Page 1 of 99 12341151 ... LastLast

Heartbroken STAKS: The Anti-Kirking Discussion Thread

Doesn't matter what the thread's meant to be about anymore, or so it seems.
    Last edited by Tracy Jane; July 17th, 2006 at 04:23 AM. Reason: List Update
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Default Re: Shippers and Thunkers Against Kirk Syndrome

I wholeheartedly endorse this initiative. Let's leave the 1967 Kirk syndrome where it belongs - in ST: TOS.

I like Kirk syndrome - allows a steady stream of hot Ancient women
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have. so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

LOL

well i do have to admit that it does get rather predictible that, if the guest star is a female, it'll likely be daniel, jack or cam who 'relates' with her, while if it's a male, then poor sam has a boyfriend on every planet (most of which die )

first of all, t-man really needs to get more action, and second of all, why does it always have to be RELATIONSHIP?

Staff Sergeant

Grr. If I wanted to watch Kirk, I'd watch Trek.

Second Lieutenant

Well I'm not a shipper, but I applaud your efforts. The Kirk syndrome is ridiculous. I loved Star Trek, but I would never go for a man wearing a gold shirt with black boots. Tacky!

Sadly I agree with Skydiver though. If a guest star is the opposite gender of a main character, they are probably going to suffer from uncontrollable libido syndrome.

Glad I'm not alone!

And yes, you're right, Skydiver. I mean, yes, Daniel, Jack etc have multiple women (I almost wrote boyfriends then, oops!) but Sam has every male character going. Not good for her supposed integrity, and if J/S is canon, why have her with every male guest going?

In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!

*reads thread*

*nods head in agreement*

Yup...DOWN WITH KIRK SYNDROME!

Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

I'm in complete agreement. Captain Kirking is a waste of screen time and degrades the characters who are participating. I especially hate it when it's interferring with my favorite ship. (**READ THE SIG**)

Yes, just bumped into you on your ship's thread. I like the term "Captain Kirking" as a verb. Nice!

Well, in certain cases the Kirk thing isn't too bad if it is done once in a great while for example McKay in The Brotherhood if you count that one. But I reall ydislike it when it is done so badly like Sheppard in Sanctuary.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3967&dateline=1196580684
Your Current Signature Picture

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!

This is what I was saying about the whole upcoming
    Spoiler:
    Shep/Weir kiss in TLG
    . I couldn't give a hoot about said event and the connoctations, more how they are degrading Sheppard's character.

It's just getting boring now. Whilst I can't say Epiphany is the worst SGA ep I've ever seen, I found it disappointing that
    Spoiler:
    the backstory elements that Joe Flanigan has raved about adding to his story were ripped out by TPTB in favour of him chewing face with another woman. It was just unnecessary to the storyline me thinks, to have him copping off, yet again. And only 4 episodes after *that* kiss with Teyla - circumstances aside.

Not to mention the fact that I think "Captain Kirking" Sheppard is just a waste of Joe Flanigan's acting abilities...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nerreasons.jpg
    ~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Occasionally Kirking can be useful to character development and stuff, like GatetheWay said. I tried to think of an example. I was going to say in the case of Jack/Kerry, it highlighted his feelings for Sam, but at the end of the day, the whole episode was pointless.

Occasional romantic interaction is human. However, every week is just stupid. It makes the characters seem like a load of Freshers, hell bent on bedding as many as possible in a year/season.

Quote Originally Posted by knocknashee
    Spoiler:
    Shep/Weir kiss in TLG
    . I couldn't give a hoot about said event and the connoctations, more how they are degrading Sheppard's character.

It's just getting boring now. Whilst I can't say Epiphany is the worst SGA ep I've ever seen, I found it disappointing that
    Spoiler:
    the backstory elements that Joe Flanigan has raved about adding to his story were ripped out by TPTB in favour of him chewing face with another woman. It was just unnecessary to the storyline me thinks, to have him copping off, yet again. And only 4 episodes after *that* kiss with Teyla - circumstances aside.

