Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More crossovers: Good idea? Bad idea? (possible spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More crossovers: Good idea? Bad idea? (possible spoilers)

I've been feeling a bit guilty about hijacking Albion's thread about Gateworld's latest poll, so I figured I'd start a new thread to discuss the possibility of MASSIVE crossovers between SG-1 and Atlantis.

GatetheWay found a quote from Rob Cooper saying...

Originally posted by Rob Cooper
    We try to incorporate as much crossover as we can, and, yes, there are plans for more — maybe a lot more.
    Gate might be able to tell you what interview/article that snippet is taken from, but it only emphasizes some of the hints Joe has thrown at us in his Q&A thread and the comments Amanda made about how her character will be crossing over periodically (or maybe a LOT).

I'm curious to see how people feel about this. Personally, I'm all for the occasional crossover, but I'd really prefer that they be few and far between.

When Atlantis was first conceived, it was supposed to be a spin-off of SG-1. Originally, it was figured that it would continue after SG-1's conclusion in season 6/7/8, but instead the shows are running parallel and I think it's hurting them both.

Atlantis may have started off as a "new and different" look into the Stargate universe, but I think that its originality is being worn away bit by bit and from the sound of things, it has now become a way to dump characters out of the way for a while (poor Sam). It also sounds as if TPTB are going out of their way to bind the two shows together with MORE crossovers instead of less and I can't help thinking that it's either because Atlantis is suffering... or SG-1 is... and they figure they can drum up interest by having SG-1 characters pop up on Atlantis and vice versa.

Is this the genuine plan of TPTB or is it some marketing scheme by SCIFI? I don't know and frankly, at this point, I don't care. All I know is that Atlantis seems to be in danger of becoming SG-1 Lite.

I watch Atlantis. I DO NOT watch SG-1 and while, as I said, the occasional crossover is to be expected, I think they've already overplayed that card and I resent being forced to watch SG-1 instead of Atlantis- however cutesy they get with the "Oh, but it isn't the main characters" crap.

I love the characters and the stories on Atlantis. I understand that the base is an Earth outpost and has to answer to Earth authorities, but that doesn't mean I have to be visually reminded of it in every other ep.

I want Atlantis to be the "new and different" show that we were promised. I want to become involved with the situations and characters on that show. I emphatically DO NOT want SG-1 stuffed down my throat when I'm supposed to be watching Atlantis.

Joe has said that crossovers (such as Sam being in Atlantis) allow for a deeper exploration of the existing characters, but somehow, I have a really hard time believing that that's what will happen. Maybe it's because TPTB have shafted us so many times on so many other fronts that I no longer believe the platitudes and promises they spew at us.

I say get rid of Atlantis as a separate show and make a 2-hour extravaganza called Stargate Command. A majority of the spotlight can stay on SG-1, where it apparently belongs, and then just for laughs we can see how things are going in Atlantis with those other, less important characters who aren't SG-1.

Am I overreacting? Will all these potentially huge crossovers only bring goodness and light to both shows? Or are the producers taking it too far? How much is TOO much and at what point does Atlantis cease to be its own entity?

Yes, I know it's only "theoretical" and "possible" right now and I sincerely hope that this IS all for nothing and that the amount of crossovers won't increase significantly. But as I said, I think there have been too many already and I just have this bad, sinking feeling that TPTB are trying to hype up the idea of lots of crossover for a reason.

What do YOU think?

EDIT: And since people can't seem to read this very carefully, allow me to make myself abundantly clear- I am not talking about the occasional one to two eps per season. I'm talking about FIVE OR MORE CROSSOVERS PER SEASON. Frequent, not occasional.
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 18 December 2005, 11:52 AM. Reason: clarity

I completely and utterly disagree with you.

From my POV, TPTB have not shafted us, and there was only 2 occasions where there is significant crossover (I don't count Rising since it started there), and one of them was all fake.

