Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timeless design that lasted over 30 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timeless design that lasted over 30 years!

aint it cool that the kept with the good old saucer design for the federation ships?.
    i mean it must have blown the veiwers away back in the 60s with the Enterprise A looking the way it did, since then the same principle goes for later shows and series.
    i never really used to think much into it but but now i think its a rather genius design to have (and appologies for the incorrect words used) the hull section that is generally attached to the saucer is a good way of going about making a ship, i think the best display of this timeless design is TNG move "generations" as you know if you have seen it the Enterprise D seperates leaving the hull for lack of a better word behind in an effort to save the crew, i wonder if this was a design element that gene rodennberry input when he thought up the old enterprise because back then humans hadn't landed on the moon and as far as ships go at this time i cant really think of a more simple design or a more futuristic design for a ship.
    he was ahead of his time and the design has lasted for over 30 years which in it's self is testimony to its geneius.
    however in past episode ships from the future and so on had ditched the design of a saucer which was never as good and i am just wondering if other fans thought the same about this?

so any discussion is welcome of course
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Personally I love the design. And Mr. Rodenberry must have thought of the seperation thing because Spock mentions it in an episode of the original series.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
      Personally I love the design. And Mr. Rodenberry must have thought of the seperation thing because Spock mentions it in an episode of the original series.
      cool but they never seperated the ship back then did they? because im not too sure as i havent seen many episodes for TOS?
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

If I read correctly, Rodenberry didn't like the "Rocket" or "Saucer" design. The designer for the Enterprise, got mad and drew the both a "Rocket" and "Saucer" together. Rodenberry like it so much, they refine the design and added the nacelles.

The rest, they say, is history.

Comment

And that is how it goes. Some of the best discoveries in history were accidental. Like penicillin.
          "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
          " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
          Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

The Enterprise from the sixties was not the Enterprise-A. The Enterprise-A didn't appear until 1986 and was last seen in 1991.

Comment

Erm yeah... I wasn't going to mention that

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                cool but they never seperated the ship back then did they? because im not too sure as i havent seen many episodes for TOS?
                No they never actually seperated. I can't remember what episode it is, but essentially it was suggestion made by spock to Kirk to get out of a bad situation. The Star Trek Encyclopedia also mentions that on the original Enterprise, once the Saucer seperated It can't be reattached, so it was meant as an emergeny measure.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
                  The Enterprise from the sixties was not the Enterprise-A. The Enterprise-A didn't appear until 1986 and was last seen in 1991.
                  It's neat to see the design change over the years.

Enterprise NCC-1701 (Constitution Class, Retrofit in ST: TMP)
                  Enterprise NCC-1701-A (Retrofit Constitution Class)
                  Enterprise NCC-1701-B (Excelsior Class)
                  Enterprise NCC-1701-C (Ambassador Class)
                  Enterprise NCC-1701-D (Galaxy Class)
                  Enterprise NCC-1701-E (Sovereign Class)
                  Last edited by Jarnin; 13 December 2005, 01:59 AM.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

There are some really cool designs out there on the net of other starship designs that have come from the books and RPG's. And they were not always saucer. For example I think it was the Daedalus class that had the circular ball shaped design.
                    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                    Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                      There are some really cool designs out there on the net of other starship designs that have come from the books and RPG's. And they were not always saucer. For example I think it was the Daedalus class that had the circular ball shaped design.
                      Yeah, that's correct. The Daedalus class had the spherical primary hull. And if you can remember, Beverly Crusher captained the USS Pasteur in All Good Things. It also had a spherical bridge/accommodation section. It was an Olympic class, very similar to the Daedalus class.
                      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Actually, you guys are in the wrong universe when it comes to Stargate... the human ships look more like ships from the Wing Commander universe (the video game series) then Star Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                          Actually, you guys are in the wrong universe when it comes to Stargate... the human ships look more like ships from the Wing Commander universe (the video game series) then Star Trek.
                          Wait a minute, I thought we were in the right universe? Aren't we talking about federation ship designs in the Star Trek forum?
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                            Yeah, that's correct. The Daedalus class had the spherical primary hull. And if you can remember, Beverly Crusher captained the USS Pasteur in All Good Things. It also had a spherical bridge/accommodation section. It was an Olympic class, very similar to the Daedalus class.

theyre not that similar theyre 100's of years apart apart from the spherical bit theyre completely different

Comment

They make for some swell models, too.

Want to see some of my favorites people have done? Okay!

TOS Enterprise
                              http://www.starshipmodeler.org/galle...enterprise.htm

Enterprise-C
                              http://www.starshipmodeler.org/galle...nterprisec.htm

These are just a hint of what's out there. I don't feel like scouring the internet for the others I like.

Comment

Working...
                              X