No announcement yet.

Ethon (915)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! This was a great, intense episode. It's about time we had a good episode after having downers like Collateral Damage and Stronghold. Those episodes ruined Mitchell for me and it made me not care for him in this episode. Other than that...wow!

Man, I had tears in my eyes when Pendergast wouldn't leave the ship, I knew he would be the Captain to go down with his ship. I found the Air Force calling General Quarters quite funny though (I'm Navy). But really, it was definately intense. Daniel in the cell hanging his head...man, I felt for him. He had no idea Sam and Teal'c were alive. When Sam came in the Ministers war room and Teal'c took her by the arms....I had to gulp. The hug btwn Mitchell and her, I didn't feel anything since I don't have anything invested in him. But Sam and Daniel exchanging they were glad to hear each others voices was great. I really felt strong team feelings there.

I can't believe that they nuked each other in the end. I love Daniel, but he has to feel guilty to a degree. He is the one who pretty much conviced them to go to the planet. (I'm glad it wasn't Sam because she would have been persecuted by now...lol).

As for the beers...yeah, I had to take a double take. That scene really made me mad. That was so unsat in a secure facility like that. Especially a senior officer....he just went another notch down. I kept hoping Daniel wouldn't drink it. If an enlisted would have been caught with the beer, it would have been his career. Alcohol is a serious offense in the military. You can drink off duty, but not at place of duty.

This was definately a great episode though. I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by nccjones; 03 February 2006, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I liked Icon better because it felt more character driven. Plus there was more emotion. I might rewatch since my first impression that they cut to a lot of scenes down on the planet without Daniel even being in them was wrong. But, my initial impression was that it was more Jared doing the talking than Daniel. And, I was fine with that in Stronghold, because Bra'tac would know more, and Daniel still was a shown active part of his scenes there. The briefing Landry scene, for one. If I felt a balance in the scenes with Daniel and Jared -Jared having stuff to say, because he knew the man he was talking to, an the situation between the two enemies, and Daniel having more to say (shown on screen) because he knows more about those blasted Ori, it would have felt better for me.

I'm fine if some bureaucrat decides to destroy every spaceship, as long as they do it off screen and only reference it in one line after the fact.

If it's a choice between protocol and a nice, understanding moment between two characters, I'll take the understanding moment.
      Last edited by Dani347; 03 February 2006, 06:53 PM.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

holy crap, they destroyed prometheus, those *******s.

Still, this was a great episode im my opinion.

Comment

a damn good episode! the show rocks my socks.......... just for the sock comment, im never posting again!

Comment

Originally posted by gatewonderer114
            holy crap, they destroyed prometheus, those *******s.

Still, this was a great episode im my opinion.
            Oh my god, you, killed Prometheus!

You ********!

sorry...had a kenny moment there
            sigpic
            Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
            "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Other than the promethius getting blown up I liked this episode. Did anyone else not really care that those people blew themselves up after they killed several Airforce officers, and blew up my favorite Earth ship. I was hoping they'd bring in a mother ship or something and toast those idiots.

Comment

I felt somewhat content when the Rand president finally got his at the end. He was, after all, the one who ordered them to keep firing on Prommie.

Comment

I was impressed with this episode.

My pro's:

-Action. Space battles rock for me, esp when done well. The sfx were hot. Liked seeing Cam back in the pilot's seat. Plan to put fighters between ship and weapon added more tension. Destruction of Promethues, losing the Captain (well acted death scene, btw) and loss of crew, well played. Liked the tactic of the EM pulse, and how it was brought up as one of the things Sam was working on at Area 51. Cam understands what Sam's saying-more evident.

-Sam gets to do her science thing, almost made me understand the Ori gizmo. Her explanation of the weapon's low-tech development was a big help and passed on more Ori strategy intel. Loving Sam in black (deja vu!)

-Shared command nod! Loved that neither Cam nor Sam would sit in the "Big Chair." Nice touch, having Cam debate with himself whether to sit there or not, and deciding not. Hmmm. Why does Sam smile like that when Cam nixes the chair? Hmm-hmm.

-More or less a team ep, altho Teal'c had minor input here. Daniel's sabotaged diplomacy was nicely handled. That Daniel still tried to set the warring factions on a peaceful course was so Daniel.

-A bit of suspense with the representative from Caledonia, Cain: I wondered if he was an Ori spy. My bad. Poor guy was just desperate.

My con's (quibbles):

-Attack plan should have been followed, esp when they saw that the weapon now had defensive capabilities; or if not willing to leave Daniel, at least institute evasive manuevers as the weapon was repositioning itself. Sat like deer in a headlight.

-IMO, they should have negotiated to destroy the weapon, period. It was built by the Ori and shouldn't be left to fighting factions; just another bone to fight over eventually.

