Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 121
  1. #61
    Lieutenant Colonel The Signal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The End of the Universe
    Posts
    4,281

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Will they release this as part of Season 2 (in the S2 box set) or as a single disk? I wouldnt mind it as a single disk 'cus the sets are like £60 and i dont wanna pay that much for one set.


    Woo Hoo, 800 posts!!!!!
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

  2. #62
    Captain
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,436

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    I think they'll release it as a standalone....after all it is an hour long and with extras would be enough to charge an average price.....hope so anyway.

  3. #63
    Major General Willow'sCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,202

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by PtahTheCreationGod
    lol Doctor Who is all about being corny, thats why the more serious 7t Doctor was less liked among long time who fans, and why the new series is liked so much, 'cus they went back to the old way of doing things
    What do you mean "less liked" Sylvester McCoy's Dr was liked by many, well me. You sure that it isn't the 6th Doctor you mean? He was very serious and moody and lead to the cancelling of the Series.

  4. #64
    Colonel Missster.Freeman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NCC-1701
    Posts
    6,575

    Lightbulb Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Aha, I've just got the Arthur Dent reference. D'OH! stupid me My lights are on, but no ones at home atm
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

  5. #65
    Colonel NowIWillDestroyAbydos's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    In your head, making you crazy
    Posts
    5,112

    Post Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by creed462
    Sounds great, does anyone know when the US release will be?
    No clue, but we'll be getting the Season 1 DVD in feburary, maybe it will have it, although I doubt it.

  6. #66
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Item 1) I've sent an email to the BBC regarding the release of the Christmas Invasion on DVD, so hopefully soon we should have an idea of whether or not it will be apart of the S2 boxset or stand-alone. Though seeing as though all of Series 1 was released individually as well as in boxset we can assumethe same can be said of Xmas Invasion. (Note, for those who dont know, Series 1 of Dr Who will be released on February 14th in the US)

    Item 2) As for it being released in the US, it wont be broadcast, but it may be released on DVD a few months after it has been released in the UK.

    Item 3) Harriett Jones' desicion... well, I completely disagree with it. For several reasons. Reason 1, they were shooting a fleeing enemy, that shows a total lack of honour. But reason 2, if that news ever extends outwards, the rest of the universe will view Earth as being a species without honour, a cunning and merciless species... Hardly what we should be viewed as. We could always have used the "big honking space gun" on the next alien race attack, not one that we've beaten and are fleeing, besides they may have actually told other aggressive species that we ARE defended...

    Item 4) As for Torchwood... I'm not sure I like them at all... cold, merciless *bleeps*, though I'm convinced the series itself will be excellent!

    Item 5) And as a last note, can you believe the President's demand to take control!? Bloody US Government! Still, at least Jones told him exactly where to go! The British can handle anything the US can! Doctor or no Doctor. We use big honking space guns... they use a virus. (independence day)


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  7. #67
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, England, UK
    Posts
    854

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    that bit with the american president im sure thayts exactly what would happen if it was real life did anyone else notice that the aliens looked a bit like the yuuzhan vong?

  8. #68
    Major Metarock Sam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Station 3 - The Swan
    Posts
    2,411

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by PtahTheCreationGod
    Will they release this as part of Season 2 (in the S2 box set) or as a single disk? I wouldnt mind it as a single disk 'cus the sets are like £60 and i dont wanna pay that much for one set.


    Woo Hoo, 800 posts!!!!!
    Knowing the bbc it will be released singularly first but it is officially the first episode of series 2 .(I checked on the special confidential they had in the series 1 boxset and all the autocues used in the production had Doctor Who II on them).
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

    Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

  9. #69
    Captain gopher65's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    I completely agreed with the Prime Minister for these reasons:

    1) The alien captain had just finished saying that he was willing to send an entire armada after earth. Umm.... yeah. That's a good reason to destroy them IMO.

