No announcement yet.

The Scourge (917)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the episode. Sure it was a little bit of a rip on The Mummy but thats something that I always found good about StarGate. A bit of Tremors as well since those bugs can detect sound and combine that with the Aliens theme of growing offspring inside the body. Though it also covered in Bane.

Anyhow, I liked Woosley's development. Finally experiencing what Gate travel is like educated him to be more appreciative and respectful of that the whole StarGate teams are about and what they do.

I liked the involvement of the Chinese here. I somehow doubt they'll threaten the US and turn this into some stupid Cold War 2 scenario. What I do believe will happen is that they might prove their ability to send spies and steal technology either directly from the SGC, or have dealings with the Trust or maybe even Baal.

They want to get into space and no doubt wish to have the honor of defending Earth as well, thats the feeling I was getting from ambassador Chen. Not only that its for economic, scientific, and military purposes as well. They might want to set up colonies. But I get a feeling that somewhere along the series we might see their own BC-303s if USA give them tech. Or.... they might develop their own ships through stolen tech as well as aid from the Trust and/or Baal.
    http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
      A pretty good episode. I kept thinking 'The Mummy'.... I'm suprised that no one in the ep. mentioned how this might actually HELP the SGC's case with the international people, though. By proving how formidable the Ori's little creations are, you think they'd put more effort into defense.
      You're right! I forgot about those bugs from "The Mummy."

Comment

Originally posted by -Major Woody
        Worst episode ever.
        Uhmmm...Gemini?
        sigpic
        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
          Anyhow, I liked Woosley's development. Finally experiencing what Gate travel is like educated him to be more appreciative and respectful of that the whole StarGate teams are about and what they do.

I liked the involvement of the Chinese here. I somehow doubt they'll threaten the US and turn this into some stupid Cold War 2 scenario. What I do believe will happen is that they might prove their ability to send spies and steal technology either directly from the SGC, or have dealings with the Trust or maybe even Baal.
          I too liked Woolsey's development by the end of this ep. Truthfully though, after his mess-up in "Prototype", I would have though he would have already been less of an a**. Oh well, it just takes some people longer than others.

As for the Chinese government, I too wonder if tptb will explore this any further. Your idea about spies and stealing technology would be interesting to see. I guess we'll just have to stay tuned.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I thought this was a decent episode. Reminded me of something out of the X-Files, though. I did enjoy the chat between Mitchell and Teal'c about finding the apartment.

Comment

**** arrogant French (It's not that I have anything against the French, it's just that they've had how many revolutions? Eight? It gets old hearing about the French after a while.)
              Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

pretty good ep.

i have to say i have a HUGE, HONKIN prob with bugs. like, i kept squirming through most of the ep and watching some scenes between my fingers.

cons -

bugs.

why did sg1 decide to run to the huts that had the radio? they were doing really well, so why run now when it obviously attracts the bugs? (mitchell's idea too)

whiny IOA members.

too easy a save at the end, being beamed up on the odyssey.

pros -

whiny IOA members. (they're fun )

woolsey turning himself around and being cool.

mitchell was under control in this ep. a definite plus. (and speaking of mitchell... is he schizophrenic? really. in one ep, he's mr funny guy and wisecrack a minute. in the next, he's earnest and sincere. in last week's ep he shouldn't have even been on the team, let alone command it.) tonight's ep, he was fine.

i liked the chinese ambassador's interaction with daniel. (if it goes shippy, at least they're giving daniel a NICE and NORMAL person to be with)

nice team interaction, but... the movie night thing bothers me, because... i miss jack and don't want mitchell to be part of it. yes, i know, childish, but that's how i really feel.

saving the best for last - SAM! i loved her interactions with woolsey. she also came up with the solution and implemented it. (she's my hero ).

this ep felt more old time stargatey, except that i just wish it were sam, daniel, and teal'c (the BIG3) as the main players in this show. (it's hard to let go of something that was not only magical, but something that i loved with for 8 years. but i'm trying)

sally
                Last edited by majorsal; 17 February 2006, 08:31 PM.
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Overall... yawn.

There were some parts I liked:

Mitchell seemed less hyper and more... mature and in control, perhaps. I wasn't hoping the bugs would eat him, at any rate. This is an improvement over some past eps.... I thought the scene between him and Teal'c went pretty well.

There were some great Sam scenes; I liked the interaction between her and Woolsey.

I liked the final scene when the four of them were standing side-by-side defending the research station.

Teal'c had some great lines.

I thought the Chinese rep was interesting; I hope we see her again, and they follow up on whatever nefarious plot the Chinese government might be hatching.