Not to mention the fact that I think "Captain Kirking" Sheppard is just a waste of Joe Flanigan's acting abilities...
    I whole heartedly agree with you in that aspect. I'd rather see no ship, than these pathetic excuses for romance that are Captain Kirking. Seriously, that was the 60s. This is the modern day. That's why I joined this thread. All shippers, and even non-shippers can agree that Captain Kirking is a waste.

Lieutenant General Southern Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knocknashee
    Spoiler:
    Shep/Weir kiss in TLG

Spoiler:

Boy have you hit the nail on the head. This whole scenario has been bothering me since Sanctuary, and now we learn it's going to get even worse this year. I guess the upside is if you guest star on SGA, you know you're going to get to kiss Joe Flanigan. (and you're a woman, of course) Not only do we not have any back story on him, now we're led to believe he is willing to hook up with every woman who comes along. Oh wait, are they trying to convince us that he's irresistible? If so, I think we figured that one out a long time ago. But in spite of that, some of us would like to see more of his acting ability. Ship prejudice aside, IMHO the Kirk thing is getting old.

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

When it comes to Stargate I'd rather they laid off the ship, since it's always done really poorly in my opinion. Just look at the whole Sam/Jack debacle...

I have no objection to romance as long as it is done well and tackled properly...however, with Sheppard, it seems to be very much that, wherever there is a woman off-world, TPTB have him in there, like an intergallactic gigolo...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nerreasons.jpg
    ~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

It's HIS fault, he was all for gratuitious sex

But that's TPTB that are writing it in, which just makes the whole show cheap. We just don't tune in to see who Shep's bedded this week.

In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!

I'm gonna do a quick list of the various Kirk-type 'romances' in Stargate to date

(note: this could take some time, so if you have some RL to do, please do it before reading any further )

SG1 Season One
    Brief Candle - Jack/Kynthia - vile...he sleeps with someone who's a month old. What was the whole point of it? Plus it was creepy
    Hathor - Daniel/Jack/Hathor - just wrong!
    Enigma - Sam/Narim - just strange and frankly a bit out-of-the-blue

Honourable mentions - Jack and Sam's exes both turn up within the first 6 eps

Season Two
    Need - Daniel/the Princess who's name I can't remember - again...point? was there one?

Season Three
    Past and Present - Daniel/Kiera - one episode after Sha're's death???? WTF?
    A Hundred Days - Jack/Laira - need I say anything?

'Honourable' mention - Jolinar/Martouf/Lantash

Season 4
    Crossroads - Teal'c/Shaun'ac - okay...good ep...but why did she have to be an old flame?
    The Curse - Daniel/Sarah - wow...one Kirking episode actually has a point!
    2010 - Sam/Joe - ?????

Season Five
    Ascension - Sam and Orlin - 'implied' intimacy in s9, but was there any in the ep?

Season Six

OMG...Nothing!

Season Seven
    Birthright - Teal'c/Ishta - actually serves some purpose...I think
    Chimera - Sam/Pete - I would have though that Osiris and Sarah would have been more important personally

Season Eight
    Affinity - Sam/Pete , Teal'c/Krista - first one is pointless in this ep, second one is completely wrong!
    Sacrifices - Teal'c/ishta - suddenly Affinity is forgotten

Season One SGA
    Poisoning the Well - Carson/The Scientist whose name I don't remember - Okay...this one may be valid
    Sanctuary - Sheppard/Chaya - would have been a good ep, if they hadn't put in the customary kiss and stuff

Honourable mention - Simon - Weir's boyfriend

Season Two
    Duet - McKay/Brown, Beckett/Cadman, McKay/Kadman, McKay/Beckett - highly entertaining but...

That's as far as I've seen...but c'mon...Kirking's getting a little old!

Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Thanks for the list there, Sue. Season Seven also has the ep with Jonas plus the Goauld woman. Dunno if that counts cos he's no longer a main cast member, but good as.