Atlantis now has communications with Earth, and it's one big program. It is expected that there are crossovers. However, we need to define what significant crossover means. One or two per season? Half a season? What is it?

Comment

Excellent post Shadow. Very well said.

I agree with you to an extent. I feel the two shows should be seperatefor the most part. BUT it would be unreasonable to presume that members of the two flagship teams would not occasionally run into each other, as they are all pretty much the best, and sometimes the best need to work together.

I think that, so long as crossovers are done well (and not some gimmick to get the 'massively superior SG-1' to rub it in the noses of the Atlantis expedition, for example), they are welcome. I don't mind seeing an SG-1 member on Atlantis (or vice versa) once, or possibly twice a season (i don't include Landry in this, as he is unlikely to be cast in a 'heroic' role in an episode). I WOULD NOT, however like to see a long episodic arc concentrating on a major SG-1 character to the detriment of Atlantis characters ... development of SG-1 characters should happen on SG-1, not Atlantis.

As for minor SG-1 characters (ones that have shown up once or twice, such as say Woolsey, or Hayes). I don't mind if they show up on either show, if they share a common role in the two. Atlantis and SG-1 are part of the overall Stargate programme after all, so there really should be the odd links - it keeps up continuity.

Finally, I wouldn't want any main SG-1 charachter to be dumped into Atlantis because TPTB want to keep the character about, but don't know what to do with them. That is detrimental and insulting to the Atlantis cast, and the character who is moved.

As yet, however i can't complain with the amount of crossovers that have occurred, or are due to occur, and feel TPTB are doing a good job.

God. That was longer than i meant.
      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I want Atlantis to remain a show of its own. I don't like crossovers. I really would perfer SGA lose its tie with Earth like in the first season and go on its own. I thought there was more character building in season 1 then there is in season 2. Poor Sheppard has gone all this time with too little development and I really like his character. I find him easy to idetify with.

Between the wraith and the ori, bringing the two shows together could cause a big mess. Imagine trying to keep that type of show with continuity and not losing the character side of the story.
        "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
        'Eleanor Roosevelt'
        Individuality is freedom lived.
        'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
          However, we need to define what significant crossover means. One or two per season? Half a season? What is it?
          Half a season or more. One or two eps I could probaly handle (as I've handled the ones so far), but when it gets to the point where SG-1 characters essentially have recurring roles on Atlantis, that's a bit much for me.

Comment

Well then, I guess we do agree on something.

That would indeed be a bit too much.

Comment

Wow, that's mouthful Shadow (seriously). All I care about is a couple of crossovers per season (both shows), and a giant Crossover for SG-1's 200th episode.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm for 1 - 3 crossovers a year...preferrably only one... and I don't want to see Sam and McKay at each crossover...I think Daniel and McKay would be MUCH funnier
                sigpic
                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Half a season or more. One or two eps I could probaly handle (as I've handled the ones so far), but when it gets to the point where SG-1 characters essentially have recurring roles on Atlantis, that's a bit much for me.
                  Im with ya there shadow
                  The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

I think that, if and when, SG-1 is no longer renewed for another year, maybe one of the SG-1 characters could be cast in a recurring role to the Atlantis. I would enjoy that, and most of all I would like that one person to be Carter, because she can really add something spiffy to whole Atlantis expedition. But that's only a thought, and it would work *only* if it's executed well. Like they did in DS9 for example, they brought that klingon whateverhisnamewufwufworfdwarf was.

Anyway, I concur with some of the points Mr. Shadow said there. But one character could be moved from SG-1 to Atlantis as a recurring or maybe as an regular in my opinion. Because quite frankly, the Stargate SG-1 as it is now, or should I say Fargate Moya-1, is boring as heck. Not to mention that when CB joins the regular cast in season 10...
                    In the fullness of time. Expect me when you see me.