    2) The Doctor says (paraphrased) "It really isn't worth it to send an armada after earth" and the alien guy doesn't say anything. The Doctor then defeats the alien captain in Hand to Hand combat, and tells him to run away with his tail between his legs. The captain agrees, and swears a holy oath. And *as soon* as the Doctor turn around he violates his promise. Doctor kills alien. The other aliens then see that The Doctor is serious in his threat and run away.

    3) Now the aliens are running away, but they have *just finished proving* that they are lying, cheating, scumbags who will stop at nothing to prove their own machoistic ways are superior. 5 minutes eariler they claimed to have a huge fleet. Hmmmmmm... huge fleet commanded by lying honourless people whom you just embarrassed the heck out of.... sounds to me like they will be back with a vengence.

    Therefore, the *only* logical course of action is to prevent them by any means avaliable from reporting back to their home base and bringing the rest of their fleet back.

    I for one thought The Doctor's reasoning was flawed and childish. It smacked of the old scifi tradition of a bad guy saying "You may have won this round, but I will hunt you down and kill you if it is the last thing I ever do!" and the good guy replying "get out of here before I change my mind about finishing you off". And of course 1 season (series) later that same bad guy comes back and tries to kill off the hero. Whatever. I hate it when the hero does that. It's just DUMB. Dumb hero= show that I turn off. That's why I liked firefly.

    EDIT: Other than that I liked the episode. Parts of it were a little tedious and boring (the first half hour especially), but The Doctor made up for that in his brief appearence toward the end. I was rather more impressed with David than I thought I would be.

  10. #70
    Major General Willow'sCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,202

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    I for one thought The Doctor's reasoning was flawed and childish.
    Well I see nothing "childish" in wanting his word (which is what it was) to be respected.

    And of course 1 season (series) later that same bad guy comes back and tries to kill off the hero. Whatever. I hate it when the hero does that. It's just DUMB. Dumb hero= show that I turn off. That's why I liked firefly.
    In Firefly you have Mal, a war weary, down trodden "Hero" he is one person who I would not like to have leading me or my Country because he has lost some of his humanity, we see glimpses of it but it has become more a burden to him, oddly The Doctor has it in spades still, despite of all he knows about humans.
    Last edited by Willow'sCat; January 4th, 2006 at 10:16 PM.

  11. #71
    Captain gopher65's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Here's my question to you:

    You just killed the captain of a powerful alien spacecraft and dishonoured his crew. They swear revenge against you. Do you:

    A) Let them run away and later return to kill you with an unstopable fleet, or
    B) Kill them

    The Doctor chose A for some inexplicable reason. I would never risk 6 billion lives (well, closer to 7 now) on the offchance that a bunch of criminals would keep their word. It just seems odd to me that the Doctor couldn't seem to understand that they might come back. Very.... irrational.

  12. #72
    Captain Ascended Times.2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Permanently stuck in a time dilation device.
    Posts
    1,803

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz
    Will any of the new eps star on other planets like some of the originals? or are they all Earth based again? I know off topic.
    No, they assured us fans there would be ALOT more outer-space episodes this time, maybe one or two more earth based episodes (They gotta get milk!)
    But generally more Universealy involved.

  13. #73
    Lieutenant Colonel Mr Prophet's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    Here's my question to you:

    You just killed the captain of a powerful alien spacecraft and dishonoured his crew. They swear revenge against you. Do you:

    A) Let them run away and later return to kill you with an unstopable fleet, or
    B) Kill them

    The Doctor chose A for some inexplicable reason. I would never risk 6 billion lives (well, closer to 7 now) on the offchance that a bunch of criminals would keep their word. It just seems odd to me that the Doctor couldn't seem to understand that they might come back. Very.... irrational.
    So my question is this: What programme were you watching? Sure, in that situation the choice would not have made sense, but that wasn't what happened.

    The Sycorax did not swear vengeance and the crew were not dishonoured; the only dishonoured guy was the captain, who broke his word of bond and suffered for it. If the rest of the Sycorax had wanted vengeance, they had a ship in orbit that no force on Earth - that they knew of - could stop and the Doctor and his friends on that ship, right in front of them; they had nothing to gain by letting them go and need not have done so had they any intention of going back on the outcome of the challenge en masse.

