This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Beachhead" and black holes (spoilers)

Okay...we have to assume that the wormhole that the Prior kept open while the force field expanded was an incoming wormhole. This must be the case because the objects that comprised the "supergate" came through. Sam said that the gate must be being kept open by a black hole in the Ori galaxy...but this directly contradicts "A Matter of Time". When the team on the black hole planet dialed the SGC, the gate only stayed open a couple seconds, supposedly because of the time dialation the team wasn't able to get to the gate before it shut down, likely meaning the team was experiencing far more time dialation than the gate itself was. Apparently the only way to keep a gate open beyond the normal 38 minute window is for the *receiving gate* to be time dialated with respect to the outgoing gate, or for the receiving gate to draw power from a black hole. There is no evidence that a black hole near the outgoing gate would cause a gate to stay active (hence the gate shutting down after a few seconds in "Matter of Time")...so how were the Ori able to keep the gate active for this long? Sam speculated that it was a black hole...but I don't think it was. I DO think they were trying to establish a black hole near the supergate so it would stay active indefinitely. Also...the wormhole was *incoming*...how could Vala have been sent through the singularity to the Ori galaxy? Matter and matter streams can only go one way through a stargate. Unless it had something to do with her being dematerialized by the ring transporter first...maybe that resulted in energy that could go the wrong way through a wormhole...but this doesn't explain how she was reconstituted on the other side. Also, to send an armada through, this means they must have a supergate on the other side as well...if this is the case, how does Vala end up on a planet instead of floating in space? Maybe she went to the nearest ring transporter on the planet near the supergate. I liked this episode, but there was too much inconsistency with regard to what was stated about the stargate, wormholes, and black holes in earlier episodes. That's enough rambling for now, I just like to find ways to explain plot holes...makes for easier suspension of disbelief.

One thing i think the prior keep his hand in the gate, or was sending a constants signal trought

Vala was turn to energy by the transportor and was tranmitted as a signal through the gate, They had ring in their galaxy so she hit one and it rematerialised her. They ussally don't keep ring in space so she hit the nearest ring.
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I guessed that, to send the Prior safely, they used a normal gate to begin the wormhole. Then they used a rotating black hole as a relay to stablize the wormhole and give it enough stability to travel to the milky way. That way there would be little space-time distortion effects.

When the supergate was almost completed, and the black hole formed, I guess that a wormhole was immediately connected back to the Ori's galaxy. With two wormholes they could send material both ways. I guess that Vala's matter stream went through the second wormhole in the time between when the blackhole formed and then when shock wave destroyed the weakened supergate.

Comment

Hmmm...makes sense. We don't know how long the Stargate on the planet remained active before it collapsed into the blackhole.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
          Hmmm...makes sense. We don't know how long the Stargate on the planet remained active before it collapsed into the blackhole.
          Very true!
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

That episode always confused me:

Was Vala sent through

i) The 'normal' stargate on the collapsing planet

ii) A wormhole that opened in the supergate just before it was destroyed (which we didn't see form)

iii) Possibly the blackhole formed by the collapsing planet to the blackhole formed in the Ori galaxy?

Attempting to answer the original question:

a) if the wormhole was incoming this presumably means the ring matter stream can travel either way through a wormhole.

b) OR, the prior could have been sent using a conventional wormhole, and then dialed OUT to the gate near the black hole, meaning it was an outgoing wormhole Vala went through.

This image: http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...chhead235.html would imply it was an incoming wormhole, as, if you look at the DHD, none of the symbols are lit up. Normally (as established in COTG: http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s1/1...02%5F0411.html), a dialled outgoing wormhole results in the dialled symbols being lit.

Here is an example of another incoming wormhole, again, the symbols on the DHD are unlit (from Reckoning part II): http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s8/8.../bscap241.html
            Last edited by jonno; 02 January 2006, 06:36 AM.
            I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

It was an incoming wormhole because those puddlejumper-like components of the supergate came through it.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65
                It was an incoming wormhole because those puddlejumper-like components of the supergate came through it.
                oops! Forgot completely about that ... how dumb am I??

At least it shows TPTB being consistent with their DHD lights!!!
                I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Who says with the right technology a Stargate can't be forced to be 2 way?
                  sigpic
                  I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                  'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                  'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

hmm i notticed that no one has mentioned the force feild around the colapsing planet/black hole. I beleive would be enough to sheild agiant the time dialation yet still supply power to both gates. as far as the vala matter stram with the rings, i got nothin

Comment

Working...
                    X