Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Arthur's Mantle (918)

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver

and we end with a nice teal'c/cam bonding moment and the promise that we have our deus ex machina to fix the baddies
    Good!

homages included crystal skull, WoO and rod's food obsession
    Okay, Crystal Skull obvious. What homage to WoO, who's Rod, and what food obsession? Mitchell wanting breakfast? But, who's Rod?
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Second Lieutenant

oo and another thing, personally i would like to have seen a war betweent the ascended beings

i thin kthat would have been something much much cooler. something like they had in babylon 5 between the vorlons and the shadows.

a weapon is way to convient and makes the end way to aburpt
    come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by MarshAngel
    Deux ex Machina indeed. The convenience factor is extremely high.
    It's a good thing I'm easily amused.
    oh yeah. convenience is the name of the game.

too many things fell into place too neatly

it was almsot like it hit them 'oh crud, the season is over in 2 more eps and we don't have anything in place to set things up for the finale...ok, let's cram all the playing pieces in one episode, no one will ever notice'

it was fun to watch...it just didn't strain your comprehension too much.

lately, stargate is less 'how are they going to get out of this' and more 'ok, how soon will they put the candlestick in the parlor so captain mustard can solve the problem'

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Good!

Okay, Crystal Skull obvious. What homage to WoO, who's Rod, and what food obsession? Mitchell wanting breakfast? But, who's Rod?

window of opportunity in daniel having to teach someone ancient or be the translator for something he can't see

and rod is rodney mckay, a character on atlantis who's obsessed with getting his three squares a day

yooo the ships are cool like the round stuff that unamed showed us last week, i hope scifi.com puts the trailer tomorrow to see it again. SO the oddyssey is gonna be there and also the korolev i believe the russian ship is going to have the prometheus design because in the trailer they show a ship just like the promethues, but it could just be an old clip from the last time the giant stargate was shown
    sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama
    http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/...y_banner_3.jpg

I enjoyed it a lot.

Great seeing a semi-follow up to the crystal skull episode and the sodan was great.

Halarious when Daniel got pushed into the other dimension along with Sam and Cam.

Great moments in this one.

3/4 stars.

I'm proud to be an American.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...daowned4gx.gif
    "...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by keppiezbt
    question: do we just now find out arthur was an ascended being? if arthur was working on this why do we need merlins notes?

and ur right they do need a plot device to kill the ori b/c really with the way they have it unless we found ancient tech to kill all ori worshippers or the ancients got involved, we basically cannot win.
    sorry, my bad, i meant merlin was the ancient

the invisible thingie is called arthur's mantle

window of opportunity in daniel having to teach someone ancient or be the translator for something he can't see

and rod is rodney mckay, a character on atlantis who's obsessed with getting his three squares a day

Thanks.

Now, I missed a few minutes after the credits, so did they say why Teal'c was on the Sodan planet in the first place? Did they get word about what happened, and he and the other SGC members went there to check it out?

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Second Lieutenant

sorry, my bad, i meant merlin was the ancient

the invisible thingie is called arthur's mantle
    wow the fact that an ascended ancient ascends then coems back to make a machine that can destory ascended beings is....just weird

i wonder how a machine like that is gonna work...be interesting to see how they write it

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

(Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Thanks.

Now, I missed a few minutes after the credits, so did they say why Teal'c was on the Sodan planet in the first place? Did they get word about what happened, and he and the other SGC members went there to check it out?
    they got a radio message calling for help

(Moderator)

wow the fact that an ascended ancient ascends then coems back to make a machine that can destory ascended beings is....just weird

i wonder how a machine like that is gonna work...be interesting to see how they write it
    yeah, it falls in with convenience

which is what you have to do when you create a super powerful unbeatable enemy...you have to then create the 'duh' way of defeating them to get yourself out of the corner you've written yourself into

So we have another season based on the search for an ancient weapon that will destroy their enemies. This is the 3rd season finale in a row to use the same plot, and the fourth time they've used this plot in the last 3 years.

Season 7 finale was the search for the ancient weapon to destroy Anubis.
    Season 7 midseason cliffhanger was based around the Kull warriors and the search for the ancient technology needed to destroy them.
    Season 8 was the search for the ancient weapon to destroy the Replicators.
    Now we have the search for the ancient weapon to destroy the Ori.

I really think it's funny that the writers revisited the "phasing protagonist" plot again, since they poked fun the concept in the episode "Wormhole X-Treme":
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormhole X-Treme
    REESE: Uh, I'm having a little trouble with Scene 27. It says that I'm "out of phase" which means that I can pass my hand through solid matter, or I can walk through walls.

DIRECTOR: Yeah, yeah, that's right, because you're "out of phase."