    Also, the Sycorax were not criminals. Unlike the family Slitheen they were clearly a warrior race with a proud - if pretty brutal - culture. From his reference to the sanctified rules of combat it seems likely that the Doctor knew, if not them, then at least the basic legal codes from which they derive their cultural strictures.

    The Sycorax clearly lived on that asteroid-ship as well. There was no fleet for them to gather; they were it.

    And the beat-all reason that he let them go was that he knew that Earth was getting noticed and that sooner or later, someone else would come along. Better to have the Sycorax telling people that the planet was defended by an invincible sorcerer with a fightin' hand and a satsuma than to just wait for the next guy to show up when he wasn't there.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

  14. #74
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    So my question is this: What programme were you watching? Sure, in that situation the choice would not have made sense, but that wasn't what happened.

    The Sycorax did not swear vengeance and the crew were not dishonoured; the only dishonoured guy was the captain, who broke his word of bond and suffered for it. If the rest of the Sycorax had wanted vengeance, they had a ship in orbit that no force on Earth - that they knew of - could stop and the Doctor and his friends on that ship, right in front of them; they had nothing to gain by letting them go and need not have done so had they any intention of going back on the outcome of the challenge en masse.

    Also, the Sycorax were not criminals. Unlike the family Slitheen they were clearly a warrior race with a proud - if pretty brutal - culture. From his reference to the sanctified rules of combat it seems likely that the Doctor knew, if not them, then at least the basic legal codes from which they derive their cultural strictures.

    The Sycorax clearly lived on that asteroid-ship as well. There was no fleet for them to gather; they were it.

    And the beat-all reason that he let them go was that he knew that Earth was getting noticed and that sooner or later, someone else would come along. Better to have the Sycorax telling people that the planet was defended by an invincible sorcerer with a fightin' hand and a satsuma than to just wait for the next guy to show up when he wasn't there.
    Thankyou! Brilliant reasoning there, especially the last bit about spreading the word...

    But for my note. It's all a matter of honour. If you don't have honour, what do you have?


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  15. #75
    Lieutenant Colonel Mr Prophet's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Huntingdon
    Posts
    3,933

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett
    Thankyou! Brilliant reasoning there, especially the last bit about spreading the word...

    But for my note. It's all a matter of honour. If you don't have honour, what do you have?
    Oh, absolutely that's a part of why he was so angry with Harriet; that and the fact that he has always hated the needless taking of life.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

  16. #76
    Lieutenant Colonel The Signal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The End of the Universe
    Posts
    4,281

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    I can imagine the Sycorax warning "his name was the Doctor, he wielded a weapon of great power, it was called 'Satsuma'"
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

  17. #77
    Major Metarock Sam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Station 3 - The Swan
    Posts
    2,411

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Not a a man a wizard in pyjamas !!!!
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

    Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

  18. #78
    First Lieutenant BritAngie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth,England
    Posts
    586

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho'srose
    What do you mean "less liked" Sylvester McCoy's Dr was liked by many, well me. You sure that it isn't the 6th Doctor you mean? He was very serious and moody and lead to the cancelling of the Series.

    What she said!

    Another Sylvester Mc Coy fan here.

  19. #79
    First Lieutenant BritAngie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portsmouth,England
    Posts
    586

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Just wanted to add to the "my wasn't that rather fantastic?" vote.

    Really enjoyed it and was glad to see David Tennant just slip into it so well. Really looking forward to the next series!

  20. #80
    Major General Reefgirl's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    Posts
    10,122

    Default Re: The Christmas Invasion (Post-viewing thread)

    Hi Angie, how's Pompey this evening, bloody cold in Gosport

Similar Threads

  1. Post Here If You Love The Christmas Season!!!
    By puddlejumper747 in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: December 25th, 2004, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •