X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sig Rules Clarification

Sig rules clarification

Since we have a lot of new folks, it's about time for a little clarification on the rules about signatures.

Sigs are a personal expression, and as such we're not going to mod the content beyond the rules of Gateworld Forum – the most basic of which is:

No spoilers for episodes not shown in US Syndication – an example of a spoiler is Divide and Conquer. A screen cap of Sam or Jack in the chair isn't a spoiler, but Sam cradling Martouf's body, that's a spoiler since it gives away a major plot point.

Content must be PG or below – something you would be comfortable letting your average 12 year old view

All content – both pictures and text cannot take up more than 200 pixels tall by 700 pixels wide (which is approximately 2.75 inches x 9.75 inches, or 7cm x 24.5 cm)

Content must also abide by the 'Respect Others' rule of Gateworld

All graphics must not be of a file size larger than 50K, be they jpeg, gif, png or any other extension

You cannot hotlink to an image unless you have the permission of the site's owner unless it's on a free server such as Imageshack.

The 200x700 guideline is NOT a limit for each element in your sig, rather it is the TOTAL space to be taken up by your sig. And by total space, we mean any combination of text &/or pictures you wish to use.

As a general rule, we haven't been too fussed about text sigs in the past that have exceeded the sig rules, largely because text does not usually have an effect on download time. However, there are quite a few folks around here whose sigs are several times larger than the rules allow.

Because of this we are asking folks to please check the size on their sigs and shrink them down if needed. A sig should be a short expression of yourself, not an essay.

I have attached a sample box showing the size of a sig and some examples of just how many lines of text will fit within that box. Please bear in mind that every font is a bit different, so there's no hard and fast rule, these are guidelines.

If you have any questions, please pm me or another mod.
    Attached Files
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

I was wondering when this issue would be bought up...

All I can say is it's about time...whilst I know most newer members probably aren't aware of these rules, there are people here who've been around longer than I have who just choose to flout them...

*Checks own siggie*

Legal...just...
    Last edited by knocknashee; 20 December 2005, 05:25 PM.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

This is one rule I don't have to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
        I was wondering when this issue would be bought up...

All I can say is it's about time...whilst I know most newer members probably aren't aware of these rules, there are people here who've been around longer than I have who just choose to flout them...

*Checks own siggie*

Legal...just...
        We run into this issue every time a whole slew of newbies registers for the forum. I remember the last time we had "your sig is too big" issue, and that was when i was on dial-up. Now with DSL, it's not a big deal, but i'm still considerate of the dial-up users, as everyone needs to keep in mind that not all gaters can afford broadband connections.

Comment

As far as text sigs go, don't you have the ability on this forum to set a limit on the amount of words and/or character used in a sig? The other forum I hang out in does. If you try and type in a sig that has more words than the limit it just tells you you can't. Problem solved.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
            As far as text sigs go, don't you have the ability on this forum to set a limit on the amount of words and/or character used in a sig? The other forum I hang out in does. If you try and type in a sig that has more words than the limit it just tells you you can't. Problem solved.
            I know on the SG-1 Archive Forum, they have a limit on how big your sig can be.
            sigpic

Comment

How's my sig? Is it too busy? Should I cut it down?
              sigpic
              Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson
                How's my sig? Is it too busy? Should I cut it down?
                I personally think that you should cut it down.
                sigpic

Comment

Sue, Abydos' pic is 200 pixels tall, so compare the space his pic takes up to the space your sig takes up. And also, Abydos' text also exceeds the limit. 200 pixels tall is the total of what folks should have
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    Sue, Abydos' pic is 200 pixels tall, so compare the space his pic takes up to the space your sig takes up. And also, Abydos' text also exceeds the limit. 200 pixels tall is the total of what folks should have
                    I know that.
                    sigpic

Comment

You know it but you don't change it and then you criticize others for having a sig you think is too large? Or was that a facetious "I know" as you hurry off to correct your mistake before the mods correct it for you?

*envisions the mods chasing Aby with a giant pair of hedge clippers*

Or maybe a vorpal blade going snicker-snack.
                      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 23 December 2005, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I'm currently strinking my sig right now, so I can hopefully have a legal sig
                        sigpic

Comment

I've cut mines down...but is it still too big????
                          sigpic
                          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                            I've cut mines down...but is it still too big????
                            I think both of ours is fine now (I just stunk mine)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              O.K so for us poor idiots who are still coming to terms with things like um, computers. Can you post an example of the correct size sig space? Anyone really?

I have re sized mine as I added text to it yesterday it is now (image under 700 by 130 ) Text number 1 size font 1 line. Is this legal?

Comment

Working...
                              X