Stronghold (914)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SSJPabs View Post
    With Season 10 all posted and my finals done, I'm re-watching Seasons 9-10 on Hulu. Not to much to say on this episode except that Mitchell was pretty stupid during the battle. Also, at the end regarding the bonding moment that wasn't....

I would have preferred when Teal'c talked about knowing oneself, that Mitchell would have brought up Teal'c doing kelno'reem, something like:

"I heard from Jackson that you do some meditation."

"Indeed, it is kelno'reem. While I do not require it since being free of my symbiote, I find it useful/enjoyable/soothing whatever word."

"I put some people at risk today when I went to rescue you because I was having a tough day. Kelno'reem.... You wanna teach me how to do that?"

There, bonding moment. Also help Mitchell overcoming impulse and impatience.
    Too bad they didn't do just that. <<pain>> See: Off The Grid.
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

In a reversal I found myself not liking this episode as much as I did first time round. I remember being surprised by Teal'c ending up as Ba'al's prisoner and that was really the only part of this that I liked. Again we are learning more about Mitchell through the friend dying scenes, which to be honest I think I've had quite enough of for now. I think we know now that Mitchell has a load of emotional baggage and is a bit gung ho!

The battle to rescue Teal'c was a welcome relief to be honest!

The music playing when Bra'tak mourned the death of the Jaffa council member is a wonderful piece of music, I think I remember first hearing it in 'Redemption' pt 1, when Teal'c lit Dray'uc's funeral pyre, it really adds to the sense of sadness and loss.

Comment

This was a really good Cam ep imo. He's really starting to become his own character now. Not just a Jack clone.

I felt sorry for him after everything he has been through. Couldn't they have saved his friend with the Goa'uld hand device? They always conveniently forget about that.

The battle to save Teal'c was cool.
        sigpic

Comment

This was probably a little too soon to do another backstory with Mitchell since Collateral Damage was just two episodes ago. I orginally found myself not caring do to an overdose of Mitchell. I'm not an anti S9 person but I kind of felt that we did not need to learn about his friend who is terminally ill because he saved Cam's life. Too much backstory together. I did say that it was expected that he would need more character episodes then the rest just for the sheer length of the other characters on the show but this was too much. I was much more interested in the Teal'c and Jaffa conspiracy story. I was more interested in seeing what is behind the brainwashing and see Teal'c fight the torture. I remember the first time actually believeing he was brainwashed. I remember fans complaining about the gung ho attiude of Mitchell at climax. I never really agreed with that insight as many of the other main characters have showed a lack of rational thinking in a bout of anger
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

That would be fine if the bout of anger was about something that had to do with the current situation. He had time to get dressed for the mission and hit the end of the briefing. That's long enough to get the emotions under control. Or at least to rethink that he wouldn't follow orders because he's in a bad mood.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              This was probably a little too soon to do another backstory with Mitchell since Collateral Damage was just two episodes ago. I orginally found myself not caring do to an overdose of Mitchell. I'm not an anti S9 person but I kind of felt that we did not need to learn about his friend who is terminally ill because he saved Cam's life. Too much backstory together. I did say that it was expected that he would need more character episodes then the rest just for the sheer length of the other characters on the show but this was too much. I was much more interested in the Teal'c and Jaffa conspiracy story. I was more interested in seeing what is behind the brainwashing and see Teal'c fight the torture. I remember the first time actually believeing he was brainwashed. I remember fans complaining about the gung ho attiude of Mitchell at climax. I never really agreed with that insight as many of the other main characters have showed a lack of rational thinking in a bout of anger
              His bout of anger really served no purpose. He didn't save Teal'c or do anyone any good in his rush to rescue Teal'c. Teal'c had already rescued himself by turning the staff weapon on Ba'al, killing him. At which point, Mitchell burst into the room - too late to rescue anyone. He also endangered those outside who had come to rescue Teal'c, and then wound up having to be rescued by Sam and Daniel when he was caught by Jaffa while trying to activate the rings.

All in all, I'd say it was one big flop as far as "Cam to the rescue against all odds" just because he was having a bad day. I really, really hope this turned into something of a negative mark on his record, since he was a liability throughout the mission and was too emotionally charged up to have even gone on the mission. A count against Landry for letting him go; although in Landry's defense, Cam didn't really show his anger until he got to the planet and joined in the fight.

I would like to have heard some passing comment about this being a mark on his record, since everyone on all SG teams at one time or another likely wound up with black marks on their records. Sam did. Jack did. Daniel did. I'm sure people on other SG teams did as well. I would like to have seen some sort of fallout from this sort of behavior. You can't let stuff like that go unreported, regardless of whether the other person is someone you like and are friends with.
              Last edited by hedwig; 22 April 2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

So...

