Lack of progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of progression

I truly love Lost and have never missed an episode, but is the lack of progression in the storyline fustrating anyone else like it's starting to do to myself?.

I don't mind the flashbacks so much (although it does get tiresome sometimes) but it seems like we will get 3 or 4 new episodes and not much happens to progress the storyline. I understand that the premise of the show limits how fast they can progress the story because they want the series to last. I just seem to be losing some interest. Maybe I should do what I did for season I, not watch it till it comes out on DVD or record them all on Tivo before watching, then I can sit down and feel satisfied by watching a handful of episodes at once.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

yer i know what you mean, i was watching Lost Wednesday night and i found by the end of it nothing much had really happened, iam still watching season 1, don't know how far it is till the end tho.

Comment

Are novels 4 pages long?
      No.
      Because the story requires setup and execution.

How long did it take the SGC to defeat the Goa'uld to within a strand considered as defeat? 8 seasons.

How long was the Korean War? Certainly not the 10+ seasons (years) M*A*S*H got out of it - because there was alot to be told.

LOST is slated to last at least 5-6 seasons.
      If they answer every question, and tie every loose end, and basically explain the entire premise of the show RIGHT NOW - what's the point?

Season 2 is no different than season 1 in terms of progression really.

How about you just enjoy the show?

Comment

Yeah, its only the second season.
        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Yer, if they answer too much too fast they will ruin it, and if you think about i, we are actually going backwards in what we know, for every answer we get 2 new questions. This will take years to clear up, and i have a feeling we will never know everything about Lost
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
            Yer, if they answer too much too fast they will ruin it, and if you think about i, we are actually going backwards in what we know, for every answer we get 2 new questions. This will take years to clear up, and i have a feeling we will never know everything about Lost
            and that's what makes it so awesome.

Comment

I'm not too bothered by the 'slowness' -- just as long as they answer some questions we all wonder about; however this can backfire and become annoying if they drag it too long before we get some answers.
              Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

Originally posted by Kensterman
                I'm not too bothered by the 'slowness' -- just as long as they answer some questions we all wonder about; however this can backfire and become annoying if they drag it too long before we get some answers.
                Thats exactly my point, the line between when people start losing interest in very fine. If they don't progress the show a little faster I am just going to wait till the DVD's come out then watch them in progression then.

And to you Morbo, I do enjoy the show even though I think there dragging it out. I was'nt bashing the quality of the show or the writing (thinks you did'nt read my first post when I started this thread very carefully). I just wish it would move along a little faster.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Well I happen to agree with you Fifth Race. I love Lost, but particularly early in the season I felt that the episodes simply weren't going anywhere. It seemed as if a lot happened in an episode and yet nothing at all happened. In others words, the was a lot of action perhaps, but we didn't get any progression of the overall storyline. We didn't get any questions answered or at least developed more. I understand it's only the second season. Yes the show needs time. However, if you are going to continue to introduce many new stories and questions you need to resolve some standing ones first. If you don't, you end up with a confusing and convoluted mess. I'm not saying Lost is in this realm or that it will venture into it, but I have concerns.

Let's hope we get more solid story progression when the new episodes begin again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee
                    Well I happen to agree with you Fifth Race. I love Lost, but particularly early in the season I felt that the episodes simply weren't going anywhere. It seemed as if a lot happened in an episode and yet nothing at all happened. In others words, the was a lot of action perhaps, but we didn't get any progression of the overall storyline. We didn't get any questions answered or at least developed more. I understand it's only the second season. Yes the show needs time. However, if you are going to continue to introduce many new stories and questions you need to resolve some standing ones first. If you don't, you end up with a confusing and convoluted mess. I'm not saying Lost is in this realm or that it will venture into it, but I have concerns.

Let's hope we get more solid story progression when the new episodes begin again.
                    Well said Vee!, you put much more eloquently than I did

I kind of felt this way about the first season of BSG, they did'nt progress the story as they were introducing more and more plot-lines, arcs, characters....etc....and my interest waned (IMHO season II is much better on BSG). Hopefully Lost will pick up in the second half of season II, there is so much potential for this show to be even better.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                      I don't mind the flashbacks so much (although it does get tiresome sometimes) but it seems like we will get 3 or 4 new episodes and not much happens to progress the storyline.

Thats exactly the reason why I stopped watching.
                      It is just far too slow for my liking.
                      Ses
                      James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Well, let's hope season 2 changes things and they are listening in on their fans. Well, it'll be really bad for the show if the producers don't change the style of the show and it better be soon. I'm having faith that things will be better, so I'll continue to watch (for now).
                        Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

guys season 2 has already been shot. they aren't going to reshoot episodes for this season because a small group of people don't think its progressing fast enough.

be realistic.

the show is amazing as it is. they aren't going to just spew everything out for you, because like i said, then the show wouldn't last for 5 seasons.

What if jack bauer caught the bad guys in the 2nd hour of the show? What about the other 22 hours?

season 2 really is NO different than season 1 is. I'm willing to bet most of you watched the DVDs straight through for seaosn 1, which is completely different that watching it week to week.
                          even if you didn't, i don't know why you'd suddenly think it was different.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                            guys season 2 has already been shot. they aren't going to reshoot episodes for this season because a small group of people don't think its progressing fast enough.
                            What? No one asked them to re shoot anything. I have reservations about where the show might be going. I haven't seen the rest of season two since it hasn't aired yet. So unless I have a time machine I don't know about, I haven't come to the conclusion that they need to re shoot something I haven't watched.

I respect your opinion and as I said before I do love Lost, but that doesn't mean the show is completely without fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo

be realistic.

the show is amazing as it is. they aren't going to just spew everything out for you, because like i said, then the show wouldn't last for 5 seasons.

What if jack bauer caught the bad guys in the 2nd hour of the show? What about the other 22 hours?

season 2 really is NO different than season 1 is. I'm willing to bet most of you watched the DVDs straight through for seaosn 1, which is completely different that watching it week to week.
                              even if you didn't, i don't know why you'd suddenly think it was different.
                              What are you talking about Morbo, Like Vee said NO ONE has said re-shoot episodes, you seem to have a problem with anyone critical of BSG.

IMHO season II is different than season I in that they have streamlined the show somewhat. They are'nt concentrating on as many different storylines which has made the show better.

I do watch the show week to week (not sure what your complaint means about this?.)

It's called opinion's Morbo, people have them and if you disagree then thats your right. But your attempts to convince people that the show is greatest (which it seem's you believe) does'nt fly with me.
                              Last edited by the Fifth Race; 30 December 2005, 05:43 AM.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                              X