The Scourge (917)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kelmah View Post
    Anyone wanna take a crack at translating the conversation between Daniel and the Chinese representative? I'm no expert (really), all I know is that what Mitchell says at the end is "screw you" (or somesuch).
    Honestly, the Chinese dialog was horrible. I had to replay it several times to make out what they were trying to say, and even knowing what they're supposed to be saying, I still couldn't distinguish their words.

Michael Shanks actually did a better job than Tamlyn Tomita at the Mandarin. She's barely comprehensible, while he could pass for a foreigner who can understand the written, but has had limited opportunity to actually speak it. Good enough for Daniel, for the supposed Chinese ambassador the lines made everything worse.

Personally, I liked it when the show generally had Daniel stumbling around in languages, not really understanding how they were spoken--mixing up vowels, etc. It's realistic for a linguist who studies language features more than speaking it as opposed to a polyglot who should actually be competent in conversation.

What she was probably trying to say:
    Shen Xiaoyi: ?????????(?) Ni de guoyu xuede zenmeyang? (How's your Chinese?)

But her pronunciation was off on a lot of it. ?orse, a Beijinger would not use "guoyu" for Mandarin. That's the Taiwanese term for it. A Beijing diplomat would definitely use the term "putonghua" ??? instead.

Daniel, while sounding a bit odd, was at least clearly understandable in the first line.
    Daniel Jackson:????????meiyou nide yingwen hao. (Not as good as your English.)

The next exchange is far worse. I honestly cannot understand what they are trying to say.
    It sounds like "Na ge yan gang, ditsta"
    The scripts says: It shows . You're bringing him along?
    Perhaps:???????????????? But it wouldn't sound even remotely the same.

Daniel is mostly understandable, but there's a bit that's not very clear. Probably without the context of what she had said his scripted answer doesn't make much sense.
    Daniel: ????????women haizai guanzhe ta. (We're looking after him) But the word he uses for "babysit" isn't what I'd expect--sounds more like "manage"

Mitchell gets the profanity part right (equivalent of F* you), but then adds a "da" at the end that spoiled it.

Overall, the scene failed pretty badly for anyone who speaks Chinese. Can't blame Michael Shanks, or even Tamlyn Tomita--they were trying, but it didn't work. Either the director should have made sure it was authentic sounding or it should have been written differently. (Or maybe their language consultant just wanted to be a 'yes' man and said it was good even when it wasn't.)

Comment

Thanks for this analysis - great job.
      Nevertheless to me and many, many other viewers the conversation was fun, especially Mitchell's last line.
      I liked the ep and the very creepy beetles - I like beetles!
      Carter does a great job and that little weasel man gets better and better - I could come to like him!
      CARPE DIEM
      ANJA

Comment

1) I hate television bugs -- and especially the creepy kind that eats people.
        Whenever they are used as a plot point they give me the creeps, which is the point of the story, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

...and...

2) I hate fake caves.
        The lighting with the real environment didn't match -- the transition from set to location was too different, jarring in fact. Boots on stone don't sound like boots on wood, and that's exactly what it sounded like -- like they are walking across a stage, which they actually were.

Someone probably watched The Mummy one too many times and thought it would make a great stargate episode. Throw in a few members of the IOA, some red shirts we've never seen before and voila, one of the weakest episodes of season 9 is born.

Nope, not a fan. The only reason, I remembered what this was about, was that it had bugs. I even thought one of the IOA members was gonna bite the dust. It couldn't be Chen or Woolsey, since they both appear in Atlantis so it was either France or the UK who were going to bite the dust. But nope... just the red shirts.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Scourge?"

Excellent
        Good
        Fair -- it has some funny dialogue.
        Poor
        Terrible
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I have to say that I liked this episode. It was not original, it was predictable, the IOA members were annoying but I like movies with bugs ) ok not special but it was an ok episode. Season 9 has better episodes but also worse.
          But come on, I don't like the "last second" beam that saves our team.

Comment

Originally posted by AmFor View Post
            But come on, I don't like the "last second" beam that saves our team.
            They never die so it doesn't matter if they were beamed up first or last. You just know they'll survive anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              They never die so it doesn't matter if they were beamed up first or last. You just know they'll survive anyway.
              Yes I know, I am just not a big fan of that type of escape.

Comment

Not really that different than all the times Daniel dialed the gate at the last second in the old episodes
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

It does get boring after a while...

Comment

3-episode quiz: Off The Grid, The Scourge & Arthur's Mantle

Jigsaw puzzle: The Scourge

Comment

Maybe it is a heretic idea, but Tamlyn Tamita should have moved to he Stargate : Universe instead of Wrey or they could have known each other from Washington or even to be partners. Her character was nicely establibshed here and on Stargate : Atlantis.

This episode is still one of the worst of the whole SG-1. It is definately in my negative top 5. I can't get over how they have ended this episode after a complete base have died. It is so badly written.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

9:51

I really like this episode. I also like the character of Richard Wolsey. The bugs were creepy.

Comment

Working...
                          X