Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Collateral Damage (912)

He was on a mission to kill a target, the intel said the target was in the convoy, he fired. Suddenly they say they're wrong. He discusses it with his CO at the time, it was a convoy of refugees, the target wasn't on there.

Thanks. So, he killed innocent people. Now, if they could just incorporate that into his personality. I mean, now we know it happened to him. We know it effected him then. How does that experience color who he is now? That could add some shading. Nothing heavy, just stuff to weave into episodes.

I don't really mind that there wasn't anything specific or unique that the others were doing. This was a definite Mitchell episode, but I still got the sense that the others were a part of it. I do want team episodes as well.

I also don't mind that it isn't completely original. What is? It didn't strike me as derivative. I mean, I knew the concept had been done before (although I don't recall the Star Trek episode) but it didn't stand out to me as a copy.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Quote Originally Posted by LaCroix
    Retconning already

From Avalon:
    LANDRY: well your service record is impeccable Mitchell. What's wrong with you? *drops file.*

MITCHELL: sir?

LANDRY: Nobody's perfect. Everyone has some kind of character flaw. What's yours?

Was that shot with the missile firing on the refugees a mis-step, mistake?
    Good point. But he successfully did what he was told, and didn't take it in stride. Maybe Landry was saying Mitchell himself has a perfect record, the intel was the problem.

Arrow1 Re: Collateral Damage (912)

This goes to prove that you don't need action to have a good story.

I don't know why you guys don't like the "kirking syndrome" thing, I love it!

9/9
    Last edited by BigGator5; January 13th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    I also don't mind that it isn't completely original. What is? It didn't strike me as derivative. I mean, I knew the concept had been done before (although I don't recall the Star Trek episode) but it didn't stand out to me as a copy.
    Not once during the episode do I think about Minority Report or anything with similiar storyline. You're all just too analitical methinks, I don't mind cliche or recycled, as long as its got its own flare.

Well, I never saw Minority Report, or Strange Days, or the other one. And, only saw a basic connection (false memories) to Beneath the Surface. Mitchell knew who he was, and knew that the memories were false.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Second Lieutenant

Ok...this was aweful! How many times do we have to learn about Mitchell's past through flashbacks?

Oh, and can I say deja vu??? This was Voyager all over again, but I felt more for Tom Paris than I did Mitchell.

Did anyone else catch the major slam to Daniel in the conference room? First Mitchell slams Daniel then the Landry backs up Mitchell and pretty much puts Daniel in his place.

Then the camera shaking all over the place. I don't watch BG (since I'm a fan of the original and refuse to watch the new one), but I've seen enough of the commercials to know that they like to do the motion camera thing and I don't like it for SG1.

Right now I'm watching Atlantis and it's way better (I loved Rodney's "Conan and Xena" comment).

I also found it odd that Mitchell was so willing to pull strings for this girl. And then go off with her. Man, I'm praying he's not some Kirk wannabe. (Even though I loved Kirk).

Just a nit pick, but once they knew that Cam didn’t do it, shouldn’t they have been concentrating on the only people with the expertise to implant the memories? They made a big deal about there only being a few people capable of doing this, so why not check them out right away? Oh, right, then the show would have been over in 20 minutes, and they needed to get more of Cam’s backstory in. Sorry, my bad for bringing up logic.

NC

can i ask one thing? does he pull any one-liners in this ep?

sally
    sally

I believe there was a quip or two early on, that jarred me, but he got serious pretty fast. Other than that, the biggest problem I had with him was the "Kirking" plot device.

TV Re: Collateral Damage (912)

Quote Originally Posted by shiznaw
    I agree that the ending had a delightful unexpected twist.
    Let's just all ban together against the "kirking syndrome". Does anyone have a link to that Thread posted here at GW?
    I liked the unexpected twist at the end, too. That is, if you mean the final erasure, as who actually killed her was apparent to me as soon as she was murdered.

LOL, I immediately thought of Tom Paris and the implanted memories and the murder HE didn't commit in ST:Voyager. (Hey, AGateFan, let's duke it out over whether the plot more resembled B5 or ST:Voyager! LOL )

I liked the "dad" bits because we FINALLY got to learn something about Cam's past. Overall I'd say it was the best ep so far this season.

The "kirking" criticism kills me. So, because Kirk slept around a lot, no character is ever allowed to have a bit of romance in a Scifi show?! Sheesh. Poor Cam. I bet he hasn't been with a girl in a long time, and the time he meets someone nice, she's murdered! I wouldn't call that "kirking"!

relaxing on a certain dock near a certain cabin...

Okay what did I like?
    • Cam has more than just throwaway cliché lines. Finally!
    • They went through the gate to get somewhere even if we didn’t get see it. (Yay! The big shiny spinning round circle still works! )
    • It was an episode much closer to capturing the spirit of the original, pre-s9 SG than we’ve seen all season.
    • GO WALTER! It has been wonderful to see Walter given more scenes and dialogue this season. Hey we need some Walter smileys here!
    • This kind of episode was a kinder, gentler and way more effective way to introduce us to Cam, a heck of a lot better than that stuff we got bludgeoned with the first couple eps of this season. Kudos for a tying in the flashback backhistory so much better in this one.
    • I look forward to Ripple Effect and hope it lives up to some of the spoilers.

