No announcement yet.

Michael (218)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my fave SGA episodes though it als has some parts in it that really frustrate me much

Especially the part when Teyla tells Michael Wraith have no compassion and show no mercy, trying to justify with that what they did to him.

They played him like a fiddle all the episode and then expect him to be forgiving and compassionate towards them, when they, except for Carson and maybe Teyla at the beginning, did not care really how he would feel if they forced him to be something else, which is not very compassionate or kind at all

Comment

People always talk about the ethical dilemma of what they did to Michael. But what about the concept itself? They are essentially converting one race into another because the other race is seen as bad with the alternative being mass extermination.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
        People always talk about the ethical dilemma of what they did to Michael. But what about the concept itself? They are essentially converting one race into another because the other race is seen as bad with the alternative being mass extermination.
        Well, it's like the "cure" in the X-men really, isn't?
        Conceptually, it could be fine if it was entirely by choice, but it's not really, is it?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Well, it's like the "cure" in the X-men really, isn't?
          Conceptually, it could be fine if it was entirely by choice, but it's not really, is it?
          By choice, that would have been a thing to think about indeed, but in the case of Wraith and the Atlantis team I guess they would not have even cared to ask among the Wraith, if someone would want to try and in return the Wraith might not have listened

Comment

If the story did not involve the Wraith, the ethical concerns would be totally valid. But in this case we know that the Wraith are a threat to human survival with no exception. We are their "food" (although I cannot understand why they don't feed no animals). It is a question of the survival of the human race. If it is an extreme case, is there a choice? The acting and ethical issues were excellent. However, it did not examine sufficiently WHY Michael would want to return to being a Wraith knowing what they are, when there is a much better alternative. There isn't enough of an examination of MICHAEL'S ethical struggle. It seemed straightforward that as soon as he found out the truth he wanted to return to being a Wraith. But WHY exactly?!

Comment

Well.. Michael is a major Wraith character, so you have to continue the show to get your answers.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

When I first saw this episode years ago I didn't enjoy it as much as I do now, but still. Great acting from all the actors. I mean Michael is probably a pretty sympathetic villain as far as the series goes. Honestly probably one of the Atlantis crews biggest mistakes, but you know what they say about good intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by scififan21 View Post
                  I mean Michael is probably a pretty sympathetic villain as far as the series goes. Honestly probably one of the Atlantis crews biggest mistakes, but you know what they say about good intentions.
                  And hindsight is always 20/20 too...
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                  X