Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower (215)

Default Re: The Tower (215)

of course the only reason for this episode to exist is because of the constant blowing up of puddle jumpers, and the fact that atlantis will need drones for one future episode (or maybe the puddle jumpers will need drones, and if they had had drones we would have gone "wait a sec, if the puddle jumpers had their own seperate supply of drones, whey didn't they transfer the drones to the city in The Seige?).

Anyway, just a filler/resupply episode. The single interesting moment was when Ronan killed and injured those guards. I don't like Ronan in general, but that was neat.

the episode was written by paul mullie in one or two days, Joe once mentionned it in his blog

ep wasn't as bad as expected, not that is was great, it was ok, I think

it was an ok ep Ronon was cool and we found out that Shep might as well be half acient an since he was practicly a Wraith hes part humen wriath and Acniet
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together

Captain

Okay, my two main thoughts on this episode:

1) John, you just got laid two or three eps ago; you can't be that desperate. We needed to see him put her back in her robe and pack her back to her room, because the "you find my genes sexy, that's nice, buh-bye now" scene could have been really funny.

*Corollary to thought 1: Can someone besides John get some for once? Teyla's been trading in this galaxy for years; why can't she have an off-world booty call?

2) Obviously someone has not been paying attention to the first rule of royal intrigue: Never trust the loyal advisor/councillor(sp?)/grand vizier. It's just a bad idea. C'mon John, you've seen Aladdin; you know how it goes down (yeah, Otho was giving off some Jafar vibes there).

Okay, that's done.

All in all, kind of a meh episode. I didn't hate it and I wasn't praying for it to end, but nothing in it really grabbed me; this isn't really one that I'll be compelled to re-watch.

Ronon fight scene: Jason Momoa gave good fight intensity there. I kind of wanted to see Teyla take the fight, because when the guards are picking on a woman, I want to see a woman beat them into the ground; but it was more in character for Ronon to do it.

I really would have rather seen John act professional and suspicious than fall for the "pretty girl = good guy" thing. Oh well, in a couple of episodes maybe I'll have bad-a** John again.

Add me to the "I hated it" list. I just got really, really bored. Farscape used an incredibly similar plot in "Look at the Princess" (hero gets dragged into a marriage because he's the only one genetically compatible and can prevent the evil brother from taking over) and they did it a lot better. I don't often watch an Atlantis episode and get bored, but this one did it to me. Especially on the heels of great episodes over the last few weeks, this one just looks that much more sub-par. And yes, the Sheph0r plot is getting really old, really fast. Hell, it was old by the end of Sanctuary. At least Epiphany had really good elements to balance it out.

I think the two highlights for me were:
    -"Sorry, wee man." Ooooooh! Burned by Carson!!
    -The balcony scene at the end. Cute, and I like that we've got a new source of drones and jumpers now. And it's been awhile since we've had a good balcony scene between the two of them!
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    "Sorry, wee man." Ooooooh! Burned by Carson!!

That reminds me. At that point it's already been established that the son didn't murder the father. So why leave him locked in a cell in a building that is known to be structurally unsound? Is it just because he's an unknown variable and can't be trusted? Or did they just leave him in there because he's a jerk? 'Cause from all other behaviour in the ep, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by starfox
    That reminds me. At that point it's already been established that the son didn't murder the father. So why leave him locked in a cell in a building that is known to be structurally unsound? Is it just because he's an unknown variable and can't be trusted? Or did they just leave him in there because he's a jerk? 'Cause from all other behaviour in the ep, I'm leaning towards the latter.
    I'd have to go back and rewatch, but from the impression I got, Tavius was still in on the plan to take over. I don't know that he neccessarily wanted to kill his father, but I think he was still in on a plan for a coup, and that's why Carson left him there. Either that or he did it just to keep him out of the way.
    "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
    My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Chief Master Sergeant

What I really dont understand is why they keep doing the psycho edits in the second half of the season.

I mean this is another one of those episodes where your (kind of) in the middle of the story then ---> BAM! We fixed the problem! Episode over you can all go home now.

They basically keep trying to fit 2+ plots into a single episode.

So with this episode the plots were as follows:
    1) John in the tower with Hottie err princess
    2) Mckay in the city with his little villager friend
    3) Ronon and Teyla and their fighting side show in the village

None of the plots we're fully realized though. We find out NOTHING about the city - not even the name. The village scenes with the alien twins (aka Ronon and teyla) seem nothing more than a way to include them in the episode.

I have to say I agree with many others this was definitely a really weak episode. While its has its moments, it is definitely up there with childhoods end and ephinany as one of the worst episodes so far.

<sigh>

No more lantis for Canadians until January 2nd. Luckily this looks to be one of the good ones - The long goodbye...

In Canada we are definitely in the home stretch though - all the remaining episodes look to be the "lets wow them for next year" ones so they should all be good.

So... The rest of the season is gonna be Teyla-lite, Weir-lite and Ronon-lite, eh?

Fantastic.

Love Shep, love McKay... But this is getting pretty ridiculous.

So... The rest of the season is gonna be Teyla-lite, Weir-lite and Ronon-lite, eh?

Fantastic.

Chief Master Sergeant

just watched it... for the first time ever used the FF button on a stargate episode... bad costumes( was there a sale on shakespeare AND German Nazi costumes), bad acting, and really glossed over the whole 2nd city thing.... and PLEASE no more "villages". I'd rather see a CGI city or town then the same ol huts on dirt.

Not an unmitigated disaster... This episode was no where near as boring as Childhood's End or as annoying as Sanctuary. I liked it for what it was... a romp around the neighbourhood. But what really saved it for me was the presence of Peter Woodward... *sigh*... "I missed thee Galen", one of the great things about the short-lived Crusade.

