Arthur's Mantle (918)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a Jekyll & Hyde episode for me.

I love the story about Merlin's device and having them 'out of phase'. I sleep (or just fast-forward) through the Sodan story.

Something that really bugs me in these last few seasons of the show is how any scientist that isn't Sam (Dr Lee, Felger, Chloe, Rothman, etc) is portrayed as a bumbling idiot. In this ep, it was Dr Lee, who first came up with the 'miniaturization' theory, then almost depleted all of the power in Merlin's device which could have stranded Sam & Cam out of phase indefinitely. Also, Walter and the other technician in the control room couldn't figure out how to clean up the message from the Sodan when they were calling for help.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      So, so far we've had, plagues, genetically created addictive corn, bugs and zombie killers! The Ori are pretty inventive with finding ways to kill non believers!
      The Corn was the Lucian Alliance..

Something that really bugs me in these last few seasons of the show is how any scientist that isn't Sam (Dr Lee, Felger, Chloe, Rothman, etc) is portrayed as a bumbling idiot. In this ep, it was Dr Lee, who first came up with the 'miniaturization' theory, then almost depleted all of the power in Merlin's device which could have stranded Sam & Cam out of phase indefinitely. Also, Walter and the other technician in the control room couldn't figure out how to clean up the message from the Sodan when they were calling for help.
      That seems to be a trend in most shows.. Any scientist NOT in the main lineup, is obviously a bumbling idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        That seems to be a trend in most shows.. Any scientist NOT in the main lineup, is obviously a bumbling idiot.
        Makes you wonder how Earth survived with Carter and McKay both at Atlantis...
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          lol that's true.

yeah, that is something that always bothered me. clearly anyone working at the sgc is at the top of the field. at least they do fix this in sgu, all the scientists are confident at what they do. sure rush and eli are smarter, but their isn't as much as a gap, if there is one at all.
          sigpic

Comment

It happened because the writers considered humor more important than intelligence or competence. They did it with Jack first, and when that went over well with the fans, it spread to other characters.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Welll by that time we had no real threats in the MW to worry about@!

Comment

Just rewatched this ep. I think Dr Lee was hysterical with his trying to find Carter with the grid thing. this would have been a great episode for Felger
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

What ever happened to him and Combs??

Comment

Didn't anybody think to aim for Volnek's head? It's the brain, stupid. Whenever somebody won't die (or stay dead), you always go for the brain.

Comment

Atlantis definitely survived because Carter was there to clean up McKay's mess.
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                        It happened because the writers considered humor more important than intelligence or competence. They did it with Jack first, and when that went over well with the fans, it spread to other characters.

Seaboe
                        It's not fair to judge it that way - funny elements belong to SG1 and humour and competence must not necessarily exclude each other. IMO the writers did great jobs and I hope I'm not all alone here.
                        CARPE DIEM
                        ANJA

Comment

It is perfectly fair to judge it that way--it's my judgment and my opinion. You need not agree.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

This episode combines comedy with tragedy, and while you might think that doesn't work very well, it does here. The out-of-phase situation makes room for plenty of comedy, while Teal'c finds himself in a dire situation.

They all have something to do, and contribute... though I'm not sure what Doctor Lee contributed, other than crazy ideas ... which at the SGC might not be as crazy but I think he absolutely missed the ball with his miniturisation. Daniel when he walks in a second time after that is funny though.

It's a solid for me.

How would you rate SG-1's "Arthur's Mantle?"

Excellent

Good
                            Fair
                            Poor
                            Terrible

*************EDIT*****************

3-episode quiz: Off The Grid, The Scourge & Arthur's Mantle

Jigsaw puzzle: Arthur's Mantle
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 17 October 2020, 03:38 AM. Reason: Adding quiz and jigsaw links...
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I always wanted to connect this transphase technology with the previous lore elements : Nox, Quatzalcoatl, Rhee'tou, Ash'rak, Hathor, Nirrti, "Sight unseen" animals. I hope they will return to it in the 4th series.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                                I always wanted to connect this transphase technology with the previous lore elements : Nox, Quatzalcoatl, Rhee'tou, Ash'rak, Hathor, Nirrti, "Sight unseen" animals. I hope they will return to it in the 4th series.
                                I do think the phasing technology has common elements, but I think as far as similarities go, Arthur's Mantle is truly closest to what happened with the Nintendo's (don't correct me, I did it on purpose ) in Quetzalcoatl's cave.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X