Just sayin', I give this 4/5 stars/astericks, etc. One nicely done dramatic episode, IMO.
                  MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                  sigpic
                  Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

good but not great. Good because I really feel they could have used Daniel and Teal'c better and the fact that they didn't made the eppy feel off to me. Some good action with the first and second hits on the ship and with it exploding at the end. Glad that rat president got his in the end. Sorry but BB is too wooden in his approach and I can't buy into him or his character as part of the team. I said at the hug "Teal'c better hug her too" but nope and I almost screamed when he didn't - it should have been the other way around especially since we know Teal'c hugs cuz he hugged Janet in RE and it should have been the TEAM at the end - TEAM bonding. We should have seen a Daniel, Carter, Teal'c reunion - another lost opportunity. Pendergast was excellent and that is what a real hero is - someone who puts the SAFETY of his TEAM first - not a schmo running off - oh forget it . . . . Daniel was okay but I felt they could have done better by him, once again he seemed minimized for the guest star of the week - so much of what Jared said and did should really have gone to Daniel - but that's just me and piss poor writing, IMO. Liked the exchange between Daniel and Carter on the radio, at least this eppy showed that the big 3 actually still care about each other. Also Teal'c once again with little to do - I did like the way he reacted to seeing Carter - good emoting but he should have been the one to hug her (I have nothing invested in Mitchell and do not care about his character so I do not want to see him get the hug instead of Teal'c). Teal'c has been first chair in the 302 before - there were 5 302s in the squadron why didn't he get his own - he should have. I would rather see him flying a 302 then playing back seat to Mitchell - but hey that's just me and again piss poor writing, imo, minimizing the strengths of the original characters in favor of the new boy. What good was it having those 2 together when Teal'c had nothing to do - let him fly a damm plane! We know he can!! Finally, they really have devolved into not showing enough - one minute Daniel and Jared are in the commissary the next minute in jail and the rest of them are on the Prometheus. Funny how now they have resorted to not even showing anyone getting ready to go through the Gate and at least getting a glimpse of the Gate as they go - now we just jump from commissary to planet, and jail cell no less - how did that happen? Alas one of the symptoms of the disease that is killing this show, imo. Can't say I'm sorry to see the Prometheus go -- maybe now we will actually get to see the Gate, in action, more often. Next week they are on another planet so I have my fingers crossed that we get to see the Gate in action instead of ok now we're on earth and whoops now we are on the planet.

Comment

I liked it, but I want to know what happened to the weapon? I think it must have been destroyed somehow, because otherwise the Daedalus would have picked it up

Comment

I did like Mitchell debating whether or not to sit in Landry's chair.

Rule one. Do not make reference to the possibility of a tortured Daniel and not show even a glimpse of a little knocking around.

I didn't feel the sense of the others being torn or finding it difficult to decide not to ask for Daniel's return. Teal'c's response was said in an especially cold manner, to me.

binkpmmc
                        so much of what Jared said and did should really have gone to Daniel
                        So, I don't have to sing "The cheese stands alone," about that opinion anymore. No guest star should have more to do or more emphasis than the main characters. Especially in the same scenes.Important recurring characters such as Bra'tac being the exception, and still shouldn't overwhelm things.
                        Last edited by Dani347; 03 February 2006, 07:34 PM.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Well, I was happy with this one. It's good to see some on-screen consequences from going up against the Ori. I know Earth's been on the losing end quite a bit this year, but it hasn't had as much impact as this ep did.

I haven't been thrilled with the Ori themelves since the Fourth Horseman reveal, but I do think this idea of them working through proxies who are legitimately fervent believers has some promise.

Mitchell seemed a bit shaken by the idea that their hesitation is what allowed the satellite to defend itself. I wonder if we're seeing another reason for him to take an aggressive approach and ask questions later.

I appreciate that Daniel's always going to be looking for peaceful settlements, but the fact that he wound up in a jail cell should kind of been a hint about Rand's tendency to negotiate under false pretenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanten
                            I felt somewhat content when the Rand president finally got his at the end. He was, after all, the one who ordered them to keep firing on Prommie.
                            I totally agree. That a-hole got what he had coming to him. This was a great ep, in my opinion. A very well-done follow-up to last season's "Icon". It was a good story with some great visuals, and of course Daniel Jackson at his best- always the diplomat. Losing Prometheus was tragic, even though I knew it was coming. You just don't feel the true impact until it actually happens though, you know? Pendergast went down with his ship, and was a hero until the end. I salute him. This ep gets a 4/5 in my books.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Excellent episode! Still trying to digest so can't comment on specifics yet, but it was true Stargate. (And comparing it to that awful SGA episode afterwards just makes this look ever better! *LOL*)

Thumbs up everyone!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I cant believe it, i mean it seems so unfair to kill innocent people and the ship, Why couldnt they just let the ship be. It suckz, i hate when there are scenes where characters die and its so unfair it had to be the ship and god knows maybe some of the crew.
                                part of:
                                Unique Bond fansite Graphics Com ShepMagan Icons

wanna sig? pm me and ill make u one

Comment

Working...
                                X