1. Another one I sort of knew of...at least the Mitchell side of things, didn't know the other guy's history though.

2. Interesting trick with Ba'al dropping the Goa'uld voice around Teal'c...seems to be an S9 speciality.

3. Jaffa democracy - .

4. Cam...again...his reactions were flawed but I can relate to the guy.

Not as good as Ripple Effect but certainly a big one.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The ep. had some nice scenes and the democracy plot in jaffa-land could have been interesting.
                  BUT with the worst B-plot ever, that took so much ep-time and was soooo unnecessary in the first place, the whole ep. got ruined. I think it was the worst b-plot, I have ever seen on Stargate.
                  Was this plot supposed to help in character building of Mitchell? Gee, what a waste of time. That guy is not authentic on screen, regardless if he has some baggage to carry or not. You do not get the audience to sympathize with him, if he constantly acts like a 12-year old, suffering from ADHD. This is BB trying to do a character, instead of actually a character that can be liked or disliked, but at the very least comes across as one. He was the wrong choice right from the beginning. Only way out would have been to replace him - but surely not to force the audience to digest all this background stuff. That is a way of making a character even more annoying. Background stories only work, if a character has reached a certain level of acceptance. It is definetly not a way to achieve acceptance.

Comment

Originally posted by enibas5 View Post
                    The ep. had some nice scenes and the democracy plot in jaffa-land could have been interesting.
                    BUT with the worst B-plot ever, that took so much ep-time and was soooo unnecessary in the first place, the whole ep. got ruined. I think it was the worst b-plot, I have ever seen on Stargate.
                    Was this plot supposed to help in character building of Mitchell? Gee, what a waste of time. That guy is not authentic on screen, regardless if he has some baggage to carry or not. You do not get the audience to sympathize with him, if he constantly acts like a 12-year old, suffering from ADHD. This is BB trying to do a character, instead of actually a character that can be liked or disliked, but at the very least comes across as one. He was the wrong choice right from the beginning. Only way out would have been to replace him - but surely not to force the audience to digest all this background stuff. That is a way of making a character even more annoying. Background stories only work, if a character has reached a certain level of acceptance. It is definetly not a way to achieve acceptance.
                    Wow - you really hate Ben Browder, don't you?
                    To me - and I hope I'm not the only one here - this ep was great. A bit of everything: anger, frustration, loyalty, kidnapping, politics, militarism and a tragic/happy ending with Teal'c and Mitchell.
                    CARPE DIEM
                    ANJA

Comment

Oh lookie here... Hello there, Ba'al! I see you're back at brainwashing your way to the top of the foodchain...

Anyhow, this is an okay episode and since I couldn't remember what happened, it felt like I saw it for the first time. It's action-packed, and yet has plenty of quiet moments to further the story. On the one hand, we have the Jaffa and Teal'c getting kidnapped, and on the other we have Cameron torn between doing his job and guilttripping over a mate. Not that he didn't have reason to be guilttripping -- he's that kind of guy who can't let go, and no reason he should but not letting go can be detrimental to one's mental health sometimes.

I think he has a long way to go towards acceptance, but that's not a bad thing. Everything takes time after all.

And then there's Ba'al undermining the fragile Jaffa nation, undermining their freedom and trying to manipulate them into doing his bidding. Maybe he should just have asked nicely instead.

How would you rate SG-1's "Stronghold?"

Excellent
                      Good
                      Fair
                      Poor
                      Terrible
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I was surprised that Cam left that memory device in his friend's room when he had to go back to SGC. That device was super secret and if somebody would find it...
                        On the other hand I was thinking about possibility to save his friend. Couldn't just Sam use that Goau'ld's hand device and somehow cure him? I don't know if it can work, it was just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AmFor View Post
                          I was surprised that Cam left that memory device in his friend's room when he had to go back to SGC. That device was super secret and if somebody would find it...
                          On the other hand I was thinking about possibility to save his friend. Couldn't just Sam use that Goau'ld's hand device and somehow cure him? I don't know if it can work, it was just an idea.
                          I think the hospital staff knows about the SGC's existence.
                          Or at least, has the necessary clearance for it.

Comment

Yeah, that was a special military hospital that was given alien technology to develop into effective treatments. Cameron had to pull strings to get his friend in without clearance, suggesting that most patients know about the Stargate program:

KELLY: I won't lie to you -- it's in a tricky spot. But as you know, we have access to certain technology not available to everyone else just yet.

MITCHELL: Yes, Ma'am -- thanks.

KELLY: I was told he's not privy to classified material.

MITCHELL: No.

KELLY: So ... You got him in here but you couldn't get him clearance?

Comment

3-episode quiz: Ripple Effect, Stronghold & Ethon

Jigsaw puzzle: Stronghold

Comment

I'm the rare person who actually likes this episode. I actually like the Mitchell story and sympathize. I think I would feel guilty if my friend was going to die. The Ba'al story is okay but it seems half baked. It was never quite clear what his endgame was. But I did love the Bra'tac scenes and the Landry speech. I call it a fair with 8;33
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X