This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S7-10 people vs vfx

heres something ive never really understood...

ive been listening to quite a few audio commentaries, and michael greenburg, martin wood and michael shanks have all said that this show is about "ordinary people in extraordinary situations" and that SG-1 is not about big epic space battles. This is more a show about the people and their relationship

ive always always agreed with that. the team dynamic and relationship is probably the most important thing about this show, so what I dont understand is why even when some of TPTB, actors and directors, feel that way, the show from roughly S7 onwards, has still been more about the vfx, the big space ships and technology?

this isnt really an anti s10 or s9 thread, it just seems weird that the cast and crew feel one way about what this show is, and then go and produce something thats the complete opposite?
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

I guess it's how you interpret Seasons 7 and onwards. I don't think they focus on SFX at all. Sure they may have more, but that's just TPTB taking advantaged of the decreasing price and growing quality of the thing.

Comment

VFX techniques have got better, cheaper, faster and easier over the past ten years. Think about the computers you have today versus the ones you had ten, five or even two years ago. You get more for your dollar now. So even if the writers give no more attention to VFX, and even if the producers still give VFX the same budget for a s9 ep as they got for an equivalent s4 ep, the computer VFX teams will be able to come up with something more dramatic or bigger.

I haven't noticed a great deal of VFX in s9, other than the lights the priors make and the great big thingys in Beachhead, but Beachhead's story really benefitted from those FX

Madeleine

Comment

The storylines havnt really dropped (though there have been some bad eps in the last 3 seasons ) so we needn't worry over the VFX at the moment, not really, if they can do it with success and without cutting too much from the budget.
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Though I don't want to start anything, I do wish to point out that despite the VFX getting better in Stargate it still pails compared to those in DS9 (and a few other SciFi shows). I suppose network Sci-Fi series do have a much larger budget though. Sure there have been a few short "Space Battles" in Stargate but they are really nothing compared to how many space battles (quantity and quality) and other crazy vfx situations exist in other sci-fi shows. TPTB are correct, even to this day, that Stargate is more about the people/extrordinary situations then the VFX and Space Battles.

Comment

i know what you mean about vfx getting better, thats a natural progression of the world of technology. but im not really talking about the quality of the fx, just the inclusion of more because of this advancement.

I personally dont believe that we should write more vfx stories just because its cheaper to do them now than it was before. but in S7, there do seem to be a lot of big space episodes, and im not sure why considering some of the cast and crew would prefer to focus more on the characters
            - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
              i know what you mean about vfx getting better, thats a natural progression of the world of technology. but im not really talking about the quality of the fx, just the inclusion of more because of this advancement.

I personally dont believe that we should write more vfx stories just because its cheaper to do them now than it was before. but in S7, there do seem to be a lot of big space episodes, and im not sure why considering some of the cast and crew would prefer to focus more on the characters
              I can agree with you there.

Comment

I think (correct me if I'm wrong), only Space Race and Grace had a lot of space in them. I don't count the season premier/middle two parter/finale since they are pretty much expected to be like that.

Comment

Working...
                X