Comment

Actually, I'm a Ms. And if a character is making a permanent move from one series to another, that's one thing. But to use certain characters as a constant bridge between the two shows, to find ways to irrevocably tie the two programs together... No thanks.

SG-1 is the albatross around Atlantis's neck. I think it's time to cut the cord.

Comment

I'm in the....just wait and see mode.

As I've said in other posts, I can see both shows as independent of each other in the sense that either one could produce a good quality show on its own without the other being around.

However, I've always seen the shows as connected as well......even without the crossovers. SGA was suppose to be about finding Atlantis and learning as much as possible about the ancients. So far, there's been very little substance about the ancients or the city, but plenty about the wraith who defeated the ancients, who amazingly we still know very little about at this time (the wraith that is). However, this season of SG-1 is about nothing other than learning more about the ancients (and another possible enemy of theirs).

It seems almost necessary to watch one show to completely grasp the other without missing out on anything. This works both ways however, it is not just SGA leaning on SG-1, but SG-1 leaning on SGA as well. You do not need actual actor crossovers for the connection of the shows to exist.

I think as long as both shows are running, they will continue to play off each other as TPTB see fit. Time will tell how it all plays out. If it turns out to be a mistake, hopefully it is one that will be caught in time before damage is done to either or both shows. Then again, it might be one of the most clever ploys devised. Perhaps Stargate can have a night all to itself with three shows back to back...each different, only the same I still like and watch SG-1, so it does not bother me as much that the stories tie together.

Comment

Well, I tend to agree with Shadow. I'd rather not see crossovers. I really don't watch SG-1 much anymore. And I'll admit that I simply don't want to worry about following SG-1 in order to grasp what's going on in Atlantis.

However, my main problem is that once Sg-1 is off the air, will Atlantis be able to continue without it? It should be able to, right? I just don't think it will be its own show if it continues to venture into SG-1 territory. It had wonderful parents in SG-1, but now its time for Atlantis to get a job and move out of the house. I'm concerned SGA would not continue after SG-1 ends as long as we are constantly reminded what bosom companions they are. It started off from SG-1, fine. But it should be developing less crossovers in order to become its own show. Not more. Otherwise I can't see it realistically surviving post-SG-1. How does someone with a broken leg walk after you talk away the crutch?

Comment

Originally posted by Vee
                            However, my main problem is that once Sg-1 is off the air, will Atlantis be able to continue without it? It should be able to, right? I just don't think it will be its own show if it continues to venture into SG-1 territory.
                            Exactly. It SHOULD. And if the producers could be bothered to continue developing the whole "new and different" thing and going to better lengths to make Atlantis UNIQUE instead of tying it tighter and tighter to SG-1... *sigh*

The other thing that scares me is that they'll try to make SG-1 "live on" through Atlantis and that Atlantis will then become nothing but an excuse to continue showcasing SG-1.

Unlikely? Maybe. But then again... I wouldn't put it past them to try.
                            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 12 December 2005, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee
                              However, my main problem is that once Sg-1 is off the air, will Atlantis be able to continue without it? It should be able to, right? I just don't think it will be its own show if it continues to venture into SG-1 territory. It had wonderful parents in SG-1, but now its time for Atlantis to get a job and move out of the house.
                              I believe that Atlantis will be able to continue without SG-1. Personally, I don't think that Atlantis needs to get a job and move out of the house ......the situation seems more like TPTB trying to force SG-1 into Atlantis, not SGA trying to crash in on SG-1.

I like both shows, but Atlantis is my favorite. I only watched SG-1 on occasion and did not really start watching SG-1 until SGA was advertised. SGA is what reeled me into the Stargate universe and I think that can be said for quite a few viewers. My perception is that TPTB are trying to tap into the new viewers who started their stargate experience with SGA and force SG-1 on them. I don't see it as SGA needing or leaning on SG-1, but moreover SG-1 trying to take advantage of the spin-off and increase its viewership.

Comment

Working...
                              X