weren't exactly taking up gobs of screentime themselves. MS has gotten some nice stuff to work with this season (and no denying in the first half, which was full of Vala) and also in the second half (although I think we might disagree here), and it seems he's going to be active in the next episode, so it doesn't seem like they have some desire to wallpaper him.
    I don't think it's a desire to wallpaper MS specifically. I just think the number one priority for tptb now is Vala, and they don't care who they wallpaper to give her a great chunk of screentime. Even Mitchell, their brand new lead, was wallpapered in favor of Vala in the beginning of the season. (That's part of the reason, I think, that the Mitchell character doesn't work for so many people. Part of how uneven his characterization has been.) This episode did little to make me believe season 10 is going to be anything less than the Vala show.

As you said, they could have written this episode a lot of different ways that didn't include makign Daniel all but invisible, and making the rest of SG1 nothing but a Greek Chorus that sat on their butts the entire episode. We've had single-character focused episodes in the past, but even then the story involved the others, and their actions and reactions vis-a-vis that character and what they're going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Formerhost
    You're extremely unfair here, but of course I respect your opinion. But after what Vala was through in the Ori galaxy (and don't forget it was SG-1's fault, they really should have listened to Vala in Beachhead), she deserved her own story. An extensive one. Just like this. THANK YOU CLAUDIA, THANK YOU ROBERT C. COOPER!!!
    I don't know if any fictional character "deserves" a storyline for their suffering. That seems to be mixing real life (storylines are given to actors, and CB didn't get shipped to the Ori galaxy) and fiction. I'm sure when weighing up the scales of justice and finding something to make up for her time there, no one in the Stargate universe would be thinking of storylines. Now, Vala deserved to be listened to, but as for the storyline, they could have given her one, but made it more show and not tell. Which would have accomplished the same thing.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Does anyone know a link to the preview for Camelot ?

Quote Originally Posted by DEM
    Scratch that: I will be looking for good screencaps of two-shots of Carter & Teal'c so I can make icons.

Basically, it took an hour to learn that: 1) Vala was impregnated by Dahak and 2) the Ori have a whole lot of ships and many, many foot soldiers. In the present day, the U.S. gave Russia one of those take-a-long-time-to-manufacture yet ready-right-when-we-need-them spacecraft. *gack* In the end, I found it rather too prosaic for a 19th episode. If this is what TPTB have to do in order to have a bang-up season-ender, I'd rather they cut down the number of explosions planned for said ep.

By the way, I thought Mitchell's Guh-ran-maw was an evangelical Christian. Was her remark about confession, then, supposed to be ironic or sarcastic or something?

PS
    • Immaculate Conception = Mary was born free of sin
    • Virgin Birth = Woman gets pregnant without doing the deed
    I would have greened you for this post, but I guess I love you too much already. ;-)

I'd love to see those icons when you've finished with them.

You know, I'm glad someone else didn't get the grandma thing either. I just didn't see what it had to do with Vala's reference to the Ori village having more sin than we'd previously thought. It was jarring.

Also, speaking of the Ori village-do they all look identical? And Vala's husband has the exact same decorative scheme in his bedroom as Salis and...oh, I forget his name.

Finally, was I the only one to see Michael Ironside's character as the leader of the resistance coming a mile away?

Quote Originally Posted by metatron
    Does anyone know a link to the preview for Camelot ?
    http://www.sg1archive.com/s9.shtml

scroll to the bottom of the page. But you need Quick Time or Quick Time Alternative to watch it, as it is .mov file.

Chief Master Sergeant Dannygirl's Avatar

Well, I gotta say that I haven't been this excited to see the season finale since season 7. I thought this was an awesome precursor to the final epi. As for Vala, sometimes she drove me crazy at the beginning of this season, but I thought she was excellent in this epi. Not overly sarcastic as we're use to seeing her, though I think that fits given she's "undercover" in enemy hands. Sarcasm wouldn't be wise. I'm glad they focused on her story in this given she is in enemy territory. We've known she'd be coming back so the big question would be what's been going on with her there. I think they answered that well enough. Not to mention that the story wasn't just about her, but about the people there and what the Ori were up to and just how willing they were to murder people for the sake of their "Gods".

Very clever of her to come up with the excuse she did while keeping an innocent expression at the end with her husband aiming a weapon at her. The beginning was classic Vala, not to mention Daniel's expression in the mirror in front of Mitch. Couldn't stop laughing at that. Very looking forward to the finale and no doubt next season. 5/5
    Last edited by Dannygirl; March 4th, 2006 at 09:58 AM.
    I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
    - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't think it's a desire to wallpaper MS specifically. I just think the number one priority for tptb now is Vala, and they don't care who they wallpaper to give her a great chunk of screentime. Even Mitchell, their brand new lead, was wallpapered in favor of Vala in the beginning of the season. (That's part of the reason, I think, that the Mitchell character doesn't work for so many people. Part of how uneven his characterization has been.) This episode did little to make me believe season 10 is going to be anything less than the Vala show.

As you said, they could have written this episode a lot of different ways that didn't include makign Daniel all but invisible, and making the rest of SG1 nothing but a Greek Chorus that sat on their butts the entire episode. We've had single-character focused episodes in the past, but even then the story involved the others, and their actions and reactions vis-a-vis that character and what they're going through.
    When somebody is credited as SPECIAL GUEST STAR, that means that this person is actually sort of the lead in these episodes.

Finally, was I the only one to see Michael Ironside's character as the leader of the resistance coming a mile away?
    Not at all. Okay, I didn't know he was the leader, but I could tell he was part of the resistance. Somehow that was incredibly obvious. Now that he's dead, I wonder if and how Vala will communicate with his connections for further planning and intel.
    SQUEE like no one's listening.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast