Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
    Just a friendly reminder on spoilers for non-Stargate shows. They are basically the same for Stargate use spoiler tags, it doesnt matter if the UK has seen them other countries haven't but in all likely hood will soon.

GateWorld spoiler policy for non-Stargate shows (thread)

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...t=17930&page=3
    Are you guys down south scheduled to see this ep anytime soon?

Comment

I love the bit where the alien starts to speak british and the camera swoops past the crowd of humans and the doors to the TARDIS open to reveal;
      'Did you miss me?'

Tennant rocks!
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I gotta say, I agree with Harriet Jones' decision to use Torchwood, as distasteful as it might seem. Here you just had alien invaders threaten to kill 2 billion of the Earth's people (or sell 3 billion into slavery) and they DID murder two of her staff right in front of her. The Doctor himself has seen first hand that their leader's own promise sworn on the blood of their species isn't worth diddly squat. And I'm sorry but the Doctor winning a duel involving swords is hardly a significant deterrent to other potential alien invaders.

I do understand the Doctor's wish for peaceful solutions because it's his nature, despite what happened to him and his race. He also has a soft spot for humans in general and no doubt wishes a kinder gentler future for Earth, even though he knows what lies ahead for its people. I guess I'll attribute his emotional tirade at Harriet Jones to him still feeling the after effects of regeneration.

Good episode though. I really like David Tennant. Also hope to see Jackie in future eps, though poor Mickey often seems like a third wheel pining after Rose.
        To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
          What bit was that? My damn head always empties after I've watched something
          Not sure if I have all the words correct, but it's something like "From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun. There's more to be seen than can ever be seen, more to do..."
          Ugh, I hate it. Looks like the rest of the fandom loved it, though. I guess I just don't like cheesy Disney references.

Comment

yes, but the cheesey Disney reference was very tongue in cheek, I felt. And was more than made up for by the nod to Douglas Adams, who - let's not forget - used to write for Dr. Who in the "old days when I were a lass"

Not so sure I agree with
            Spoiler:
            growing another hand, but at least that gave us a timeframe to work with, regarding the regeneration

As for Captain Jack - well, I wasn't really expecting him, but it would have been nice. And I'm another who believes that he was in the crashed ship 10 years ago. Whenever he does turn up, though, I hope he's still in Serious Leather.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

As for Captain Jack - well, I wasn't really expecting him, but it would have been nice. And I'm another who believes that he was in the crashed ship 10 years ago. Whenever he does turn up, though, I hope he's still in Serious Leather.
              Oh me too *Drool*

Comment

Speaking as a high-level Dr Who pedant, I loved it! There was almost nothing about it that I didn't love, from the killer tree to death by satsuma.

Spoiler-y bits

Spoiler:
                As to the issue of Harriet Jones' decision, I'm with the Doctor, 100%. Yes, have a defence; yes, use your defence; no, don't shoot a retreating foe in the back because you're pissed that you couldn't save your friends.

What it came down to wasn't whether the Sycorax would come back, or whether they were going to spread a warning or an invitation to the rest of the galaxy, but that the Sycorax leader killed two people in front of Harriet Jones and she wanted them to feel that helpless. Having the defence was a good call and if it had been up and running in time she would have been justified in using it against the Sycorax, but gunning down a defeated foe as they retreated was murder and the Harriet Jones who told the President he wasn't turning this into a war would not have done it. The fact that Harriet opted to threaten the Doctor instead of standing on the merits of her choice shows that she knew it as well.

That's my feeling, anyway, and I think it can only be a good sign that a science fiction show is generating such a difference of opinion.

And I thought Mickey was great, and it was good to see how naturally Rose turned to him, not for protection, but for comfort. We watched Rose when they repeated it on BBC4 and it was interesting to see how Mickey and Jackie have grown through the series. It's easy to see with Rose herself, but the recurring characters also change.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                  Are you guys down south scheduled to see this ep anytime soon?
                  Well I have just seen it *cough* and WOW loved it, David is brilliant. Um Australia's ABC has said nothing about screening the new series at all, I assume they will but I have sent an email to their programming department asking if they are going to show this episode anytime soon but they are bad with giving info too far ahead of their programming schedules. Shame as I know that Canada has screened the episode.

At least I have a cousin in the UK.

This was brilliant and makes me wish that SGA could get writers as good as Russell *oops did I say that?* and love the whole reference to Arthur Dent, Douglas Adams work on Dr Who is not forgotten.

Spoiler:
                  The PM and the end? PM - 0 Doctor Who - 100.
                  I didn't even mind Mickey in this episode and I have really begun to love Rose's Mum she is so matter-a-fact about everything and the Tea! Haha, yes we need Tea.

This episode was great and now I can't wait for the rest of the series, why oh why do we only get 13 episodes? I could easily watch 25 if this quality keeps up. Anyone know how much it cost to make it looked so good.

Comment

What I'd love to see is the Tardis land in Atlantis and have the Doctor storm out of the doors screaming "What the *Bleep* are you doing here, humanity shouldn't have got this far yet"

I smell FanFic coming on

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                      What I'd love to see is the Tardis land in Atlantis and have the Doctor storm out of the doors screaming "What the *Bleep* are you doing here, humanity shouldn't have got this far yet"

I smell FanFic coming on
                      oh wouldn't it be fab? RTD really should be writing for other shows... but then he wouldn't have time for Dr. Who so on reflection, we'll keep him busy with that.

Anyone know some good SG-1/Dr.Who or SGA/Dr.Who crossover fics?
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

It was pretty good. I can't wait for the episode featuring Buffy's Tony Head. I personally love the teleportation sequence, the effects were awesome (I want Animated Gifs of the the 3 sequences (I captured them, but they look like crap, it pause for like 20 frames and them starts moving again)).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                          oh wouldn't it be fab? RTD really should be writing for other shows... but then he wouldn't have time for Dr. Who so on reflection, we'll keep him busy with that.

I have some free time on my hands at work this week I'm sure I could be persueded, it'll be Doctor number 10 so my imagination can run riot seeing as we don't really know what he's like yet

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                            I have one, but it's actually a daydream (SG-1/DW crossover). SG-1 finds the Doctor and Rose on another planet (in the SG-1 universe).
                            sigpic

Comment

I have an idea of the Doctor and Rose landing on Atlantis' planet (Does it have a name?), having been there before he knows the city wasn't there previously and lands the Tardis in the city to investigate, coming face to face with Weir and her team

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                                I have an idea of the Doctor and Rose landing on Atlantis' planet (Does it have a name?), having been there before he knows the city wasn't there previously and lands the Tardis in the city to investigate, coming face to face with Weir and her team
                                and Rose drools over Sheppard (like most women who have been on Atlantis).
                                *does the creeped out face, since Abydos is a guy*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X