The French Revolution, the Tower was not, however, I was amused by the Atlantis redux... interesting idea that there would be more than one those "ships" lurking about in the Pegasus galaxy. I was greatly amused to see 18th century furnishings and ornaments covering that Atlantis set, harem and all.
    Also amusing was Rodney poking around underground, alternating between fear and bravado. Not so amusing was yet another alien woman of the week throwing herself at Sheppard. This is getting rather tiresome... methinks...

There's a cheesiness about it that reminds me of classic Dr Who... The Doctor comes into a situation... there's dictator/or oppressive government... using his cunning and ingenuity... he overthrows the oppressive government and voila... viva la revolution! There is perhaps a hint of a parallel between the decadence and fall of the Bourbons and the royal bloodline of The Tower.

And yes, the knife scene between Sheppard and Otho (?) had resonances of Hamlet...
    "No medicine in the world can do thee good;
    In thee there is not half an hour of life;
    The treacherous instrument is in thy hand,
    Unbated and envenomed. The foul practice
    Hath turn'd itself on me; lo! here I lie,"

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Captain

Hamlet, hmm? Actually it does, now that I think about it. I was getting more of a Dune vibe, though (the last scene in the throne room/hall, which I would quote if I had a copy remotely near me right now). Maybe I was just thinking Dune because of the odd orange-y lighting for the outside bits (did anyone else see that, or is my ep just a weird copy?).

Second Lieutenant Quinn Mallory's Avatar

It was entertaining but borderlined on trite to make this a great episode. I think the setup is good but everything sort of got rushed.

I also thought Sheppard's going for the girl a bit odd (I guess since he slept with her he thought he was responsible to take care of him).

Otherwise, the over-the-top costumes and acting added to the humour of the episode for me. In the long term, this is probably one of the more forgettable episode of season 2, except for the implication that other Atlantis-like city may still exist.
    I just love shows about wormholes!

I totally reversed my expectations and loved the ep. It was purely meant to be cheesy and yet had a few really great moments. Like with Shep and Otho.

I love watching Shep kiss seeing as how I'm not a Shipper and there is NO CANON SHIP so...Shep is free to kiss as many women as he likes and I like watching. He didn't boink her anyway so...go for it Shep. LOL

I loved Shep getting goosed. I loved the team moments in the beginning.

I loved Carson and shep bits.. Loved Shep fighting.

The Shep and Weir moment at the end was rushed but cute. John was so proud of himself for resisting SEX and the chance to be King. LOL

Liked Ronon killing that jerk guard guy too. Shocking but he so deserved it. Pig.

I was entertained and didn't feel the need to fast forward but once. So great ep for me. Especially since Mallozzi pretty much said forget getting anything on Shep. Which...DUH...he's not Marysue-Mckay so I'm catching on.

Heart Re: The Tower (215)

Quote Originally Posted by the dancer of spaz

Fantastic.

It should be Weir-lite, since she's basically in the role of a General Hammond, but I agree it shouldn't be Teyla and Ronon-lite, since they are part of the team and we should be seeing the team working together. Certainly, Teyla and Ronon have become interesting characters with untapped potential. We need more of them and more Sheppard background, to round out the foursome as they go on adventures. They're a great group.

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    And yes, the knife scene between Sheppard and Otho (?) had resonances of Hamlet.
    Plot sounds more Lear-ish than Hamlet-y, apart from that one bit.
    Disheartening to read so many negative reviews of the second half of season two. I hope things pick up with the next episode.

Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar

One question. How many jumpers and how many drones do we get? I'm asking for numbers here.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by freyr's mother
    One question. How many jumpers and how many drones do we get? I'm asking for numbers here.
    Couldn't tell exactly but they suggested a full bay of jumpers but really only showed about four of them. As for the number of drones, they didn't say the number either but when Rodney found them he didn't seem too impressed with how many there were. From the limited shot of the drone chamber I got the impression that there were several hundred drones.

Cheers
    "You're giving me the its not you its me routine? I invented its not you its me. If its anybody its ME!"

Post Re: The Tower (215)

I think it was meant to be a bad episode in a sense. Almost a parody of itself. It was like the writers were like ' okay what do write this week?' and someone said 'well if its gonna suck, lets make it suck bad' Sometimes and i mean sometimes, they can pull off a show by doing the whole cliched fairytale thing. (Ever see Farscape John Quixote ep? no?)

I found it hilarious at times. (Well for starters i know the costumes were awful, the characters were cliche etc etc) but i kind of think it meant to be that way.

Highlight for me:

-Shep gettting pinched on the butt in the dinner scene and his face jsut afterwards was hilarious.

-the whole kissing of the girl....um......what did i say again?...um......did you just say ruler? and her pushing him onto the bed. Also the 'i never see this coming' remark felt like a joke to me. Like he was saying yeah this is all cliche, so in this ep i kiss the girl again.
    How do i get myself into these situations?

-his little stumble when him and carson get put in the cell. Dont know why but it made me chuckle.

-the end bit with weir. He didnt have sex with that girl - he didnt, he didnt he didnt- and if i say it enough times it will come true. right?

Okay so yeah it was a bad ep but had some humour at least. Some have said it was a filler ep and im inclined to agree. They need supplies for obvious upcoming battles and such.

General

Plot's a little cliche
    Ortho(?) was pretty good, surprised me when he became the bad guy
    "Drone reveal" very well done
    Shakespear thing very very annoying.
    Nice to see more locations in the Ancient City, even if it's not Atlantis itself

Overall...not too bad, but not too great either.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast