Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021
    Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

Default Re: Arthur's Mantle (918)

An okay ep. I liked the interaction through Merlin's device.

That's the Sodan wiped out. I wonder if Haikon survived in the end? More importantly where was Jolan? Did Volnek kill him? Speaking of Volnek he looked creepy.

Better not forget the weapon that can defeat ascended beings.

Hmmmm...

1. Crystal Skull revisited. Meh.

2. My first thought on the Volnek thing was "Broca Divide" especially the foam coming out of his mouth.

3. Is Mitchell that much worse than Sheppard when it comes to insane stunts?

4. General I shrunk the Colonels! Er...no Bill!

I kind of like how this episode starts an arc that leads into the S9 finale. It brings a little more serial depth then is otherwise missing from SG-1. The story of this episode is quite entertaining as well. Alternate dimensions hasn't been seen in 6 years so it was interesting to revisit this kind of storyline again. Some might call it a Crystal Skull rehash but I look at the alternate dimensions at how often time travel is used. But its more of what happens in the alternate dimensions that interests me. I found myself interested in the Merlin device and the revelation of the Sangrail and its use in fighting the Ori. I have to wonder the point of basically killing the Sodon. They had such a wealth of a different Jaffa mentality it seemed premature to kill them all off as an Ori plot
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Major General

I think the whole point to the Sodan being killed off, is
    "LOOK AT US, we are mighty.. IRKKKKK The ori kill us easily"

Intriguing device that hides things in different dimensions. I like the out of phase idea, always fun to watch the frustration of not being seen and not able to do anything. The Ancient 'keyboard' was pretty cool.

Another weird way the Ori destroy non believers, turning one of the Sodan into a zombie who then kills all his fellow Sodan.

So, so far we've had, plagues, genetically created addictive corn, bugs and zombie killers! The Ori are pretty inventive with finding ways to kill non believers!

Raticate

This is a Jekyll & Hyde episode for me.

I love the story about Merlin's device and having them 'out of phase'. I sleep (or just fast-forward) through the Sodan story.

Something that really bugs me in these last few seasons of the show is how any scientist that isn't Sam (Dr Lee, Felger, Chloe, Rothman, etc) is portrayed as a bumbling idiot. In this ep, it was Dr Lee, who first came up with the 'miniaturization' theory, then almost depleted all of the power in Merlin's device which could have stranded Sam & Cam out of phase indefinitely. Also, Walter and the other technician in the control room couldn't figure out how to clean up the message from the Sodan when they were calling for help.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    So, so far we've had, plagues, genetically created addictive corn, bugs and zombie killers! The Ori are pretty inventive with finding ways to kill non believers!
    The Corn was the Lucian Alliance..

Something that really bugs me in these last few seasons of the show is how any scientist that isn't Sam (Dr Lee, Felger, Chloe, Rothman, etc) is portrayed as a bumbling idiot. In this ep, it was Dr Lee, who first came up with the 'miniaturization' theory, then almost depleted all of the power in Merlin's device which could have stranded Sam & Cam out of phase indefinitely. Also, Walter and the other technician in the control room couldn't figure out how to clean up the message from the Sodan when they were calling for help.
    That seems to be a trend in most shows.. Any scientist NOT in the main lineup, is obviously a bumbling idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That seems to be a trend in most shows.. Any scientist NOT in the main lineup, is obviously a bumbling idiot.
    Makes you wonder how Earth survived with Carter and McKay both at Atlantis...
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    lol that's true.

yeah, that is something that always bothered me. clearly anyone working at the sgc is at the top of the field. at least they do fix this in sgu, all the scientists are confident at what they do. sure rush and eli are smarter, but their isn't as much as a gap, if there is one at all.

Major

It happened because the writers considered humor more important than intelligence or competence. They did it with Jack first, and when that went over well with the fans, it spread to other characters.

Seaboe

Major General

Welll by that time we had no real threats in the MW to worry [email protected]!

Just rewatched this ep. I think Dr Lee was hysterical with his trying to find Carter with the grid thing. this would have been a great episode for Felger
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter

Major General

What ever happened to him and Combs??

Didn't anybody think to aim for Volnek's head? It's the brain, stupid. Whenever somebody won't die (or stay dead), you always go for the brain.

Atlantis definitely survived because Carter was there to clean up McKay's mess.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    It happened because the writers considered humor more important than intelligence or competence. They did it with Jack first, and when that went over well with the fans, it spread to other characters.

Seaboe
    It's not fair to judge it that way - funny elements belong to SG1 and humour and competence must not necessarily exclude each other. IMO the writers did great jobs and I hope I'm not all alone here.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Major

It is perfectly fair to judge it that way--it's my judgment and my opinion. You need not agree.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

This episode combines comedy with tragedy, and while you might think that doesn't work very well, it does here. The out-of-phase situation makes room for plenty of comedy, while Teal'c finds himself in a dire situation.

They all have something to do, and contribute... though I'm not sure what Doctor Lee contributed, other than crazy ideas ... which at the SGC might not be as crazy but I think he absolutely missed the ball with his miniturisation. Daniel when he walks in a second time after that is funny though.

It's a solid for me.

How would you rate SG-1's "Arthur's Mantle?"

Excellent

Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

*************EDIT*****************

3-episode quiz: Off The Grid, The Scourge & Arthur's Mantle

Jigsaw puzzle: Arthur's Mantle
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; October 17th, 2020 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Adding quiz and jigsaw links...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

I always wanted to connect this transphase technology with the previous lore elements : Nox, Quatzalcoatl, Rhee'tou, Ash'rak, Hathor, Nirrti, "Sight unseen" animals. I hope they will return to it in the 4th series.

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    I always wanted to connect this transphase technology with the previous lore elements : Nox, Quatzalcoatl, Rhee'tou, Ash'rak, Hathor, Nirrti, "Sight unseen" animals. I hope they will return to it in the 4th series.
    I do think the phasing technology has common elements, but I think as far as similarities go, Arthur's Mantle is truly closest to what happened with the Nintendo's (don't correct me, I did it on purpose ) in Quetzalcoatl's cave.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021