Concerns:
    • Speaking of bludgeoning a victim – wow - perhaps those scenes repeated too much. We get it, we get it, we get it. After two repeats of the scenes we know what Cam saw happen to the doctor. Third time and thereafter – do we have to keep seeing it? Was it a time filler?
    • The story arc seemed too familiar, although I do give points for the way the actor portraying the general came across - you were still guessing at the end if the dear General was really the killer and was just conveniently wiping the mind of his brilliant scientists and anyone else in his path.
    • Ummmm…… anyone else have an issue with Cam moseying off to ‘get it on’ with a local during the ‘diplomatic’ part of their mission? *coughs* Is this The New Diplomacy? *coughs* I hope it’s not the precedent for future seasons – PTB, please don’t whore Cam out that way if you do get another season or two out of the franchise, please... I guess I’d assume SG1 (or any other team off-world for whatever the reason) is ‘still on the clock’ acting as official emissaries of Earth until they’re back at base & that intimate relations with locals is amongst the no-no's. I can’t seem to remember when were we ever shown SG1 off-world messing around with the local men/women - and alien influences a la Brief Candle, Need, etc. don’t count, nor would A Hundred Days. Yes, yes, I know it was there to push the whole plot arc in motion, but ummm… maybe SG1 isn’t such family fare anymore and needs to be moved up to the 9 o’clock hour and put SG:A on at 8?
    • And I still get the feeling that the rest of the team are just cardboard cutouts that are moved around to deliver narrative where needed… I don’t know, the sense of urgency that accompanied the early eps of the series wasn’t there. Yeah, we see the rest of the team going back to base, we see them talking, but what are they really *doing*? Again the feeling of urgency and the concern that maybe Cam might not make it back (for me) wasn’t there.
    Last edited by ShimmeringStar; January 13th, 2006 at 06:39 PM.
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnquixote
    Not once during the episode do I think about Minority Report or anything with similiar storyline. You're all just too analitical methinks, I don't mind cliche or recycled, as long as its got its own flare.
    Well, the storyline was certainly nothing new, as it's been used in about five different scifi shows that I can think of, but I'm not going to knock them for re-imagining it their own way, they did a nice turn on an old theme. Plus the team interaction seemed a little more relaxed and comfortable to me this ep.

Arrow1 Re: Collateral Damage (912)

Quote Originally Posted by ShardsofGlass
    The "kirking" criticism kills me. So, because Kirk slept around a lot, no character is ever allowed to have a bit of romance in a Scifi show?! Sheesh. Poor Cam. I bet he hasn't been with a girl in a long time, and the time he meets someone nice, she's murdered! I wouldn't call that "kirking"!
    Agreed on both points...

Long Live Kirk!!

*Then the Sci-Fi fans died in massive numbers from the following battle...*

But, it wasn't romance. It was just contrived to further the plot. I don't think he's ever going to think about her again, he didn't have time to form a connection, they share no bond. I mean, they could have done it some other way to establish him being implanted with the memories. That just seemed unimaginative.

And, I just don't care how long any of them have been with someone. It's not important to me. If I never saw any of them with a one time character romance of the week or a longer term partner, I would be fine.

Now, did they imply that Mitchell had been married, or that he had been in a relationship where his job got in the way? He said he understood the victim's (heck, I don't even remember her name) problems in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    I believe there was a quip or two early on, that jarred me, but he got serious pretty fast. Other than that, the biggest problem I had with him was the "Kirking" plot device.
    yep, besides the kirking I thought the ep was a good one for Mitchell. I thought the quip or two early were on the appropriate side and he did stay serious when it was serious.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Thumbs up Re: Collateral Damage (912)

Pros:
    A Great stand-alone episode.
    Nice storyline twists all throughout it.
    I figured the Kinsey-esque guy did it, but I was wrong.
    Great character building episode for Cam, nice to see some background, now Mitchell has more background Sheppard.

Cons:
    Kirking is getting annoying.
    No one for Teal'c to beat up.
    I'm proud to be an American.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...daowned4gx.gif
    "...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

It wasn't the act of quipping, or the placement (much more realistic than the "comedy" last week) but they did seem too Jack-like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShardsofGlass
    "Kirking" refers to the overused concept of one-time relationships with "alien" women as a feature of many storylines, discussed at length elsewhere on this forum, especially as it pertains to Shep. It's okay if you don't see it with Cam (and others do).

All I can say is that space must be a very sexy place. No wonder so many folks want to be on elite SG teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Seshat
    All I can say is that space must be a very sexy place. No wonder so many folks want to be on elite SG teams.
    *snort*

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast