Collateral Damage (912)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion
    Okay, basic ripoff of a Star trek TNG episode which probably ripped off something else, but with an interesting twist at the end, and some good backstory on Mitchell which (please excuse me while I diverge over to SGA for a second - WHY can't they do the same for Sheppard??? - rant over).
    There are no original stories, only interpretations of them. Predictable would have been having Atherton be the bad guy. Personally, I was expecting it to be Amuro.

This has quickly become one of my favorite episode of the season.
    My guilty pleasures.

Now...What Am I Offered For All Of The Powers In The Universe?
    A giant swirling headstone, marking the spot where we all used to live and play and slaughter the innocent.

New Vids: Superstar & Chosen Path

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      Nice performance by BB. Nice angst Except I'm still confused. What did he remember? I don't mean about his dad. I got that. But, what happened in the memory that made him almost quit the air force?
      He was on a mission to kill a target, the intel said the target was in the convoy, he fired. Suddenly they say they're wrong. He discusses it with his CO at the time, it was a convoy of refugees, the target wasn't on there.

Comment

The good:
        I liked the backstory on Mitchell with his Father. It served as a frame of reference to get to know him.

The bad:

Retconning already

From Avalon:
        LANDRY: well your service record is impeccable Mitchell. What's wrong with you? *drops file.*

MITCHELL: sir?

LANDRY: Nobody's perfect. Everyone has some kind of character flaw. What's yours?

Was that shot with the missile firing on the refugees a mis-step, mistake?

Since Prion has mentioned Star Trek NG here's a few more:

Minority Report.

Strange Days.

Brainstorm.

And a recycled Beneath The Surface.

Comment

Not as good as some episodes this season, but a vast improvement over last week.

Okay, first the nitpicks. I don't usually see a lot of Jack in Mitchell, but early on, some of the things he said did seem rather Jackish. I didn't like Daniel's line about having to prove guilt on Earth, because it seemed to be just put in there for the punch line - "I know we're not on Earth." And, I wish thye could have gotten the plot going without the "romance" angle.

Nice performance by BB. Nice angst Except I'm still confused. What did he remember? I don't mean about his dad. I got that. But, what happened in the memory that made him almost quit the air force?
          He was involved in a "Friendly fire" incident where he accidently bombed a bunch of refugees.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer
            I have mixed feelings on this ep..

Pros:
            -Cam gets some back story O_O.. now why cant Sheppard get some to... considering we have gone 2 seasons and still know just about nothing

-The twist... I was like OMG it's so damn obvious its the evil senator guy(or what ever he was..) and then the real culprit getting his memory screwed with AGAIN....

-No Ori (though they are the main villans I would like a break from them ever once and a while >.>)

Con:
            -Cam just had to fall for the sexy alien chick didnt he >.> even Daniel made a pass about this when he, sam and Teac went over to Cam at the party >.>

id give this 3/5
            I agree that the ending had a delightful unexpected twist.
            Let's just all ban together against the "kirking syndrome". Does anyone have a link to that Thread posted here at GW?

Comment

He was on a mission to kill a target, the intel said the target was in the convoy, he fired. Suddenly they say they're wrong. He discusses it with his CO at the time, it was a convoy of refugees, the target wasn't on there.

Thanks. So, he killed innocent people. Now, if they could just incorporate that into his personality. I mean, now we know it happened to him. We know it effected him then. How does that experience color who he is now? That could add some shading. Nothing heavy, just stuff to weave into episodes.

I don't really mind that there wasn't anything specific or unique that the others were doing. This was a definite Mitchell episode, but I still got the sense that the others were a part of it. I do want team episodes as well.

I also don't mind that it isn't completely original. What is? It didn't strike me as derivative. I mean, I knew the concept had been done before (although I don't recall the Star Trek episode) but it didn't stand out to me as a copy.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                Retconning already

From Avalon:
                LANDRY: well your service record is impeccable Mitchell. What's wrong with you? *drops file.*

MITCHELL: sir?

LANDRY: Nobody's perfect. Everyone has some kind of character flaw. What's yours?

Was that shot with the missile firing on the refugees a mis-step, mistake?
                Good point. But he successfully did what he was told, and didn't take it in stride. Maybe Landry was saying Mitchell himself has a perfect record, the intel was the problem.

Comment

This goes to prove that you don't need action to have a good story.

I don't know why you guys don't like the "kirking syndrome" thing, I love it!

9/9
                  Last edited by BigGator5; 13 January 2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I also don't mind that it isn't completely original. What is? It didn't strike me as derivative. I mean, I knew the concept had been done before (although I don't recall the Star Trek episode) but it didn't stand out to me as a copy.
                    Not once during the episode do I think about Minority Report or anything with similiar storyline. You're all just too analitical methinks, I don't mind cliche or recycled, as long as its got its own flare.

Comment

Well, I never saw Minority Report, or Strange Days, or the other one. And, only saw a basic connection (false memories) to Beneath the Surface. Mitchell knew who he was, and knew that the memories were false.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Ok...this was aweful! How many times do we have to learn about Mitchell's past through flashbacks?

Oh, and can I say deja vu??? This was Voyager all over again, but I felt more for Tom Paris than I did Mitchell.

Did anyone else catch the major slam to Daniel in the conference room? First Mitchell slams Daniel then the Landry backs up Mitchell and pretty much puts Daniel in his place.

Then the camera shaking all over the place. I don't watch BG (since I'm a fan of the original and refuse to watch the new one), but I've seen enough of the commercials to know that they like to do the motion camera thing and I don't like it for SG1.

Right now I'm watching Atlantis and it's way better (I loved Rodney's "Conan and Xena" comment).

I also found it odd that Mitchell was so willing to pull strings for this girl. And then go off with her. Man, I'm praying he's not some Kirk wannabe. (Even though I loved Kirk).

Comment

Just a nit pick, but once they knew that Cam didn’t do it, shouldn’t they have been concentrating on the only people with the expertise to implant the memories? They made a big deal about there only being a few people capable of doing this, so why not check them out right away? Oh, right, then the show would have been over in 20 minutes, and they needed to get more of Cam’s backstory in. Sorry, my bad for bringing up logic.

NC

Comment

can i ask one thing? does he pull any one-liners in this ep?

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I believe there was a quip or two early on, that jarred me, but he got serious pretty fast. Other than that, the biggest problem I had with him was the "Kirking" plot device.

Comment

Originally posted by shiznaw
                                I agree that the ending had a delightful unexpected twist.
                                Let's just all ban together against the "kirking syndrome". Does anyone have a link to that Thread posted here at GW?
                                I liked the unexpected twist at the end, too. That is, if you mean the final erasure, as who actually killed her was apparent to me as soon as she was murdered.

LOL, I immediately thought of Tom Paris and the implanted memories and the murder HE didn't commit in ST:Voyager. (Hey, AGateFan, let's duke it out over whether the plot more resembled B5 or ST:Voyager! LOL )

I liked the "dad" bits because we FINALLY got to learn something about Cam's past. Overall I'd say it was the best ep so far this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X