No announcement yet.

The Fourth Horseman, Part 2 (911)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this episode so much, I'm going to be watching it again!

Comment

It is an episode that follows the mold of every other SG-1 episode. Then we actually get emotion. They tired, and got 2/3 times right. So, I mean who can fault them. At least they are adding depth to a show that is ussualy just on for fun.
      Lastest Episode: Alliances, Part One

Comment

Originally posted by ancientalliance
        This episode is exactly what Stargate has always been and more, I think TPTB have done an excellent job with the introduction of new characters and enemies/allies, it has revitalized the series... and frankly I have to ask what made this particular episode so boring compared to the rest of season nine?
        I didn't say it was boooring compared to the rest of season 9 - it was just as boring, to me, as most of the first half eps have been. Vala is a disgrace, IMO and those eps are lost eps for me (time I spent watching what little of them I did was wasted time I can never have back. Many of the other first half eps were just as boring.) Where is the team we used to know, the spirit the camaraderie, yes Mitchell is new but at least Sam, Daniel and Teal'c could act like they know and like each other and have worked to save the world together hundreds of times for the past 8 years, and at least they could make an effort to have all 4 of them together once in awhile, especially given that Mitchell is new, to give at least some small impression that they really and truly are a team.

The writers etc, IMO, have lost their punch and their spark. The Ori are not interesting, they are not scary and they do not throw me into worry that somehow they will win or defeat anyone I really care about. The Lam/Landry stuff was a waste of good screen time - she is shrill and juvenile and immature. I wish TPTB would get away from writing so much of this cutesy "personal" stuff and get away from soapy crap - yes I think that this show has gone waaay too far in the direction of soap.

I have a personal take on Mitchell and BB which I will refrain from saying here as I will likely be flamed for it so suffice it to say that the character is wooden and almost dead and does nothing for me - I have nothing invested in the character and so far he has done nothing to make me want to waste my time getting invested. The scenes with Mitchell flying and, once again, in peril, because of the Cigarette Smoking Man (and that's who he is to me - he wasn't a Stargate bad guy - he was the CSM who could make Mitchell fly) did absolutely nothing because in the eps Mitchell has actually been given something to do he has been in peril at some point in almost every one of them - it's like that cartoon where the blonde always ended up tied to the railroad tracks but you knew she would always get out. It is becoming funny to watch Mitchell get into peril - it's boooring now after so many eps in such a short time with him always in trouble. Makes me wonder about his abilities as a military man - he's got the Daniel in peril syndrome.

The stuff with Orlin and Carter was just plain boring as well. Saw that coming a mile away. Saw that ending coming a mile away too - not so much the Gerak fire thing (glad he's gone though, maybe now Teal'c will have something more to do) that was about the only "exciting" part because for one brief second you were not sure what would happen after that. And once again, in the last one minute of the ep everything is miraculously fine and within 1 second Landry goes from death's door to up and about - they could have at least had him struggle to get his bearings back for a minute or two. It is getting booooring, boooring booring. The show has become like every other show on TV - mediocre TV - nothing special and nothing different and my fears for when Vala returns take it even below mediocre.

The other waste of screen time was Hammnd and Landry in Landry's office talking about the stock market and govermnment destabilization - please can you say spoon feed and can you say what a waste of good Hammond time where they actually could have used the guy for something more relevant and substantive than that dreck. I loved seeing Hammond but boy what a waste of his time (and what excalty is he doing and what happened to have him out of the AF, if he is out. Once again, just like Jack, and like why Carter is back, and why Teal'c and Daniel and Carter decided to rejoin and all of the other unanswered questions -- TPTB have lost their touch).

So after 7 years (they lost me mid-season 7 and definitely lost me in S8 but I was willing to give S9 a chance anyway) of this being one of my favorite shows because it was always different, always exciting, it has become humdrum, run-of-the-mill typical TV fare you can catch on any one of a hundred channels every day now. As I said - it is sad to see it end for me but it has.
        Last edited by binkpmmc; 06 January 2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

DO NOT QUESTION TPTB! INDEPENDENT OPINIONS ARE EVIL! CONFORM OR ELSE! BURN THE DISSENTERS!

For some odd reason, it's harder for me to spell when I type in all caps...

Also, I haven't actually seen the episode yet, as I'm currently sans SciFi. Anyone want to synopsize for I and other potiential spoiler-mongers?
          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Overall, I am very pleased with this episode. If this is a sign of things to come, me and many others out here are going to be very happy campers. If this ep was a sendoff for Hammond, I thought it was done rather well. As for the others, I really liked the progression of several characters, such as Landry and Lam. Definitely Beau Bridges' best performance to date. As for Teal'c, awesome! Very powerful performance by him and Bra'tac. I also liked how Gerak chose to do the right thing in the end. I knew he wasn't all bad. Yep, I'm definitely watching this puppy again later - I taped it.
            Last edited by the fifth man; 06 January 2006, 07:32 PM.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Just in case you missed my post on the previous page, this is a DISCUSSION thread. all opinions are welcome here, be they pro, be they con, be they in the middle.