It was clear that they are at least trying to establish a team feel incorporating the new characters, and it didn't seem too OTT in this one, so I give them points for effort.

There were also some things that I didn't like:

The whole bug echo-location thing... um, seems to me the last place a creature that used echo-location as a defense mechanism would want to be is underground. Wouldn't their sounding mechanisms just bounce right back at them? Gee, there's something solid all around me! What is it going to not bounce off of to give a contrast? Does sound travel really well through dirt? The whole thing seemed more than a little flakey to me after the bugs went underground. I could believe it better if they were sensitive to vibration, but I don't think echo-location is the same thing, is it? Perhaps someone with a better understanding of how echo-location works can explain in detail why this made sense.

All those bugs formed from a single bite of meatloaf? Don't most things have to eat/drink/convert energy somehow in order to grow/multiply? Seemed more like magic to me than something plausible. Plus the effects were stolen from the Mummy movie... Cool, but nothing I haven't seen before, and better done.

I don't know, if I had something crawling around under my skin, I would be screaming in pain in horror rather than trying to scratch it like it was some pesky mosquito.

Weren't we just told that SG-1 have little locator beacons that the Odyssey could have searched for instead of life signs? Gosh, if the locator beacons were associated with life signs standing in a cave a ways away from all the other clusters of life signs, you'd think they might have considered the fact that SG-1 was still alive. But I guess the locator beacons are going to be like numerous other cheap plot devices that will come and go and be used or not used at the writers' whims.

Did they HAVE to make it the woman who fell down and hurt her ankle at the end in order to slow them down and increase the dramatic tension? How cliche' is that? Or was it supposed to be a bonding moment between her and Daniel? Well, it still made me roll my eyes.

Asgard beaming technology to the last-second rescue... AGAIN. C'mon, this is getting really boring and predictable.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

I thought the Chinese rep was interesting; I hope we see her again, and they follow up on whatever nefarious plot the Chinese government might be hatching.

you know what came to mind? daniel's future.

the chinese rep was a nice woman, and she was genuinely pleased that daniel said he'd have joined her government stargate program if it had been offered to him from the start.

i didn't get any hinky vibes from her, more like being tired of the US's refusal to share tech and knowledge. but i felt her and daniel 'connected', which i find interesting IF this is daniel's future.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

If you knew that Mitchell getting eaten by the bugs would guarantee Jack returning in his spot, would you wish that upon him? Something I just thought of, and sadly, yes I would wish it.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        you know what came to mind? daniel's future.

the chinese rep was a nice woman, and she was genuinely pleased that daniel said he'd have joined her government stargate program if it had been offered to him from the start.

i didn't get any hinky vibes from her, more like being tired of the US's refusal to share tech and knowledge. but i felt her and daniel 'connected', which i find interesting IF this is daniel's future.

sally
                        I'm not sure we should read too much into Daniel's interactions with the Chinese delegate. He's usually the member of SG-1 who gets along with the foreign delegates, because he's not military and, in a perfect world, would prefer the Stargate be used only for exploration and interacting with new cultures. It's also quite true that he would have gone through the Stargate no matter who had it, since he had staked his academic reputation on the idea that ancient Egypt documented an alien culture. I saw those conversations as getting back to the "old" Daniel, expressing his hopes for what the Stargate program could be, were it not for all the military threats that exist out there in the galaxy.

Also, great to see Woolsey coming around to a better appreciation of SG-1. It seems like a natural evolution of his character, since he seems to possess a strong sense of fairness, despite his political nature.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMongol
                          If you knew that Mitchell getting eaten by the bugs would guarantee Jack returning in his spot, would you wish that upon him? Something I just thought of, and sadly, yes I would wish it.
                          well, maybe just eat a foot.

BUT, sg1 can consist of just sam, daniel, and teal'c (the BIG3) now. jack can return for his honeymoon with sam

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DrMongol
                            Yup, me too, or Jonas or Colonel Reynolds, or anyone else for that matter but I would prefer just the BIG 3 at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              well, maybe just eat a foot.

BUT, sg1 can consist of just sam, daniel, and teal'c (the BIG3) now. jack can return for his honeymoon with sam

sally
                              No, IF mitchell had gotten eaten, then Jack would have returned as the rightful leader of SG1. I'm just asking, not like it would have really happened though.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

The only thing I didn't like was the re-use of the cave from the episode Runner and Conversion in Atlantis.

It wasn't terrible yet it wasn't the best.

3 out of 5 stars.

All I can say is there are hell of a lot of caves at everyones disposal in the galaxies.
                                I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Working...
                                X