Arthur's Mantle (918)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keppiezbt
    wow the fact that an ascended ancient ascends then coems back to make a machine that can destory ascended beings is....just weird

i wonder how a machine like that is gonna work...be interesting to see how they write it
    yeah, it falls in with convenience

which is what you have to do when you create a super powerful unbeatable enemy...you have to then create the 'duh' way of defeating them to get yourself out of the corner you've written yourself into
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So we have another season based on the search for an ancient weapon that will destroy their enemies. This is the 3rd season finale in a row to use the same plot, and the fourth time they've used this plot in the last 3 years.

Season 7 finale was the search for the ancient weapon to destroy Anubis.
      Season 7 midseason cliffhanger was based around the Kull warriors and the search for the ancient technology needed to destroy them.
      Season 8 was the search for the ancient weapon to destroy the Replicators.
      Now we have the search for the ancient weapon to destroy the Ori.

I really think it's funny that the writers revisited the "phasing protagonist" plot again, since they poked fun the concept in the episode "Wormhole X-Treme":
      Originally posted by Wormhole X-Treme
      REESE: Uh, I'm having a little trouble with Scene 27. It says that I'm "out of phase" which means that I can pass my hand through solid matter, or I can walk through walls.

DIRECTOR: Yeah, yeah, that's right, because you're "out of phase."

MARTIN: Um, exactly.

REESE: So, how come I don't fall through the floor?

MARTIN: We're going to have to get back to you on that one.

REESE: Right.
      Volnek turning into a zombie was both hilarious and sad; now the Ori can make Kull warriors!

I thought this episode was ok. A good team episode, but it seems like the writers are falling into a rut when it comes to inventing new problems for the team to encounter.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Sadly, I did remember the whole "falling through the floor" conversation in Wormhole Excrutiating when Sam asked Mitchell to grab the coffee cup. Figured I'd get that, but not one referencing WoO.
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          yeah, it falls in with convenience

which is what you have to do when you create a super powerful unbeatable enemy...you have to then create the 'duh' way of defeating them to get yourself out of the corner you've written yourself into
          pretty much...lets create an enemy sooo powerful only ascended beings could handle it..

oo crap now how do we do let the good guys win! i know instead of havign some cool finale battle between us vs them we will create some device that conviently gets rid of them.

and to the point made we always use ancient tech now to win..yeah that is getting cheesy and convienent.

i mean they def lost their touch this season.
          come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

in many ways, the ori are like the borg

they were great enemies in small doses. but in a steady diet....well the trek folks beat the unbeatable so many times that it got old

again, this eps was enjoyable, but not becaue of the plot. the plot was paper thin. the only 'good' part for me were the character interactions

sigpic

Comment

better way to end this whole ori thing:

**continue to look for ancient tech
              we begin to find ancient tech that can destory the ori technology and give us a level playing field.
              suddenly huge battles between us and them with our asgard buddies.
              we arent getting anywhere and slowly losing
              suddenly daniels ascends...
              while there, we see oma who tells him that the ori are coming to wipe out the alterans
              she tells him that not all ascended beings are alterans and though those would be spared they decided to fight with them
              a big battle in the ascended realm is brewing
              gives daniel some info that will give them an upper hand in the upcoming big attack
              he goes what attack?
              she says u will see and descends him
              back on earth sam tells him that a huge fleet is coming to attack earth
              all ships coming to aid....asgard, gould, etc but they dont think they can win
              daniel gives them new knowledge that upgrades the ships

big battle happens during it all of a sudden ascdend beings start flying over the place...tis the ori! but ancients and friends come in and attack...cue cool visuals
              in the end we win

thats how u end this....i mean this happens over like 4-5 episodes it would build suspense more and be less of a convient way to end the ori thing
              come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Character stuff was nice. Sam/Mitchell, Daniel/Sam, Teal'c/Mitchell.

Daniel had some odd "aw, shucks, 'tweren't nothin" expressions a few times, but nothing bad. Just, unusual. But, *fangirly Daniel fan squee* Daniel figured it out!

I guess it could be saying something that Teal'c didn't hesitate to backhand Mitchell, but I figured he just figured that Mitchell knew what he was talking about, since he just appeared out of nowhere.