If you find that a poster's opinion constantly offends you, there is the ignore feature, which is sorely under used.

This thread is to discuss the episode, not each other. Posts discussing other posters are off topic and will be deleted.

Should individuals continue to ignore the rules of this forum they can face moderation.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

edited to try and make my prayer come true.

captainpash It is an episode that follows the mold of every other SG-1 episode. Then we actually get emotion. They tired, and got 2/3 times right. So, I mean who can fault them. At least they are adding depth to a show that is ussualy just on for fun.
                Tangent, Show and Tell, Forever and a Day, Singularity, Reckoning 2, Avalon 2, Protoype. Just a few examples (some from this season) that were more than just fun, that had depth, and that made me feel something that this episode didn't.
                Last edited by Dani347; 06 January 2006, 07:31 PM.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Funny, I thought this ep did a lot to bring things together a little. The old and the new.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Awesome episode. Some very powerful performances, I'll tell you that. Keep your eyes on Teal'c and Landry.
                    Last edited by the fifth man; 06 January 2006, 07:46 PM.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I was totally into it, good to see new episodes of SG-1!!

-Teal'c is quite the diplomat. I loved how he handled the whole Gerak situation. That was pretty awesome, it's about time he starts to get some respect for saving the entire Jaffa race. Hopefully Bratac will lead, good to see him back.

-Mitchell and Jackson had some great comedy moments. I think the only thing you can do wrong with Mitchell is not give him enough screen time.

-I didn't get bored by the Carter/Little ancient (what's his name??) subplot. I thought that was handled well, except her shirt at the end could've been a little more low cut. Any time she's not in uniform it's a perfect excuse, come on TPTB. j/k

-However, I was completly sick of Landry, and the sappy family problems he brings to Earth's first line of defense, the SGC!! This is just getting out of control, I found myself hoping that he would just cry in his bed and die of sickness so we could get a new General. Hammond never had any baggage, he was too damn busy worrying about everything else!! It just seems unprofessional to have the head of the medical staff crying about her rough childhood during a cataclysmic medical disaster threatening the entire Earth. I have no problems with Vala or Mitchell whatsoever, however...Lam and Landry still need some SIGNIFICANT retooling.

-Gotta say, even though I liked the episode my current rank is
                      1st place Battlestar Galactica (flawless)
                      2nd place Stargate Atlantis (comedy+action+CG=good time)
                      3rd place Stargate SG-1 (just not quite firing on all cylinders yet)

Comment

*applause* I honestly think this was the best s.9 epi yet. And considering the fact that there are so many different opinions about it (loving and hating) makes it even better in my eyes. I can't wait to get it on DVD so that I won't have to deal with those blasted commercials.

Tremendous acting. Teal'c and Gerak were the highlights by far, esp. at the end. Those two are so dynamic together...
                        Landry and the Doc daughter, I actually teared up when she was talking. Lexa was perfect. She had so much anger and resentment, but then realization of what it was like for him. She seemed even angry at that, like a part of her didn't want to sympathize, that she wanted to go on hating him. His expression and then that tear was perfect.
                        I was thankful for the banter b/t Daniel and Mitchell. It helped to lighten up the tension or else it would've been too much w/i an a simple hour.
                        As for Orlin and Sam. *sob* To see him like that at the end. His speech in the middle when talking about it not being fair, the memories he's losing. It seemed painful to listen to him being so helpless. Amazing acting by far.
                        I'm so looking forward to how this'll play out. What will happen when the Ori go after the Ancients??? How will the Milky Way galaxy be affected if there should be a war? The only way I can see an out is if SG-1 goes to the Ori homeworld to try to enlighten the peoples to what's really going on. To diminish the Ori's power.
                        Yes, the scenes were short, but the emotions packed no less of a punch.
                        One slight inconsistency though. If this plague passed via touch, then Daniel should've been infected when Landry fell, and time doesn't seem to be much of an issue with this plague. This is slight though. 5/5
                        I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
                        - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comment

Huh, I like where the Landry and Lam relationship is going. For me, it's nice to see a personal side to things.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                            Huh, I like where the Landry and Lam relationship is going. For me, it's nice to see a personal side to things.
                            From the sound of it you're not alone. I don't know, it just seems too early to play that card for their character to me. JMHO.

Comment

The relationship b/t those (Landry and Lam) two I also thought had a wonderful breakthrough.

I don't get the problem some have with the Sodan changing sides. The only reason why they went Ori was because they wished for enlightment/ascension. The Sodan aren't weak or wayward in their beliefs. They had their view of what enlightment was and realized on their first mission out that their view was 180 degrees different from that of the Ori. They didn't buy what the Ori believed, only what they were selling (ascension). I honestly thought that if the writers were to do the Sodan, their faith, and what they stood for, justice, then the Sodan would be one of the first to break away from something as grotesque as the Ori.
                              I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know!
                              - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by Battousai the Manslayer
                                From the sound of it you're not alone. I don't know, it just seems too early to play that card for their character to me. JMHO.
                                I see where you're coming from. I guess all we can do is hope that tptb reach a level with this relationship that we all can tolerate.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X