X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no deleted scenes on the DVDs?

Why no deleted scenes on the DVDs?

I understand that a fair few stories have had scenes deleted so why are they not getting put on the DVds?
    WHy are there also no outakes or bloopers?
    These are often the best extras and I would love to be able to see them.

because, imho, it would take time. time to reedit the episodes, time to cull out the bloopers, time to put it all together.

and since time = money and money spent = less profit, it's not likely for them to do that
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

the official line is that theres not enough room on the DVDs, although this is something theyre trying to work into for the S10 ones

its a shame they cut the audio commentaries from the S8 DVDs as well, i loved those things
      - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

That is the main reason why I buy the DVD's to get the commentaries and bonus stuff like outtakes, and stuff. Sucks that they supposedly do not have the space....what with dual layer technology they should be able to afford it.
        All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
        Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
          the official line is that theres not enough room on the DVDs, although this is something theyre trying to work into for the S10 ones

its a shame they cut the audio commentaries from the S8 DVDs as well, i loved those things
          that seems like a pretty flimsy excuse now that they've got 20 eps instead of 22 on the same number of dvd's

sigpic

Comment

Yeah thats a pretty pathetic excuse, I would love deleted scenes and outakes etc
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

another reason that there arent deleted scenes from earlier seasons is because brad wright likes to keep them for their end of year parties, but now that hes not really attached to SG1 anymore, i dont know why they dont get released

and yeah its pretty stupid, but we're talking about sony/mgm, its to be expected

im more peaved about the audio commentaries than anything tbh

i mean, season 8. theyre down to 20 episodes on the same number of discs. there arent as many episodes of the director series, and theyve taken out the audio commentaries?? why?? surely there should be so much more room on these S8 dvds
              - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

personally i think it's less an issue of room and more an issue of not spending the time (money) to make specials adn re edit episodes

heck, even culling bloopers is a full time job for someone.

let's just play pretend and say that they shoot every scene with only two cameras. now if they work a 14 hour day then they probably have 4-6 hours of tape for each camera. which means that each day, some person would have to to through those 8-12 hours of video to find and pull out the bloopers. course, folks also want to get their hands on this stuff and really edit it, so you can't always risk those tapes being hurt (and if they're shooting on film, it has to be processed and developed)

basically you end up with there being more tape than a person could go through and it would take them all day to pull this stuff out

difficult job? no. but something they'd have to pay someone to do. and obviousy, not something skiffy/mgm/sony care about much

anyway, why should they up the content of the dvd's if folks are willing to and do pay the same amount of money to get less like they already are??? I don't nkow about you but i paid the same amount to buy 20 eps that i spent to buy 22 a couple of years ago

sigpic

Comment

Don't see what the point in watching deleted scenes is anyway...they're usually deleted for a good reason

There's just no point in wasting money & man power on them

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                    That is the main reason why I buy the DVD's to get the commentaries and bonus stuff like outtakes, and stuff. Sucks that they supposedly do not have the space....what with dual layer technology they should be able to afford it.
                    or just add another disc with all the extras they have on it.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
                    24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
                    Both heavily admined.

Comment

I would love to get my hands on some of this show's deleted scenes. I'm sure there are some awesome moments we as fans are missing out on. Imagine bloopers from an ep like "Window of Opportunity". You know those would be freaking hilarious.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadBob
                        or just add another disc with all the extras they have on it.
                        aint ever going to happen

if mgm/sony dont want to pay someone to cut together a blooper reel then they sure as hell arent paying for the production of a second DVD
                        - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

Don't see what the point in watching deleted scenes is anyway...they're usually deleted for a good reason
                          I'd have to disagree. I enjoy deleted scenes on movie DVDs and I find that only very rarely do I agree with the stated reason from the director as to why they were deleted. Same with alternate endings - I more often than not like the ending they deleted over the one they used. Directors are human, just like the rest of us - they're not always right. It's their perogative to choose what to delete, but that doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

As for SG1 - the deleted scenes that I've heard of (on commentaries) have been deleted for factors of time, rather than content. Where, for example, an episode has overrun and needs to be trimmed. There's one disk where whoever's doing the commentary (think it might be Michael Shanks talking about what had to be deleted out of Fallen) states that when time is an issue the first things that fall victim to the scissors are the quiet, character moments in favour of the action. One example I know of which was filmed, but later deleted, would be the rest of SG1 comforting Teal'c after Shaunac's death in Crossroads.

Since character moments are what I enjoy most, you can bet I'm rooting for some of those deleted scenes to be issued on DVD at some point! <g>

The story I've heard over the years is that they may produce a special DVD of bloopers/deletes at some point - perhaps when the show has finished. I'd certainly pay for that kind of DVD and I don't think I'm alone.

Albion
                          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I would like to see bloopers and deleted scenes as well. One scene that comes to mind is in the episode where Daniel comes back. At a convention I attended, I heard there was a scene with Daniel and Sam. Sam asks "why did you never come to see me?" ( Daniel visited Jack, and T'ealc ). Daniel's reply was "Because you never needed me." I don't know if it was shot or just scripted, but I would have liked to have seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k

Not enough room? Don't make me laugh... check the new Farscape - Starburst Edition to see how many extras ADV Films (independent DVD company) was able to include in this edition, and they added much more extras to already existing ones without removing anything what was released in previous editions).

Comment

Working...
                              X