Nice finishing scene between them.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by keppiezbt
                  pretty much...lets create an enemy sooo powerful only ascended beings could handle it..

oo crap now how do we do let the good guys win! i know instead of havign some cool finale battle between us vs them we will create some device that conviently gets rid of them.

and to the point made we always use ancient tech now to win..yeah that is getting cheesy and convienent.

i mean they def lost their touch this season.
                  I'm not so sure. Didn't they have some handy-dandy weapon that would destroy the Replicators? Yet they still caused massive trouble for a season or two (or three--I don't quite remember). Perhaps this super-duper new weapon won't work out quite like they think. It seems that happened a couple of times with the Goau'ld, too. It could be quite interesting.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

yep. and i'm sure in s10 something will happen to render the 'destroy teh ancients' weapon impotent, just like it did with jacks gun and replicarter

sigpic

Comment

I laughed out loud when Sam and Mitchell poked each other to see if they were solid to each other -- not once but twice. LOL And then Sam and Daniel poke each other. LOL

This was another ep where they mixed a serious story with a comic story, and the results were a little better than they were for OTG. But I didn't like the way the ep ended without any acknowledgment of what the Sodan had just gone through. It ended on a comic note but I thought at some point Mitchell should be shown reacting to the deaths in the village. And do we know if Haikon actually survived or not?

Another funny part was the bodily function comment. And I also liked how both Mitchell and Sam would try to communicate with people on base but they'd exagerate or yell or something as if that would help. Loved the way Mitchell did the touchdown sign when Daniel figured otu they were still on teh base.

I'd say this was a somewhat uneven episode but it was a lot of fun.

Comment

Two thumbs down and both feet. Stupid, ridiculous episode and someone please shoot Mitchell for me. Or stuff something in his impatient, know-it-all MOUTH.

Crsytal Skull did it first and much, much better.

Started out bad: previously on... was all Mitchell.

What's with Mr Rambo Teal'c and his two handed guns lately? And that sleeveless T-shirt has gotten really really really old.

There were bits I liked-- Daniel and Sam were adorable. Liked them trying to translate the ancient, one letter at a time.

For some reason they seem to be writing Bill Lee more and more inept which sucks.

I LOATHE Mitchell calling Daniel "Jackson."

Mitchell doesn't belong on SG-1 or even in the SGC. He's a hot-headed, arrogant twit who seems to think he's God's gift to the SGC. Don't like him. Get rid of him PLEASE.

I'm tired of seeing all our allies continually killed off. Not that I cared about the Sodan since I find the Jaffa stuff BORING, but still.

Next week's preview? I'm sure we can all be forgiven for thinking they're going to be showing FARGATE next friday night.

Pfffhtttt.

I'm so hanging on to this show by a CRACKING fingernail.

Dana Jeanne
                        Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                          Two thumbs down and both feet. Stupid, ridiculous episode and someone please shoot Mitchell for me. Or stuff something in his impatient, know-it-all MOUTH.

Crsytal Skull did it first and much, much better.

Started out bad: previously on... was all Mitchell.

What's with Mr Rambo Teal'c and his two handed guns lately? And that sleeveless T-shirt has gotten really really really old.

There were bits I liked-- Daniel and Sam were adorable. Liked them trying to translate the ancient, one letter at a time.

For some reason they seem to be writing Bill Lee more and more inept which sucks.

I LOATHE Mitchell calling Daniel "Jackson."

Mitchell doesn't belong on SG-1 or even in the SGC. He's a hot-headed, arrogant twit who seems to think he's God's gift to the SGC. Don't like him. Get rid of him PLEASE.

I'm tired of seeing all our allies continually killed off. Not that I cared about the Sodan since I find the Jaffa stuff BORING, but still.

Next week's preview? I'm sure we can all be forgiven for thinking they're going to be showing FARGATE next friday night.

Pfffhtttt.

I'm so hanging on to this show by a CRACKING fingernail.

Dana Jeanne

Why bother holding on at all at that rate?
                          I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

I loved it. It was teriffic from start to finish. From Mitchell's hankering for hash browns, to the explanation of alternate dimensions vs. alternate realities to Daniel getting stuck also to the final explosion.

I loved the parts where Daniel was working with Carter to tediously translate the Ancient writing one word at a time, especially when he was scanning with his finger and she wasn't even paying attention.

I thought the part with Mierden (Merlin) was rather eye-opening also. A weapon that can actually harm Ascended beings? That's big!

The part with the Sodan was creepy. From the second I saw the guy and heard him growling while in cloaked mode, I immediately thought "Telchak device". The fact that Priors now also have the ability to turn people into drooling zombies is something that I thought they couldn't make work. Well, they made it work!

I give this episode a 5 out of 5 stars. Perfectly setting up for the season finale. Can't wait until next week!
                            Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Loved this episod!! 5 stars! It was one of those episodes I found myself laughing really hard. Especially the poking scenes haha.

The Teal'c stuff was awesome too and he usually bores me, but it went together well and he was kicking mikta.

Comment

I posted some screen shots from the preview at the end in this post if anybody is interested.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=24761

Comment

Working...
                                X