MARTIN: Um, exactly.

REESE: So, how come I don't fall through the floor?

MARTIN: We're going to have to get back to you on that one.

REESE: Right.
    Volnek turning into a zombie was both hilarious and sad; now the Ori can make Kull warriors!

I thought this episode was ok. A good team episode, but it seems like the writers are falling into a rut when it comes to inventing new problems for the team to encounter.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Sadly, I did remember the whole "falling through the floor" conversation in Wormhole Excrutiating when Sam asked Mitchell to grab the coffee cup. Figured I'd get that, but not one referencing WoO.

Second Lieutenant

yeah, it falls in with convenience

which is what you have to do when you create a super powerful unbeatable enemy...you have to then create the 'duh' way of defeating them to get yourself out of the corner you've written yourself into
    pretty much...lets create an enemy sooo powerful only ascended beings could handle it..

oo crap now how do we do let the good guys win! i know instead of havign some cool finale battle between us vs them we will create some device that conviently gets rid of them.

and to the point made we always use ancient tech now to win..yeah that is getting cheesy and convienent.

i mean they def lost their touch this season.

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

(Moderator)

in many ways, the ori are like the borg

they were great enemies in small doses. but in a steady diet....well the trek folks beat the unbeatable so many times that it got old

again, this eps was enjoyable, but not becaue of the plot. the plot was paper thin. the only 'good' part for me were the character interactions

Second Lieutenant

better way to end this whole ori thing:

**continue to look for ancient tech
    we begin to find ancient tech that can destory the ori technology and give us a level playing field.
    suddenly huge battles between us and them with our asgard buddies.
    we arent getting anywhere and slowly losing
    suddenly daniels ascends...
    while there, we see oma who tells him that the ori are coming to wipe out the alterans
    she tells him that not all ascended beings are alterans and though those would be spared they decided to fight with them
    a big battle in the ascended realm is brewing
    gives daniel some info that will give them an upper hand in the upcoming big attack
    he goes what attack?
    she says u will see and descends him
    back on earth sam tells him that a huge fleet is coming to attack earth
    all ships coming to aid....asgard, gould, etc but they dont think they can win
    daniel gives them new knowledge that upgrades the ships

big battle happens during it all of a sudden ascdend beings start flying over the place...tis the ori! but ancients and friends come in and attack...cue cool visuals
    in the end we win

thats how u end this....i mean this happens over like 4-5 episodes it would build suspense more and be less of a convient way to end the ori thing

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Character stuff was nice. Sam/Mitchell, Daniel/Sam, Teal'c/Mitchell.

Daniel had some odd "aw, shucks, 'tweren't nothin" expressions a few times, but nothing bad. Just, unusual. But, *fangirly Daniel fan squee* Daniel figured it out!

I guess it could be saying something that Teal'c didn't hesitate to backhand Mitchell, but I figured he just figured that Mitchell knew what he was talking about, since he just appeared out of nowhere.

Nice finishing scene between them.

Lieutenant Colonel warmbeachbrat's Avatar

pretty much...lets create an enemy sooo powerful only ascended beings could handle it..

oo crap now how do we do let the good guys win! i know instead of havign some cool finale battle between us vs them we will create some device that conviently gets rid of them.

and to the point made we always use ancient tech now to win..yeah that is getting cheesy and convienent.

i mean they def lost their touch this season.
    I'm not so sure. Didn't they have some handy-dandy weapon that would destroy the Replicators? Yet they still caused massive trouble for a season or two (or three--I don't quite remember). Perhaps this super-duper new weapon won't work out quite like they think. It seems that happened a couple of times with the Goau'ld, too. It could be quite interesting.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...or/leeanim.gif and Spudster made another neat one http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/3658/lee1ec.gif Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...ilightBark.gif

(Moderator)

yep. and i'm sure in s10 something will happen to render the 'destroy teh ancients' weapon impotent, just like it did with jacks gun and replicarter

I laughed out loud when Sam and Mitchell poked each other to see if they were solid to each other -- not once but twice. LOL And then Sam and Daniel poke each other. LOL

This was another ep where they mixed a serious story with a comic story, and the results were a little better than they were for OTG. But I didn't like the way the ep ended without any acknowledgment of what the Sodan had just gone through. It ended on a comic note but I thought at some point Mitchell should be shown reacting to the deaths in the village. And do we know if Haikon actually survived or not?

Another funny part was the bodily function comment. And I also liked how both Mitchell and Sam would try to communicate with people on base but they'd exagerate or yell or something as if that would help. Loved the way Mitchell did the touchdown sign when Daniel figured otu they were still on teh base.

I'd say this was a somewhat uneven episode but it was a lot of fun.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast